Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American accent v English accent

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

both
    I like the brummy accent myself. The milder one. Actually the milder of most natural accents in the English speaking world are or can be attractive to listen to. They each have their own song. I do find the Aussie accent with it's extreme uplift/questioning end with each and every bloody sentence does irritate TBH. Ditto when other accents start to add this in. The Dort accent can have it. Another bloody irritating one for me is the Dort mixed with an excessive faux American twang, particularly among women. *shudder*.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

english
    tolosenc wrote: »
    That's French...
    From Quebec. ;)

I didn't bother playing it first :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Wibbs wrote: »
    I like the brummy accent myself. The milder one.

I love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

english
    scatter wrote: »
    Which do you find more annoying to listen to ???? American OR English:confused:

American - so nasally it goes straight through my head.
    Not to mention the fact that they seem intent of taking over any seminar you have, incoming headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Yer wan off the Kildare Village ad wins most annoying accent ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

english
    I quite like most english accents, I actually tend to imitate them while driving to work. I especially like doing a london accent when some bastard cuts me off. "You facking fack! Wot you at? You Cant!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

both
    Wibbs wrote: »
    I do find the Aussie accent with it's extreme uplift/questioning end with each and every bloody sentence does irritate TBH.

A soft Ozzie accent is a beautiful thing, like a lullaby.

Cork accents get an awful doing but I once had a housemate who had the most beautiful, musical Cork accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Both inferior to the donegal accent, sometimes when i hear myself i need a cold shower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Theres some Irish accents I hate, let alone English or American ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Arianna_26 wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that they seem intent of taking over any seminar you have, incoming headache.

Erm i think you are generalising an itsy bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Edz87 wrote: »
    Why isn't the Northern Ireland accent an option? Its like a law that when ever an annoying accent poll comes up the Northern Irish accent MUST be an option.

You better hope the UN doesn't find out about this..

Bannable offence

:eek:

A good looking girl with a Nordie accent.....

<heart melts>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I hate Hyundai Accents. Where are they in the Poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the worst English accenmt is that one that Irish people use when telling a joke or similar that they think is really good but is totally pathetic. Second one is mine now it's been polluted in Co-ork for 24 ye-ars, Bhoi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

both
    Maybe a stupid question...but aren't there more than a few accents in these countries? The New York accent annoys me, the West Coast, not so much. The Scouse accent annoys me but I quite like the Posh London accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

both
    Maybe a stupid question...but aren't there more than a few accents in these countries?.
    If you look back in the thread you'll see that question has already been alluded to several times .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

neither
    Maybe a stupid question...but aren't there more than a few accents in these countries? The New York accent annoys me, the West Coast, not so much. The Scouse accent annoys me but I quite like the Posh London accent.

3 accents in America.. Nworlene, southern and American.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

both
    RichieC wrote: »
    3 accents in America.. Nworlene, southern and American.

Mehicaaaann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

both
    http://aschmann.net/AmEng/#LargeMap

Click onto a State or Province to hear audio of the various accents of North America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The Scouse accent annoys me but I quite like the Posh London accent.
    Oh yeah, nothing invites a jolly rogering from this man more than a posh bird's accent.

Advertisement