Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast Iron fireplace

• 18-11-2011 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi, I need advice about filling a gap between the fireplace and the wall. Any advice would be well appreciated.

The fireplace was fitted a few years ago. There's a gap between the wall and cast iron surround. i think it was originally filled with mortar, but it's cracking and falling away. The gap is about 1/2 an inch. Do you think I should chip away the loose parts and fill it again with mortar or use something different? I don't have a picture, it's in my relations house.Untitled-2-1.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

Hiya,

I'm sure if i'm off joey the lips will sort me out :D but the same happened to my new fireplace when i moved in to my new house.

I pulled out loose mortar and used a filler - a flexible filler to fill the gap all around. Smooth it and you can paint over it. Some say one hour or immediately - they're lying! - leave it a half a day or overnight.

Neater/cleaner than mortar as you'll use a gun.

Hope it helps - i feel for you as no one has answered.

PS a big hardware store will have best range of products.

My local has a lovely little man named jim who knows EVERYTHING :)

Hope it helps,

Rose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭cottz2006

Thanks very much Rose. I'll go to the hardware shop and see what they have:)

Advertisement