Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Present for newborn

Options
  • 18-11-2011 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My cousin is due a baby at the end of Novemeber and normally when a family member has a new baby we all get the baby something, but as well as getting the baby something, we also have to buy him/her a Christmas present and also we have the Christening in Jan.

The parents of the baby have already got everything, tonnes of clothes, moses basket, car seat, pushchair, cot/cradle, cot/cradle toys etc.

I was thinking of getting something like this for the baby so when baby is few months old he/she can use it, but I don't know if it'd be okay as a present? I'd like to get something that baby will get some use from, not something that can be used one and then left in it's box getting no use.

I need something that will do for a newborn present and also a Christmas present, I can't really afford to buy 3 presents one after the other so was thinking of this as a present for the newborn and for Christmas, and maybe I could get something small and inexpensive for the Christening?

http://www.toys.ie/Discover-N-Grow-Kick--Play-Piano-!115943-prd.aspx

I am heading to Dublin for a day in early Dec so could pick it up then (also giving me time to get the €60 together for it).

I'd appreciate some suggestions, although I'd like to keep costs as low as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

http://www.mothercare.ie/my-jungle-family-bouncing-cradle.html

My friend got this for me when my little man was born. He is now three months old and he is still in it. It is one of the best things that I got. He sits in it when im doing things during the day and also we can play with him with it. I would recommend something even like this. He loves sitting in it too as he loves to kick and move too. But make sure that it bounces, we got another present of one which is in the granny's house and it doesn't bounce, so he is not too impressed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

A toy like that is a great idea. We got a few toys for 6 months+ when our baby was born and it was great to have new toys to take out as she got older without having to buy them.

The piano is lovely. Something like one of these activity centres might be a slightly cheaper option. Tesco have one of these on offer at the moment too, it's 50 eur reduced to 25.

http://www.toys.ie/Vtech-First-Steps-Baby-Walker-!100463-prd.aspx

http://www.toys.ie/Winnie-the-Pooh-Activity-Baby-Walker-!101989-prd.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

I think yours or the others suggestions are all great, and would be really appreciated. I got very few presents like that, but loved the ones I did get. My little fella is now almost 14 months old, and hands down a gift like this would be perfect. I wouldn't worry either about Christmas/christening present, they really are not expected at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The vtech walkers are a great present too.
    They can't really use them until about 6 months and they get great use out of them until they are at least 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

I have one and its defo a great present. My little boy is 5 and a half months now and still plays in it and loves it. However you can get ones that are actually better than that and cheaper. Tesco have a sale on baby toys at the mo and i know they do a play mat/gym similar to this for apprx 30. Shop around for better prices, but do get it, its a great toy. Baby will gets lots of amusement from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks so much to all of you for your replies and helpful suggestions. The Vtech walkers look like they'd be a good bet, sounds like Junior would get a lot of use from it.

I will have a look around and see what I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Personally I would have loved cot bedding (bumper, sheets etc) as they work out so expensive when the time comes for baby to move into the cot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Sophie la Girafe is a great useful gift too.

Advertisement