Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mosses basket verses Cots

Options
  • 18-11-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

We will have twins coming home in a few weeks( We hope) and just wondering what others thoughts on putting them into a mosses basket or straight into a cots, Money is a bit tight, and our budget is small.
    so your ideas and thoughts would be appreciated:D
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

I personally like the moses basket to start off with. You can have them beside the bed and they are not too big. My little man is 3 months old and still in it and it is so handy having him beside the bed as he still wakes during the night. Some moses baskets are quite resonable and if you got them now they would do you until the christmas sales where you might get some good bargains on cots. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Never had a moses basket & didn't miss it. We put the cot right next to our bed so my daughters were only a foot away, and then when it was nap time we brought them to the cot or put them in the day cot/playpen we had in the living room.

With twins I can't imagine it'd be easy to lug around 2 moses baskets, but you could put both of them in a cot together. Personal preference I suppose, I know of many people who loved their moses basket but I didn't think it worth the money for a few months' use.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

If money is tight I wouldn't bother with a moses basket, we weren't going to use one, only for a friend offered us a lend of her one. My friends has twins and she put them both in one cot, so they are still in the room with them and all. Once they get bigger they will go into their own cots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I had my little man in a moses basket until tonight... he's 9 weeks old.
    I wasn't going to get one, but was given one as a gift, otherwise he'd have been straight into a cot.
    I'd be happy enough putting twins into a cot together from birth, there'll be enough other things you'll have to buy two of without buying moses baskets. Even if you do get ones as gifts or borrow two, they might be handier to keep downstairs while babies are napping during the day and keep the cot upstairs for night time sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

We had our little fella in a moses basket, he is now just over 3 months old and too big for it (he is growing fast). But the cot we have in his room is way too big to move into our room. So we ended up buying a small cot too - so we have a moses basket, a small cot and a bigger cot!

My advice is that moses baskets are great, but you might be better off getting a small cot which can fit beside your own bed instead. It will last longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I would never have been a moses basket fan and would have skipped using one altogether if we hadn't been given one. If it was one baby I'd definitely recommend them, just for the idea of them being nice and snug, but as you have twins at it would mean buying two I'd just go straight to the cot if I was you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Moses baskets,my 1st was in there until she was about 8 months and my baby until about 5 months.
    If I had twins I have to say I would not bother I would just put them in the same cot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

thanks for your replies, We still haven't really decided, I am likely to go with just cots, probably one to start of with and then buy another at later stage when they are bigger. At the moment they are in incubators, so it will be while longer now before they will be out or discharged home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

We have a small cot that fits in out room and used it for the first 2 weeks. Then we borrowed a moses basket. Moses basket is far far better imho. Takes up less room, can carry the baby into the sitting room in the morning, easy to take it over to someones house if you need to.
    But for 2 twins a moses basket is way too small.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

purplecat wrote: »
    thanks for your replies, We still haven't really decided, I am likely to go with just cots, probably one to start of with and then buy another at later stage when they are bigger. At the moment they are in incubators, so it will be while longer now before they will be out or discharged home.

I didn't realise that they were here already.
    I hope they and you are all doing well.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I didn't realise that they were here already.
    I hope they and you are all doing well.

Yes Moonbeam, they came early, at 28wks, but they are doing really well.
    We have nothing, bought or anything, we just focus on them now hope that they will be home after Christmas.
    They are doing a lot better, then me, they have 24hour care, I have make sure that I look after myself, been pushing myself a lot lately, because I missed them, and try to visit and see them as much as we can, but its hard. but hoping things will improve for us... :)

Paparazzo wrote: »
    We have a small cot that fits in out room and used it for the first 2 weeks. Then we borrowed a moses basket. Moses basket is far far better imho. Takes up less room, can carry the baby into the sitting room in the morning, easy to take it over to someones house if you need to.
    But for 2 twins a moses basket is way too small.

My mum, said she will buy two moses baskets, she said that they might feel more secure in the moses baskets as it would be same incubator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

purplecat wrote: »
    My mum, said she will buy two moses baskets, she said that they might feel more secure in the moses baskets as it would be same incubator.

Cool! Moses basket looks far more comfortable and no drafts can get in. Good point by your mum! We don't even use the hood part.

Good luck with the twins. Remember to get plenty of sleep while you can and eat well. Things will get much better when you get them home and get a bit of a routine going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have no idea where to put twins to sleep, I cant even imagine having two little babies int he house to mind.

But purplecat, your due date was around mine I think (end of jan) and I just wanted to say, I hope you little ones come home soon and grow big and strong. I'll be thinking of you when I get my hands on my little boy next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RA girl

Hi there,
    Congrats on your twins. We had ours in Feb 2010, although they weren't born as early as yours. They will come along in leaps and bounds believe me. Try and mind yourself too though while they are in still in hospital and get as much organised at home because we're still getting things organised at home :( I really wish I had done it all before they arrived home.
    Just wanted to say though that I have two lovely moses baskets and stands for sale at the moment. If you are interested just let me know.

Advertisement