Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting small craft business

Options
  • 18-11-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Hope Im in the right section. My query is regarding the legal issues of setting up a small craft business.

Basically my mother has been attending farmer's markets selling knitted goods and kindling. She has a circle of friends who make various homemade items.

She has an opportunity to rent a small garage space on a roadside (part of a pub/restaurant building) and is hoping to sell wares made by herself and her friends. Its a very small enterprise, and I imagine the profits will be small. It is a community adventure, they are not interested in profits. Its more a lifestyle thing.

I am assuming this is not as simple a situation as it seems. I've been reading up on setting up a business, and it sounds to me like she must register as a sole trader. But I dont have a clue really.

Will she be eligible for the USC charge?

Just looking for any pointers. Do you think it is worth the effort or would she end up being tied to alot of paper work and red tape?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Advertisement