Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qs: best time to sleep and circadian rhythms?

Options
  • 18-11-2011 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

hey people!

when is the best time to sleep? is it better to get 8 hours starting at 10pm
    or does it make any difference if it's later so long as you get the 8 hours (or
    however much you need). is there any scientific research into this? :)

also, by how much can you change your circadian rhythms per day? i'm trying
    to sleep earlier but it seems difficult to establish a new pattern!

i can get to sleep by 11pm but i tend to wake up about 3 hours later. if i
    go to sleep after 12am i sleep straight through for the night . anyone got
    any ideas what might cause this? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GregoryD

hi, 2 things:

1. about your question on which 8 hour period is better:
    i can not remember the name of the book, but i read that every hour of sleep before midnight is equal to 2 hours after midnight
    you can google about this i'm sure there is more info

it is all coming from the way we have evolved and most of our evolution happened when the light bulb did not exist so our bodies are designed to sleep when the dark comes

2. about your question on disrupted sleeping hours:
    actually this has to do with what they call sleep hygiene or discipline
    the reason its all messed up for you is because you have broken down all the body's clocks inside
    to correct it you need to set a sleeping time and EVERY DAY WITHOUT EXCEPTION go to bed at that time and wake up at that time no matter what.
    of course it will be hard but the body will get used to it and slowly you will fix your sleeping hours

best of luck

Advertisement