Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window vents

• 18-11-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi
    I have a ground floor apartment and every winter the water is running off the windows. I ne'er turn the heat on in my bedroom cos I find it irritates my sinus issues so the room does be very cold. I even leave it open a crack but still there is a lot of condensation. In my front room obv the heats on and it's where we dry clothes so there will be more moisture but no matter what I do the condensation is awfull. The vents in all rooms on the walls are all open. Anyone know anything about the big circular vents you sometime see on the window panes? I am beginning to think one day I will drown in all the water in this place!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

you need to try and cut down on the moisture being generated, in the home, and/or increase the ventilation where moisture is generated.
    whats happening is that the moisture in the air, is coming into contact with the cold glass, and turning back to water.
    you mention drying clothes, can you increase the ventilation in this part of the home, is there a extractor fan in the kitchen, bathroom, shower etc.

If you have double glazed windows the circular vents cannot be fitted without replacing the glass units.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lauracrehan

No extractor fan, only the one over the hob? But I'm guessing that wouldnt do? Could I put more wall vents in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Well if the only mechanical ventilation, in the apartment in over the hob, you can see the problem.
    Bathroom steam, shower, cooking, and worse of all drying clothes, is generating a lot of moisture which is not being cleared.

As an example, weigh a wet shirt, and again when its dry, the difference is water, and where has the water gone, into the air in your apartment.

I cannot advise on extra vents, you will have to get someone to look at it, but certainly see if you can fit an extractor in the bathroom, make sure the one in kitchen is working properly, and consider if you can dry clothes another way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A dehumidifier might be worth trying. The manual for mine states it can be used to dry clothes for a fraction of the cost to run a dryer to do the same job.

It pulls the water out of the air and you then tip it down the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lauracrehan

Will give that a shot! Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
Advertisement