Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves

• 18-11-2011 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭

I just read the new DES circular regarding Pension Related Deduction (PRD).

"PRD was introduced from the 1st March 2009 as part of the Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Act 2009. Where a public servant has access to a pension scheme all income is subject to PRD. This applies to non pensionable income as well as pensionable income. "

So if you're working in a pub at night to make ends meet, or renting out your second house they want to take PRD from it because we're public servants???

When it has nothing to do with your job, or with the public service???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I'm more annoyed about the fact that they waited until December to take the money from us - even though the fact that we owe it is their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

If they take a deduction from non-related earnings, it's a tax on the person and not on the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think it's in relation to work done within the public sector and not necessarily working in a bar at weekends etc.

E.g. any teacher that corrects the state exams has to pay pension levy on money earned from corrections :( but we do not receive a pension from the SEC. It's a pure balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Just to follow up on rainbowtrout's contribution, if you did work with the SEC in 2010 from which PRD was deducted, you are entitled to claim back any overpayment from your main employer - in the case we're discussing now, the DES.

SEC earnings for serving teachers have all deductions done at the highest possible rate. In the case of PRD, this means 10.5pc. A teacher earning between 50k and 60k gross would be on a PRD of about 6.5pc. Send your statement of earnings from the SEC into the DES now to have the two reconciled. This would also apply to nightclasses in a VEC or community school, school completion project work etc... I have only sent this in now having been jolted into action by Thursday's payslip however I've no regrets. If they want to be petty in recouping the 50 euro or so they claim I owe, I will make life as hard as I can for them.

I'll probably follow up with a phone call midweek and I'm not ruling out throwing in words like 'solicitor' and 'theft' because my calculation is that I'm entitled to a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

linguist wrote: »
    Just to follow up on rainbowtrout's contribution, if you did work with the SEC in 2010 from which PRD was deducted, you are entitled to claim back any overpayment from your main employer - in the case we're discussing now, the DES.

SEC earnings for serving teachers have all deductions done at the highest possible rate. In the case of PRD, this means 10.5pc. A teacher earning between 50k and 60k gross would be on a PRD of about 6.5pc. Send your statement of earnings from the SEC into the DES now to have the two reconciled. This would also apply to nightclasses in a VEC or community school, school completion project work etc... I have only sent this in now having been jolted into action by Thursday's payslip however I've no regrets. If they want to be petty in recouping the 50 euro or so they claim I owe, I will make life as hard as I can for them.

I'll probably follow up with a phone call midweek and I'm not ruling out throwing in words like 'solicitor' and 'theft' because my calculation is that I'm entitled to a refund.

I do some work during the year for the School Completion Programme and pay the PRD on that. So basically I can have some of that subtracted from what I now owe? What do I do., just send in payslips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

linguist wrote: »

I had forgotten about that. I never sent mine in to my VEC last year. Wonder if it's worth anything?

sitstill wrote: »
    I do some work during the year for the School Completion Programme and pay the PRD on that. So basically I can have some of that subtracted from what I now owe? What do I do., just send in payslips?

More or less. Pension levy on earnings that is not your main salary is paid at the highest rate, a bit like emergency tax when you start working. So you may have paid more than you had to by paying the 10.5% rate on these other earnings. If so, your VEC/Dept of Ed are supposed to refund you the difference. I must dig out my SEC statement of earnings from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

So many things make me sick. I often find myself puting my head in the stand to avoid issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement