Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ron Sexsmith

Options
  • 18-11-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Any other fans among us?

One helluva songwriter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

I only clicked on this topic because of his name .....

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

I like him but I prefer it when other people cover his songs. Feist's version of Secret Heart and K. D. Lang's version of Fallen are (IMO) far better than his own. Gold In Them Hills is a great song though and the version with Chris Martin is really good. I went to see him in Galway a few years ago and he was just ok but maybe he was just having an off night.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

I agree there have been some great covers of his work but I like his voice.
    If you haven't already, try his latest album - LONG PLAYER, LATE BLOOMER.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Saw him playing at the Spirit Store in Dundalk a few years back, in fact sat up at the bar with him before the gig - a quiet chap indeed. Disagree on the comment that Feist's cover of Secret Heart is better than the original - he has one of the most unique and interesting voices in the business and that song like he rest he has written are made all the more powerful by that voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 OKeeffer

His latest album is very over-produced I think.

I much prefer his acoustic versions:

• Advertisement

OKeeffer wrote: »
    His latest album is very over-produced I think.

I much prefer his acoustic versions:

Well, with Bob Rock at the desk I guess it might tend to sound over-produced but I think that was exactly what Sexsmith was looking for in this album from what I've read. There's an excellent doc called LOVE SHINES about the making of the new CD which is well worth watching.
    Having said that I also like his acoustic versions. His voice is golden and it really works with or without big instrumentation. Lucky bastard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

I have only become familiar with his work over the past couple of years and I really like what I've heard so far. Great songs and a great voice. All the albums I've heard are really good (Retriever is superb).

Does anybody know whether the January gig at Union Chapel is a solo show or with a band?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Loved his earlier stuff, his albums were filled with nearly all good songs and not just a handful. Only heard of him cos my dad starting liking his music.

I've been listening to EXIT STRATEGY OF THE SOUL a lot lately. Massive stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Looking forward to seeing him for the first time next week. He has an awesome back catalogue and and his current material is equally impressive.

Advertisement