Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chrono itch finally scratched

• 18-11-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

For ages now I have hovered about the usual sites drooling over mechanical (Russian) chronos. And even though the russians are quite affordable, the usual prices of 300+ euro are a bit over my pain threshold.

Today I got lucky and bagsied this machine for little over half the usual price

$(KGrHqYOKnUE64r71gUiBOvSIqqnuQ~~60_12.JPG

The only "problem" with it is that it's not quite Russian, it's in fact a Junkers labelled as "Torpedo" (limited edition of 100 pieces) and assembled in Germany.

So in exchange for russian-ness I get the highest grade of movement finishing and german quality control ...I think that makes up for the unknown label.:D

More pics when I get the watch.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

found a better pic on the net of what the movement ought to look like ...can't wait to get it now

181819.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Beautiful looking movement. But what does the face look like.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Beautiful looking movement. But what does the face look like.

ought to look like this

181839.jpg

Very nice.

Well today I scratched that itch again :D

Just happened to be browsing when a "new in box" Poljot Okeah (Ocean) was listed for about 1/4 of its normal market price as "buy it now".

So of course I bought it. (as you would)

However ... the ad was sufficiently nondescript and the pic poor enough to not really verify that new in box claim. The watch is either dirty or pretty scratched and I've either made the bargain of the month or I've been scammed.

Time shall reveal all :D

$(KGrHqZ,!poE7BcvjC3pBOyOfqkwHQ~~60_3.JPG[img][/img]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

peasant wrote: »
    Well today I scratched that itch again :D

Just happened to be browsing when a "new in box" Poljot Okeah (Ocean) was listed for about 1/4 of its normal market price as "buy it now".

So of course I bought it. (as you would)

However ... the ad was sufficiently nondescript and the pic poor enough to not really verify that new in box claim. The watch is either dirty or pretty scratched and I've either made the bargain of the month or I've been scammed.

Time shall reveal all :D

Jeez, if that itch doesn't settle down, you might need to get a cream or something :p

Two chronos should be enough really ...unless .... a real bargain original Strela screams "buy me" ...but that's highly unlikely. These things tend to cost a fortune, being the first watch in space and all that.
    strela.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

peasant wrote: »
    found a better pic on the net of what the movement ought to look like ...can't wait to get it now

181819.jpg

Valjoux 7733 movement.

http://valjoux-7733.blogspot.com/

hi5 wrote: »
    Valjoux 7733 movement.

http://valjoux-7733.blogspot.com/

Close, but no cigar :D

It's a development of the Valjoux 7734 (with date) with a few extra jewels and some other refinements. I say development and not copy because Poljot at the time bought the whole shebang ...designs, patents and the machinery and to this day (in the form of Maktime) makes the 3133 movement and its derivatives (with moonphase or 24h complication) on the very same machines.

a comparison of both movements for the technophiles:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/poljot-3133-vs-valjoux-7734-lysanderxii-224306.html

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

• Advertisement

I see the production of the Okeah is coming to an end

Not just the Okeah though, all Russian chronos :(

Rumour has it it that Maktime will shut up shop completely early next year.

After the collapse of the Soviet union, Poljot (formerly know as 1st Moscow watch factory) got into difficulties and was split up into several smaller companies. Poljot was a huge factory, employing thousands with its own school, hospital, shops and so on.
    There have been all sorts of follow-on operations that operate from that huge campus; among them Volmax (Moscow classic), Buran, Denissov and Maktime.

But Maktime are the only ones making movements and mostly movements at that. So if they close that will mean that there will be no more 3133 chronos or 3105 hand-wind movements for the others to stuff into their watches.

Vostok is apparently working on a chrono movement but if that will ever see the light of day is another question, as Vostok aren't exactly swimming in money either.

Quite a few non-russian watchmakes have also used these movements (Junkers/Zeppelin being the biggest one) so I for one will be sad to see them go.

This was also the reason why I felt he need to scratch the itch now (and not in a few months when prices potentially skyrocket)

Peasant, a wealth of information as always.

I was considering buying a second hand chrono next year, but as you say the prices could rise fast.

so, I took the plunge and ordered one of the "okeah limited edition" on watchuseek.

They all are :D

The "Strela" type chrono was made in the 60's and 70's with 3017 crown wheel movement.

Poljot bought the Swiss Valjoux movement and machines in the late 70's, discontinued the 3017 movement and made the 3133 instead (lever type chrono instead of crown wheel).

To my knowledge no more Strelas were built while Poljot was still Soviet, neither with the 3017 nor with the 3133. (Instead they made the Sturmanskie and Okeah chronos and many others.)

3133 powered Strela replicas / re-issues have been made from the late 90's onwards by different offsprings of the former Poljot company and with different names ...some are still called Poljot, others are called Poljot international, Pilot, Sturmanskie or even Strela.

But once the 3133 dies (if it does indeed die) not even those replicas/re-issues will be available anymore.
    Then again ...somebody will probably make them with a Chinese crown wheel movement and bring them closer again to the original :D

Tuesday is chrono day ....

Both chronos arrived today and both are all (and more) that I had hoped they would be. The black one obvously has only been worn a few times, no marks on it apart from an already curved strap and the blue one is really and actually brandnew and flawless :)

Sorry about the mediocre pictures, better ones once there is proper daylight.

183078.jpg
    183079.jpg
    183080.jpg
    183081.jpg

Very nice. Congrats P.

Looking good.

That OKEAH was a steal at that price! :)

I'd put a blue leather strap on that one.

• Advertisement

I'd put a blue leather strap on that one.

Actually I have a milanaise mesh in the post (that was initially earmarked for another project), I might just put that on. Not a great fan of blue leather, although I agree, it would look good on that watch.

The brown strap it came with is neither here nor there, really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

The OKEAH looks a little like the Hamilton Paneurop below. A nice brown rallye strap would look good on it I reckon.

ziok1w.jpg

The strap question is settled :D

183246.jpg
    183247.jpg

pics now with added daylight :D

183546.jpg
    183547.jpg
    183548.jpg

Advertisement