Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limit of 32 days leave for ALL public servants

• 18-11-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Heard this yesterday as part of the big announcement. Didn't pay any heed to it but someone told me that someone told them etc..that there is a plan down the line to have us in in June supervising and correcting and this 32 days will eventually be applied to us somehow...anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It can only be heresay for now. My main fear is that the government never thought of making correcting exams part of our job until you just wrote it there. They've now seen your post and we are all doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I don't think teachers will fit into that scheme. If we were restricted to X amount of days off, we'd have to be able to take them during the year as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

School staff are exempt from the section on standardising leave (obviously).
    Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

If we were restricted to X amount of days off, we'd have to be able to take them during the year as normal.

Why ? Your holidays are at your employers discretion. There are many companies that tell their staff to take holidays for x number of days at certain times of the year i.e. Analog Devices, HP, Intel can and have shut down plants and told everyone they are taking 2,3 or even 4 weeks holidays and there is nothing you can do.

Correcting exams should be part of a teachers duties and if you have to supervise exams you should not be getting expenses to get to the exam centre. You don't get them for getting to school during term time so why should you get them for supervising exams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

amen wrote: »
    Why ? Your holidays are at your employers discretion. There are many companies that tell their staff to take holidays for x number of days at certain times of the year i.e. Analog Devices, HP, Intel can and have shut down plants and told everyone they are taking 2,3 or even 4 weeks holidays and there is nothing you can do.

Correcting exams should be part of a teachers duties and if you have to supervise exams you should not be getting expenses to get to the exam centre. You don't get them for getting to school during term time so why should you get them for supervising exams?

Im a primary teacher so I work til July usually anyway. It doesnt apply to me and Im not up to speed on any of the exam correction arrangements. Still if I was sent 50km or so away to supervise or do language orals, Id be looking for milage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Why ? Your holidays are at your employers discretion.

Can you explain this statement ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Can you explain this statement ?

Oh, in fairness, it's fairly predictable commentary from the "I went to school so I am an expert in your job and nobody works as hard as me" brigade:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What about all the 'crap teachers' that the great public would believe we are drowning in?
    Will they be 'crap correctors' too?
    Joe, won't somebody think of the children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Maybe you should think about that for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

This sort of commentary would genuinely do your head in.

While the names of these foreign computery type companies are very impressive I think you'll find that teachers are precisely in that same position. If I wanted to teach a class in school in the first week in August it'd be problematic with my employer. (Obviously I wouldn't be as motivated as the people in those other companies so luckily it doesn't arise in practice)

And I can but gaze forlornly at cheap holidays in, say, January, March or November and remember the glory days when I worked in the private sector and could avail of such a holiday on more or less any date - generally unhindered by my employer.

You should avoid stupid generalisations. We didn't all come down in the last shower you know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement