Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have NEVER had a break on my 8 hour shifts for the last 2 1/2 years... please help!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Eire362436

Do you know what, Mr Dread, I was going to suggest that you are a public servant, but thought that would be a cheap shot. Given your confirmation that you actually are, you are in no position to make any comment on anything that happens out here in the real world. Thank you, and good night. Enjoy the champagne and strawberries while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Eire362436 wrote: »
    will do !!! :D

What do you work at?

That's scandalous mate, I can't believe you've allowed this to go on: As the old saying goes, you have to give someone permission to walk all over you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Do you know what, Mr Dread, I was going to suggest that you are a public servant, but thought that would be a cheap shot. Given your confirmation that you actually are, you are in no position to make any comment on anything that happens out here in the real world. Thank you, and good night. Enjoy the champagne and strawberries while you can.
    I'm in the real world. That wage I get every month is real. It could have been real for you as well as they were recruiting in 2008/9. Highly competitive to get in though. As I said, the cream of the crop.

If you just think I'm being an arse for the sake of it, I'm not. I spend a lot of time campaigning against worker exploitation. Everybody should have the same benefits that I enjoy. I've been campaigning against WPP slave labour since it came out. Workers need to unite on these things. A person not taking their entitlements undermines the rest of us.

Keyzer, meet Mister Dread. You'll make a lovely couple. Neither of you have any idea of the nature of my job, nor the amount of time, effort and sleepless nights that have gone in to making it survive in a very tough {private} sector.
    I came here looking for advice, not cheap judgements and throwaway quotes.

More about yourself, Mister Dread|! That's great, you'd make a fabulous life coach, really you would, until you realise that 'tough love' is generally 'misguided narcissm' with little application nor relevance but to the orator- and never the object of your lecture. Stay where you are, throw a few coins into charity tins from time to time, and wither.

• Advertisement

.... and if 'everyone had the same benefits you enjoy', the country would be even further down the pan.

You seem like a smart chap in your posts. I have no idea why you put up with this for four years? What is your life plan? Did you not see the bigger picture four years ago? You need to see what makes you happy in your life and work towards that although in this case it may be too late. I think your career is in trouble as I don't think the law is fully on your side in this case. Yes you can use NERA and take him to court, win 10K or so but your working life will probably take a far bigger hit. And future employers are not going to like a man that goes to the labour court. Emigrate.

Now, was that so difficult? Understanding your clients, now THAT is difficult. Good luck.

Good luck indeed in your future. If something i said here stuck (you might just wake up tomorrow and wonder why you are thinking about my posts...) then feel free to send me a message.

And remember

Get Busy LIVING

http://www.getbusyliving.ie/

Rest assured, I won't be thinking about what you've said. Consider these:

"If you don't have empathy, then you have nothing, and all you think you have, you do not."

And, in a similar vein:

"If all you have is gained at the expense of those around you, then your fortune may be measured in ashes."

The revolution is coming. I'm ready.

• Advertisement

The revolution against civil servants? No state in the world has survived without government workers so I won't be too worried about the future. I've a great capacity for empathy but only for those I can relate to.

Who said anything about civil servants? And a life coach who can't relate, can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

mister dread, those in glasshouses shouldnt throw stones.

The CPA wont last til the summer and then the IMF will begin the culling.

Eire362436, go to SIPTU or a union or else get some representation.

Write a letter to your employer outlining your issues. Keep copies of all correspondence.

If there is still no joy go to the labor relations court.

And never mind future employment problems. Your employer will be shamed in the national press if the LRC find against him.

Unions won't be there to help him if he is not a member. Sounds like non-unionised work in any case.

ps. I will never be made redundant. The govt. is happy to pension off public servants despite it costing nearly the same as paying htem a wage. I'd love a bit of redundancy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

As I said earlier I have the same problem and had an interview on Wednesday for a job in the same industry and I told them how I wanted to leave as I don't get breaks and have worked every weekend since Jan and they were appalled with it. Thankfully I got the job and handing in my notice today!!!

Eire362436 good luck with everything and hope it all works out for you, I know how you feel and wish I could give you advice, people on here are right, you should talk to someone about it or just start looking for something else.

Wish you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Unions won't be there to help him if he is not a member. Sounds like non-unionised work in any case.

incorrect.

you dont have to be a member to get help.

Stay where you are, Dread, for you would not last 5 seconds in the rareified atmosphere of the real economy. And yes, comrades, I have joined a union. Unionised workplace or not, a stand is being taken, battle lines drawn, and it is about to be joined. Enjoy your next latte, Dread, and peer occasionally out of your ivory tower. That burning smell? The establishement being held to account for years of repugnant excess, greed, and waste. Hope you're on the right side. The Titanic was unsinkable until a rather large martini embellishment begged to differ and put a little dent in it's perceived and misplaced auru of invincibilty.

As I said I have my life coaching to fall back on. Or my djing. I left the private sector paye work in 2002. Its not for me. I like the good life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

You don't sound like a very good life coach, if your reaction to someone's cry for help is to berate them on a forum. Your original post was out of line, there was no need for it, and it wreaked of me, me, me.

I have tired of this- for you are in no position to comment. A public servant trying to give advice to those struggling with the day-to-day trevails of the real economy is like someone in a black uniform saying "come this way for a shower. It will make all your problems go away."

...and, in a puff of logic, *poof!* I'm back to the real world, comrades.

• Advertisement

Thank you, Toilet Fusion, it's good to hear some proper advice. Good luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

How about growing some balls and speaking to your employer directly rather than whinging on an internet forum?

Jesus, whats wrong with people these days?

Genius, Fat Tony, GENIUS! You think I haven't done that, with no response nand 4 years of trying just about every avenue possible? These forums are supposed to be for advice, I thought, and I'm here looking for that advice, not self-serving egocentric triumphalism. Give yourself a fekkin uppercut- it can only help!

It would appear to me, as a 'newbie' to this, that the forum is populated with a small, yet insidious minority of psuedo apologists and cyber voyeurs looking to peddle their own agendas of judgement, belittlement, and cynicism. Shame on you. To those of you that have offered genuine, empathetic insights, I thank you from my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Genius, Fat Tony, GENIUS! You think I haven't done that, with no response nand 4 years of trying just about every avenue possible? These forums are supposed to be for advice, I thought, and I'm here looking for that advice, not self-serving egocentric triumphalism. Give yourself a fekkin uppercut- it can only help!

You come across as the type of person who deserves everything you get from your employer, He is probably reading this thread now and laughing..

I rest my case, Charlemont. And if we all got 'what we deserved' from our employers, the world would be a much better place. Or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It would appear to me, as a 'newbie' to this, that the forum is populated with a small, yet insidious minority of psuedo apologists and cyber voyeurs looking to peddle their own agendas of judgement, belittlement, and cynicism. Shame on you. To those of you that have offered genuine, empathetic insights, I thank you from my heart.

Eire362436 - apologies, we normally manage to give better quality advice here, you are unfortunate to have had replies from people who are being less than helpful.

Your situation is one that I hate reading about: what your employer is doing is totally illegal, but in the current labour market it's very hard to take a stand against it, so it's very hard to give you any advice at all.

Bottom line is, you need to decide how much you are prepared to put up with, and how much you can risk being fired over a trumped-up issue, if you do take a stand. One option is to just start taking breaks - but I realise that depending on the industry, this could have serious safety / customer consequences, so may not be an option at all.

Personally I would suggest looking for another job before starting legal action ... and yes, in theory at least you should be able to claim for (documented) breaks and overtime.

Everyone else:
    Whilst I can appreciate the point some of you are making, the fact is that making it the way you have doesn't help the OP in any way: s/he needs concrete suggestions, not sanctimonious general statements.

In short, if you cannot say something helpful then please do not post. Any more uphelpful comments, and warnings will be issued.

/moderation

Just Mary- thank you for your input, I thought long and hard about joining boards.ie as I was keen to get some sound advice from like-minded people, but a little hesitant as I have heard it can become a venue for personal agendas.

Many of the contributors have been thoughtful, thought-provoking and genuine. In fact, their advice has convinced me of the moral justness of pursuing a case, which I am now doing. I am thankful to them for their insights and input- it is much appreciated.

Good luck and thank you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I fear that the public/private "divide" is a device concocted by the news media to divide workers and keep them powerless. Nobody gains if a worker feels they have to work with no breaks for long periods in fear of their boss. Also nobody gains by putting public sector workers in the same mess as a lot of the private sector, long hours, uncertain or minimal breaks, litlle or no security etc.

While envious of their wages hours and conditions I don't think it "efficient","right", or "progress" if these conditions are reduced. It is likely that private sector wages and conditions will also be reduced if employers see an opportunity to leverage market opportunity if public sector workers feel pressurised to enter into or compete in the private sector. in the end it will be the lowest paid and least secure workers who will suffer the most if public sector workers are hit with reductions....there will not be any automatic transfer of wealth from public sector reductions of wages/ conditions to their counterparts in the private sector. It is more likely that the government will keep the money to bail out their banker cronies and keep their European Masters happy. Employers in the private sector will use the reduced circumstances in the public sector to further reduce private sector pay and conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Seriously folks just because someone says they're a Civil Servant doesn't make it a reality.

Mr Dread = Troll Not Civil Servant.

The leave gives you away ;)

To the OP best of luck in whatever action you take.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement