Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation Letter and bank statement

Options
  • 18-11-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I'm looking to rent a house from a letting agency and they are asking for a letter of recommendation from my employers. They also asked for a bank statement.

What do letting agencies usually look for in employers letters?

Also are bank statements usually asked for? Would a letter from my bank suffice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

kevmy85 wrote: »
    I'm looking to rent a house from a letting agency and they are asking for a letter of recommendation from my employers. They also asked for a bank statement.

Also are bank statements usually asked for? Would a letter from my bank suffice?

First of all, greetings to all boards.ie members, as this is my first message in the forums. Hope to be helpful in other subforums, although on this one I will be more a leecher than a contributor: I've just arrived in Dublin, and have little to teach other people :-)

kevmy85, as far as I have seen on the Internet, the "bank statement" is a means to show the estate agent or landlord that you are financially capable of paying the rent. What must it contain? From what I've seen, a long enough record of account movements that can show a sustained source of income, to a level adequate for paying the rent, the bills, and everyday expenses.

So, as I understand it, a simple printout of your online banking account movements detail dating back long enough should suffice. I can't tell if the landlord or estate agent will trust that information "as is", or will require some sort of official bank statement (printed in the bank's branded paper, signed by the branch director, stamped in some way or form, etc.).

I will keep an eye in this thread, as I hope it to be helpful to me also, if I can secure an apartment lease and the landlord requires for something like that. So please comment once it's clear what the landlord needs or accepts as valid proof of financial ability to pay for the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

kevmy85 wrote: »
    "This is to certify that kevmy85 is a full-time permanent employee of XYZ Limited." You don't need any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

"This is to certify that kevmy85 is a full-time permanent employee of XYZ Limited." You don't need any more than that.

Im using this when im asked for reference:

To Whom It May Concern,

Firstname, Lastname (DOB XX.XX.XXXX) is a valued employee of XXX since November 1, 2010. She/He is currently employed full-time and is paid on a weekly basis.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact me.

Sincerely,

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kevmy85

Ok thanks.

Yeah I was pretty much thinking along those lines for the employers letter.

I think I might just try and go with the printout of the bank statement from my online banking.

Advertisement