Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seal Around Windows

• 18-11-2011 8:42pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a DIY kind of guy (more likely to build a PC than a fence), a friend of mine called around today and made a comment that I don't have any seals around the windows upstairs in my house, I couldn't let on that I knew nothing about what he was talking about so I brushed it off. I had a look and there seems to be a line of silicon around the downstairs windows, my question is, what should I get to put around the windows upstairs and whether it's something I would be able to do myself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭anticonno16

Put the job up on tradesmen.ie

You'll get someone there to do the job, probably in exchange for food or a hot shower

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've a few friends who work in the building trade, I'm sure they might be able to help out, what would I need to get to put around the windows? Would it be simple silicon like you'd use in a bathroom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm not a DIY kind of guy (more likely to build a PC than a fence), a friend of mine called around today and made a comment that I don't have any seals around the windows upstairs in my house, I couldn't let on that I knew nothing about what he was talking about so I brushed it off. I had a look and there seems to be a line of silicon around the downstairs windows, my question is, what should I get to put around the windows upstairs and whether it's something I would be able to do myself?

Is it around the frame or the seals where the glass sits in ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's around the frames, between the frame and the walls (they are double glazed windows btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Clareman wrote: »
    It's around the frames, between the frame and the walls (they are double glazed windows btw)

Usually plastered up to the inside frame, a chalk filler rather than silicon I would use.

• Advertisement

Thanks altor

Advertisement