Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to meet and socialize dogs (Dublin)?

• 18-11-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi all,

As some of you may know, I recently adopted a lovely adult dog from a rescue.
    She is very friendly towards people and other non-aggressive dogs.
    Unfortunately, she is not good in the car and is only slowly getting used to it. This prevents me from driving long distance to family and friends with which to socialize her (with other dogs).

I just wanted to know if anyone knew of good places for her to meet other dogs? Preferably around North Dublin (Marley park is currently too far for her to travel in the car). Hopefully she could socialize with these dogs, even if to only meet them nose to nose and have a sniff. Everyone around here seems to think it is normal behavior to cross the road / physically drag their dog away before they can properly meet. (This is not only with my dog as I see the same people doing it when Im going to the shop etc.)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Go to any of the beaches, generally like it or not your bound to meet one dog off leash bounding up to say hello (there's always one :p )

They are great socialization spots for a dog, plenty of walking area for others and the dogs who dont want to say hi too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

st annes park in raheny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Malahide Castle is fantastic - me and my girl always meet wonderful people and dogs there - she loves the social interactions even if she is a bit shy (and would rather I just throw her ball!)

I'd happily meet you and let our ladies socialize if you wish as I'm based on the Northside as well - I drive so I'd be happy to meet somewhere near you since that would be easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

st annes beside st pauls, is probably the best known walking stretch in st annes and malahide park and beachs are great too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Starbucks is a great place :D....jking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Griffith Park, Drumcondra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

mosi wrote: »
    Griffith Park, Drumcondra

Our stomping grounds!!! :D:D Thou we can't go back until my baba is all healed up in Jan :( OP a lot of the parks allow the dogs off before 11 and for the last hour before closing. In Griffith Park the dog people generally meet up at the top field and let the dogs off there. I know there's similar gatherings in Albert College park too.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

If you need to travel with your girl OP try spraying DAP in your car and on her car towel/blanket about 10 minutes before you set off.
    The grounds of Ardgillen Castle is nice for walking dogs - open spaces, woods and sea air for smelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Thanks for all the advice people! You guys are great!

Regarding the DAP - she had a DAP collar on at the rescue - and had a hard time coping without it so I'd rather stay away from DAP. But thanks for the suggestion.

I think my first port of call will be Griffith park , it is only about 5-10 minutes away in the car!

Thank you guys so much for the advice, and hopefully I will see you around the area's mentioned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

evilmonkee wrote: »
    I think my first port of call will be Griffith park , it is only about 5-10 minutes away in the car!

Ah what a pity my guy isn't able to go over and play - we could have met up with you!! We live beside the park.

The top field is on the same side of the river as the play ground - so eg if you park on Botanic Ave...head into the park, go over the bridge and take a left and you'll see the path up to the top. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Malahide Castle is fantastic - me and my girl always meet wonderful people and dogs there - she loves the social interactions even if she is a bit shy (and would rather I just throw her ball!)

I'd happily meet you and let our ladies socialize if you wish as I'm based on the Northside as well - I drive so I'd be happy to meet somewhere near you since that would be easier.
    Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Starbucks is a great place :D....jking

Malahide Castle is awesome, we go most days and the dog people are real freindly, give us a shout if ya wanna meet up , our boxer is great with other dogs.

Don't knock Starbucks, we go to the 1 in Malahide 2/3 times a week after a walk, sit outside wit Brodi, ask them for a baby cino, which is free, and just hit milk, get a larger plastic cup and top up wit the free cold milk on counter and put it in Brodi's bowl, she loves Starbucks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP I have a dog who's afraid of the car too. I got him a thundershirt and it helped a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lilhedda

Hi, I live in Beaumont and my partner and I have recently adopted a female pointer about 18 months old. She is really missing her doggy friends from Dogs Trust and im desperate for her to make some new friends to play with as she loves other dogs and was used to playing with 4 lurchers. I dont drive so im at my wits end and would be happy to walk to Griffith Park with her to meet as she needs huge amounts of exercise. There is also a park at the end of my road near the swords road fly over with off lead time until 11am. I'd love to hear from you and maybe we could form a social group with other intersted dog owners in area?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

lilhedda wrote: »
    Hi, I live in Beaumont and my partner and I have recently adopted a female pointer about 18 months old. She is really missing her doggy friends from Dogs Trust and im desperate for her to make some new friends to play with as she loves other dogs and was used to playing with 4 lurchers. I dont drive so im at my wits end and would be happy to walk to Griffith Park with her to meet as she needs huge amounts of exercise. There is also a park at the end of my road near the swords road fly over with off lead time until 11am. I'd love to hear from you and maybe we could form a social group with other intersted dog owners in area?

The park at the Swords flyover is Ellenfield park, and that's our local where we bring our guy and gal :) If it helps you (not me really as I work weekdays) but I know of a good few regulars who will be in the park around 9:30/10am on weekdays and they have the friendliest dogs! They are all lovely owners and really nice to chat to, you'll spot them in the middle of one of the fields with a group of dogs and more than likely the dogs will all run over to greet you!

If you're around weekends send me a PM and I'll be glad to head over with my 2 crazies, tho weekends is off limits to let ours off-lead as there is always football matches on and mine don't seem to understand that they cant join in! :D Would be good to meet tho, they could have a sniff anyway, as I've noticed many owners of smaller breeds are terrified of my 2 coz they're big-ish (Lab and Lurcher), so don't be offended if your Pointer gets the same treatment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Would love to organize a social group to meet up! Ellenfield park is minutes away from me also living in Beaumont!

I'd be up for weekends, also wold be happy to meet in the evenings for a stroll if that suits anyone!

I would perfer to keep her on lead for various reasons, not only that she was only adopted a couple of months ago so I would not trust her recall!

Thats brilliant I don't let Millie off lead in that park as her recall is flakey and we only have her a week, she understands but has no attention span. I want to try and get her trained to go for walks with other dogs although I think it will be a challenge :) she does need doggy company and is really friendly with other dogs still only a pup really. I'm about sat after 2pm any time or at about 9 in the morning if either of those times would suit?

Drop me a pm and we can sort something out if it suits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

lilhedda wrote: »

This!!
    Hi : I have a mad energetic but nice ( big) dog!! I often go Malahide castle (100 acres of fun!) or Portmarnock beach for a big long walk. This weekend is bad for me, but if you & your springer want to walk nxt weekend Earlyish pm me the night before and we could try it!
    St Annes is great BUT they are really strict on the dogs on lead policy and have a fog warden going around in a van Ftee 11am who impounds dogs ; they also catch straying dogs and fine he owners so be careful there: its also a great park wih cafe so I'd recommen it too before 11 thou!!!
    !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

theres a nice fenced off area in Marlay park where people bring their dogs for having a bit of fun. its lovely to go up and watch.

Advertisement