Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

County Jerseys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I disagree. O'Neills were throwing a few fussy designs about a bit before the 2003 season when Azzurri and Gaelic Gear entered the market.

Innovation is important though. And we're going back a while there. There jersey patterns are just much nicer as well as the jerseys being better made. Waterford jerseys are the perfect example of how much of a disaster Azzurri are. The jerseys from 2003-2007 were more old fashioned than those worn 10 years previously. Then they finally get a few decent ones (the last two years were nice jerseys) and then they take away the collar this year and put in some ridiculous designs. Goalies jersey is lovely, but the outfield stuff just doesn't look right, especially that they've topped it off with white shorts!

Donegal's colours make it hard to have a really nice jersey, but I bet O'Neills would manage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

Thought the Mayo jersey looked class today

Innovation is important though. And we're going back a while there. There jersey patterns are just much nicer as well as the jerseys being better made. Waterford jerseys are the perfect example of how much of a disaster Azzurri are. The jerseys from 2003-2007 were more old fashioned than those worn 10 years previously. Then they finally get a few decent ones (the last two years were nice jerseys) and then they take away the collar this year and put in some ridiculous designs. Goalies jersey is lovely, but the outfield stuff just doesn't look right, especially that they've topped it off with white shorts!

Donegal's colours make it hard to have a really nice jersey, but I bet O'Neills would manage.

I do agree that Azzurri should make more simplistic designs but i hate the way o'neills have plastered crests and county names 'as gaeilge' all over their jersies the last few years as if we needed to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

TomKat wrote: »

Not sure at all about it.

Was hoping we would get a retro looking one and not sure what to make of the red hoop being lelf out.

Was hoping we would get a retro looking one and not sure what to make of the red hoop being lelf out.

This is coming from a Tribesman so I'd strongly recommend a thank.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

TomKat wrote: »

It certainly did. It is a really rich shade of green and the white in it compliments it very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

All people ever seem to want in jersey designs is 'retro'. You'd swear they would rather that they had stopped designing new jersies in 1995 and just used those until the end of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It certainly did. It is a really rich shade of green and the white in it compliments it very well.

Have to say I liked the new Mayo jersey. I'll be getting myself one of those when they become available.

All people ever seem to want in jersey designs is 'retro'. You'd swear they would rather that they had stopped designing new jersies in 1995 and just used those until the end of time.

USA Style!

Maybe not retro but perhaps a little less complicated. have to say Mayo jersey not bad if a little untraditional

• Advertisement

Gaa_ wrote: »
    The new limited ed green gaa jerseys are class

counties should definately keep them as an option in case of a colour clash or at least goalkeepers should

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

The red hoop must always be on a Mayo Jersey. Its wrong not to have it. At worst have the red hoop like a sash, diagonally. Why would they want to look like other counties with green tops?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Gaa_ wrote: »
    The new limited ed green gaa jerseys are class
    Can you still get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

Donal Og with a new Keeper jersey for Cork.

Havent seen it on sale yet

Cork jerseys seem to be on sale in a lot of shops at the moment @ €25 makes me think we will have a new jersey before the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Can see that St Marys jersey being popular with students! Its a nice top even without the novelty sponsor, would make a nice dublin jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but I just noticed on the O'Neills website that they are selling the new Kilkenny goalkeeper jersey. I think it's the nicest KK jersey ever. I'm not a big fan of the KK outfield jerseys (the red Avonmore logo just doesn't match with the black and amber stripes), so I often get any training or goalkeeper jerseys. I'm definitely going to get this.

killkenny-white-black-jersey-1.jpg

New Wexford shirt seen minor action vs Offaly (hurling) and Carlow (Football)

wex-v-offly-12.jpg.

^^^^^^
    That Wexford jersey looks a lot nicer than some from the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

2vjagdj.jpg

Photo of our hurlers with our new away jersey.

I love it - this will be top of my priority purchases!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Lads im ordering the jersey online here to get the player fit.
    I have the standard size one and medium is a bit big.
    Should i go for a small player fit or stick to the medium player fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

I would go large player fit.

Any standard O'Neill's jerseys I buy are small and they fit spot on but all the player fit jerseys I buy are large. Medium player fit may be too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Lads im ordering the jersey online here to get the player fit.
    I have the standard size one and medium is a bit big.
    Should i go for a small player fit or stick to the medium player fit?

For reference, minor inter county teams wear medium, adults would be large or XL. If normal medium is too big go for medium player fit

Thanks lads.
    Spoke with O'Neills and they recommended medium player fit.......
    I had the previous jersey in large, I was bigger then, then I bought the current one in medium and it was still way too baggy.

Very little difference between standard large and medium jerseys when you compare them side by side.

I went for the medium player fit.........
    Its non returnable. I figure, I couldnt be large, I'm only 5'6ish and under 11 stone. Will probably regret it.....!!!!!

Thanks for the help. Sweet fa info online.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cbirt531

im liking the donegal jersey

I've only noticed this now but O'Neills are doing a range of green county jerseys.
    "O'Neills Go Green for St Patricks Day! Celebrate St Patricks Day with our Limited Edition GREEN County jerseys"

They are mank imo! Why would you want your county jersey in green if it's not your county's colours! :confused:

Tipp's jersey just looks like the Kerry jersey

St-paddys-day-tip-jersey-1_1.jpg

Here's the KK jersey

St-Paddys-day-killkenny-jersey-1_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I've only noticed this now but O'Neills are doing a range of green county jerseys.
    "O'Neills Go Green for St Patricks Day! Celebrate St Patricks Day with our Limited Edition GREEN County jerseys"

They are mank imo! Why would you want your county jersey in green if it's not your county's colours! :confused:

Here's the KK jersey

They kept that promotion going for the euros. I seen a lot green county jerseys out at their last week. Mind you they are just capitalizing on a gimick...but some of the jerseys are nice, it wouldnt bother me personally as i tend to buy the waterford training tops that are usually not white so im usually wearing a dif colour, but thats me and im odd lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

They kept that promotion going for the euros. I seen a lot green county jerseys out at their last week. Mind you they are just capitalizing on a gimick...but some of the jerseys are nice, it wouldnt bother me personally as i tend to buy the waterford training tops that are usually not white so im usually wearing a dif colour, but thats me and im odd lol.

That KK jersey isn't bad at all in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Like the Kildare one.

Al4OJWACAAAuUDt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Azzurri made a red training top for the waterford team 2 years ago. It was lovely, could never get my hands on it. It never went on sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Just having a look at O'Neills there lads. The shorts. Would size 36 be large or extra large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

closeline wrote: »
    Just having a look at O'Neills there lads. The shorts. Would size 36 be large or extra large

32 medium
    34 large
    36 x-large

That's my best guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Just got told 36 large, 38 x-large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Yeah,
    34 - Medium
    36 - Large
    38 - X-Large

I was worried there, because I wear 36's (Im a 34 really, but I don't wear the bicycle shorts so, it gets a bit chilly in the 34's sometimes) :P I was thinking feck! Extra Large, i need to do a bit more training :P

New Kilkenny jersey worn today:

00060fad-642.jpg

I preferred the old sleeves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Have to feel sorry for whoever gets the task of designing the Kilkenny jerseys
    when they need a new one, almost nothing to work with.

Hull City have a similar strip and tried something new for their 09-10 jersey: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Hull_City/images/hull_city_2009-2010.gif

I can't see a similar move going down well in Kilkenny though, changes to GAA jersies are often fiercely resisted. Seems they havent even changed the order of the stripes, which might shake things up even a tiny bit.

Almost no difference between any of them:
    http://www.prideinthejersey.com/kilkenny.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Feel sorry for the folk in KK who have to buy them everytime a new one comes out. They should wear their "away" one more often in matches.

Connorzee wrote: »
    Feel sorry for the folk in KK who have to buy them everytime a new one comes out. They should wear their "away" one more often in matches.

Dont think we have one, the white jersey is usually branded as a GK away jersey (not that it gets worn in that capacity either)

Think they need to try vary the width of the stripes or something. AC Milan had thin stripes last yr and it looked class

Hull City have a similar strip and tried something new for their 09-10 jersey: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Hull_City/images/hull_city_2009-2010.gif

I can't see a similar move going down well in Kilkenny though, changes to GAA jersies are often fiercely resisted. Seems they havent even changed the order of the stripes, which might shake things up even a tiny bit.

If we're robbing designs from hull then i'd rather this one:

http://www.football-shirts.co.uk/fans/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hullcitytigerprint.jpg

Blackjack wrote: »
    That KK jersey isn't bad at all in fairness.

It's rotten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I take a small in most jerseys and t-shirts, would a Small Player Fit be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Maybe somebody asked this already, but should you get a size up if choosing the 'Player Fit' option? For instance, if I usually take a medium, I should choose a large.

if kilkenny were to adapt a design similar to the one from the Eddie Keher era like below for example or have wider stripes perhaps even jagged stripes. There is things you could do but the designers seem to have no imagination or perhaps a limited template list to pick from

210307.jpg

I agree with Ceegee and TippGunner about changing the width of the stripes.
    The KK jersey will always more than likely be striped, but I see no reason with modifying the width/number of stripes.
    As Ceegee mentioned, AC Milan always have black and red striped jerseys, but they have managed to create some really nice jerseys by changing the width of the stripes so that there are as little as 5 or up to around 16 stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Agree with the above poster, could go barca:

Barcelona-blank-jerseys-2012-Spain-home-men-s-soccer-kits-customized-soccer-jerseys-print-any-name.jpg

To follow on from what we have been discussing about the KK jersey, here are 2 designs with the KK crest and sponsor on them. The first one is similar to tipp Gunner's. It has more stripes than the current KK jersey. The second design only has a few stripes on the front and none the back. They are not necessarily nicer than the current design, I just think that there should be some design variation every now and again!

kk1m.jpg

kk2c.jpg

And another one for the craic.

kk3sf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

Where are O'Neill's going by changing the Kilkenny jersey yet again, and particuraly in a time of recession when most people cannot afford to be forking out €60.00 a pop everytime a new one is unvailed every two years, as it now seems!? The previous jersey was only worn for two All-Ireland Championships. All county jersies should not be changed for a minimum of 4 years/championships!

The only difference in this new Kilkenny jersey and the last jersey, is that the stripes have been slanted from the front towards the back of the sleeves. It looks wowful! The previous two jersies were much nicer with the stripes down the sides of the sleeves. O'Neill's are not very original in their designs when it comes to the Kilkenny County jersey.

They had to reintroduce the embroidered county crest to the shirts because people were complaining that there were been ripped off with poor quality screen-line printed shirts. The jersies only cost between €2.00-€5.00 to make each and are then sold for €60.00-€65.00 in the sports shops. What a rip-off! The jersies only retail for £40.00/€49.00 up North. So, why do we have to constantly pay more down here for the same county jersies?

Another thing is, O'Neill's need to stop messing around with the original county colours & design on jersies. Who gave them the right to leave of the band off the new Mayo jersey? And in recent years the bands have been removed from the back of both the Tipperary, Clare & Kerry jersies! O'Neill's even wanted to get rid of the traditional Black & Amber stripes on the Kilkenny jersey there about 7 years ago and their excuse was that it was costing them more to produce the stripes on the jersies.

O'Neills need to get their act together, fast!

New Wexford shirt seen minor action vs Offaly (hurling) and Carlow (Football)

wex-v-offly-12.jpg.

The yellow should be on the lower half of the jersey! That is why Wexford are known as the Yellow-Bellies! The previous design was correct. Not a bad jersey otherwise.

Here's the KK jersey

Tipperary originally wore white jersies with a green band. That green Kilkenny one is not bad. There are two pink versions too for the girls. Ha..ha!

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I take a small in most jerseys and t-shirts, would a Small Player Fit be ok?

Hi,

I got my jersey in the post today.
    A medium was a wee bit big on me so I went for the medium player fit.
    Its perfect now. Not skin tight. Just fitted.

I would say if you have room in the standard small, then small player fit will be grand, but the player fit is a few inches tigher around the chest and arms, so if the standard small is tight as is, I'd go up a size.

• Advertisement
Advertisement