Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surprised to see a busy service station in cork closed down>

Options
  • 18-11-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I very rarely go to cork, but a service station I always thought was quite busy is now closed down!
    texaco firgrove service station on the busy bishopstown/curaheen road?
    im just wondering what are the reasons for this? lack of business or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

david.... wrote: »
    I very rarely go to cork, but a service station I always thought was quite busy is now closed down!
    texaco fergrove service station on the busy bishopstown/curaheen road?
    im just wondering what are the reasons for this? lack of business or what?

Thats closed a while actually. I dont know why either because it was a busy spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭david....

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Thats closed a while actually. I dont know why either because it was a busy spot.

true whenever I passed it! it was quite busy well lets just say it wasn't always deserted. there doesn't seams to be any efforts to lease it out again either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

How long is it closed? Perhaps they're going to refurbish it like the Maxol on Glasheen Road?

I used to work there 10 years ago, Friday and Sunday evening 3 to 11 shift. You'd clock up about 3k Irish, a good bit of that wasn't petrol. Back then twas under the same umbrella as texaco glanmire and carrigaline. Twas a busy spot indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

rcdk1 wrote: »
    How long is it closed? Perhaps they're going to refurbish it like the Maxol on Glasheen Road?

It's been gone for ages, probably a year plus at this stage.

• Advertisement

Wow, is it gone that long?
    Surprising considering there are new petrol stations opening up around the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Yeah surprising really, it was usually pretty busy because their prices were a wee bit below the Maxol and Topaz(s) in Wilton/Bishopstown. The site's been closed since they closed down the station, no works going on or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'd say it's gone much longer than a year. It closed for an unknown reason and signs said something about it being temporary.

After a good while it became a car park for the bank. Then it was boarded up and machinery moved in. Some work seemed to be going on and then it just stopped and the machines lay idle.

It's totally abandoned for a year right enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Same with the one on the Douglas road always looked busy.

Then just shut down for over a year and reopened recently, same could happen here

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

With the one on the Douglas road, they closed that to build an apartment building but it didn't pass planning two or three times, so it was decided to renew it as a petrol station. The underground tanks had been taken up and everything at the time of Esso closing so they had to dig up again to put new ones down.

• Advertisement

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    they closed that to build an apartment building

Initially it closed to be revamped, but as you say there was a change of heart and a change back again.

The tanks would have to come out anyway. New rules give a specific life to them. The Maxol on Glasheen Road is a good example of the work involved and the typical type of time frame from a station being closed to being rebuilt from the tanks up.

Was that not the same story with the Esso on Lancaster Quay (Western Road)? Closed down to build apartments that never materialised?

Was that not the same story with the Esso on Lancaster Quay (Western Road)? Closed down to build apartments that never materialised?

You are right, a quick look at Google and the old site is still vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

and wasn't it one of the most expensive sites sold by acre?
    they found contaminated soil which delayed the build and now it's just left derelict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I thought a lot of service stations had to close over new regulations to do with the fuel tanks. A lot of them closed to be upgraded and some never reopened or took a very long time to do so.

Ludo wrote: »
    I thought a lot of service stations

Yes, tanks leaked, you can't actually contain petrol ~ Esso had to close their storage depot on Centre Park Road for the same reason, and they were overground tanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

gbee wrote: »
    Yes, tanks leaked, you can't actually contain petrol ~ Esso had to close their storage depot on Centre Park Road for the same reason, and they were overground tanks.

You couldn't post a link about the new rules? Please.

54kroc wrote: »
    I've nothing to do with this industry so if you're asking because you have a serious concern, I'd contact either your Local Authority (who control planning and licencing) or the HSA.

The HSA have info here: http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Your_Industry/Petrol_Stations/

According to that, there are two main pieces legislation covering petrol stations

1) Dangerous Substances Act, 1972 and its Amendments
    2) Dangerous Substances (Retail and Private Petroleum Stores) Regulations, 1979 and its Amendments

The last amendment to the Regulations is from 2010 and comes into effect 1st Jan 2011 but to be honest it doesn't seem to say much.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

It's strange. The place had only been totally revamped about 3 months prior. Brand spanking new deli in there and everything. A girl in college with me used to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

54kroc wrote: »

No more info here either. It was just something I heard from a few different people a while back. Motor forum might have more info...or i may be completely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

deRanged wrote: »
    and wasn't it one of the most expensive sites sold by acre?
    they found contaminated soil which delayed the build and now it's just left derelict.

Looks like it's returning to nature last time I walked past so maybe the plants will clean it up in time. Not that different to the vacant plot where the old Western Star used to be on Western Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Quite a few busy petrol stations in Cork have closed in recent years. I drove from centre of town to Turner's Cross recently - had to do a long-winded route via Wilton. Couldn't find a service station til Pouladuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Think it's closed because of the parent company went bust in a property deal.
    As far as I know the station was making money but it's parent company is in trouble.
    The old Muskerey station next to The Lee Hotel(formerly Jury's) is closed because it was due to be developed. Still idol 5 years on, one acre was supposed to have gone for 8 million. You would have to sell alot of petrol to make 8 mil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Dob74 wrote: »
    Think it's closed because of the parent company went bust in a property deal.
    As far as I know the station was making money but it's parent company is in trouble.
    The old Muskerey station next to The Lee Hotel(formerly Jury's) is closed because it was due to be developed. Still idol 5 years on, one acre was supposed to have gone for 8 million. You would have to sell alot of petrol to make 8 mil

That story sounds fairly believeable allrite. I know plenty of people this has happened to. You would imagine that the bank would let that side of the business trade away..

Advertisement