Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Supplement

Options
  • 18-11-2011 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I am currently unemployed and am receiving Back To Work Enterprise Allowance, as i am planning to start my own business.

I recently had to move out of my apartment because of flooding damage from the rain we had two weeks ago (the landlord decided that he can't afford to repair the roof for the time being) and am now staying with a friend.

I have been given a letter from the local council to confirm that I have a housing need, but I have some questions about rent supplement.

(1) How long does it take to process rent supplement (I live in South Dublin)? The CWO has indicated that he should be able to assist with the payment of a deposit for my new place, but I don't know if a Landlord is going to be willing to hold any such apartment until my rent supplement/ deposit comes through.

As it is I would be able to afford to pay him about half my social welfare claim, but I am not sure that would be acceptable to Landlords...

(2) Who receives the rent supplement - the tenant or the landlord?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It may not be as cut and dry as it seems.

I was on BTWEA and rent supplement was refused. At the time I was working no more than 15 hours a week but was told that potentially BTWEA is seen as full-time employment. I eventually had to close the business and claim another payment in order to get rent supplement on appeal, as the BTWEA and my emploment did not cover the rent alone - nevermind living expenses.

My application was through the central unit so if yours is just done through CWO you may be luckier than I was. Through the central unit application took 12 weeks to process but that was last year so hopefully things are quicker now.

Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

1. Mine took about 1.5 weeks last year (central Dublin)
    2. You can decide - either direct to you or by bank transfer to landlord.
    Some CWO's may nudge you in the direction of bank transfer to landlord which is what I did as it makes ense and cuts out any bull****.
    It would maybe be the best way of reassuring landlord that they will get that supplement direct?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Rent supplement is paid in the vast majority of cases to the tenant.

You will get your rent supplement backdated (if it is granted). Many areas within South Dublin are now being dealt with by the new centralised rent supplement unit, and if that's the case you could be waiting for up to two months to have a straight forward case processed.

If however your application is still being dealt with by your CWO (now renamed Department of Social Protection representative), then it will be much quicker, and can be processed within a week if you have all paperwork in place.

Payment of deposits are discretionary and I wouldn't bank on getting this, even if you've been told by a CWO that you'll get it, although if its an exceptional case like flood damage you've probably a better chance than most.

Advertisement