Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling repair

Options
  • 18-11-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

When I was painting my ceiling today some of the plaster came away - the area looked like there had been a leak before (previous owners maybe). There is a stain around the hole and seems like the plaster would keep falling down if I touch it. Would I need to repair the whole ceiling 10ft x 8ft or can a small area be repaired? What would it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

You need only repair the damaged section.

You need to chip away all the old skim that's not bonded to the plasterslab - use a flat knife or a narrow paint scraper....

Then cut away any of the slab that is damaged (screws may be pulled through due to a wet slab for example) - cut it back to halfway on the previous joist and keep the section you remove square or rectangular.
    Replace any damaged insulation.
    Replace with a new slab, - most likely 12.5mm, but check this before purchasing, as I have seen 9.5mm used on ceilings
    Skim.....

Very straightforward for any plasterer. - Hard to say what it would cost, without knowing the total damage, but you definitely shouldn't have to shell out a huge amount at all....

Bag of skim = €9 approx (should be plenty)
    1 slab = €7 approx (2.4m x 1.2m - again, hard to see needing more than 1)
    Labour = anyone's guess, but it's a 1 man job, and shouldnt take much longer than a few hours......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If its a small area, You could do as described above but use filler instead of getting it skimmed. This would be 100% diy then as you would be simply sanding the filler smooth once it dried.

Even if getting it skimmed, skim is not fine enough to blend with the existing ceiling finish where new meets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

mickdw wrote: »
    If its a small area, You could do as described above but use filler instead of getting it skimmed. This would be 100% diy then as you would be simply sanding the filler smooth once it dried.

Even if getting it skimmed, skim is not fine enough to blend with the existing ceiling finish where new meets old.

Yep. Filler is ideal for a small area.

But any plasterer worth his salt should be able to blend a patch in to a ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mariposa23

Thanks for advice!

Advertisement