Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evolution And All That Jazz

• 18-11-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

So we derived from monkeys or apes or whatever, right?

We just dragged ourselves outta the water one day and evolved in to what we are today over millenia? We developed all sorts of technology beginning in the stone age and have gone onwards and upwards ever since.

What about the other creatures we share this world with? Ok, giraffes developed longer necks to eat from trees and crocs developed thick skins, etc.

Have any other animals on the planet done something similar that we're not aware of or are humans unique in their speed of evolution on this planet? Or are we merely an experiment and mice truly rule this world?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Not sure our evolution was any faster than other creatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

MCMLXXV wrote: »

What about the other creatures we share this world with?

They're the idiots who vote for FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

No. With this sentence you have shown a complete lack of knowledge or understanding about the theory of evolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Terry wrote: »
    They're the idiots who vote for FF.
    Stop, you're making creatures look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

The faster a species reaches sexual maturity and the more populous and varied the population, the faster it evolves. Intelligence and agility are just skills honed by primates to aid in survival.

Or at least that's what I think "squeak squeak" means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'm going to learn to play the sax and call my first album Evolution And All That Jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Sir Frederick Hoyle (the British astronomer who coined the term “Big Bang” .
    The likelihood of the formation of life from inanimate matter is one to a number with 40,000 naughts after it... It is big enough to bury Darwin and the whole theory of evolution. There was no primeval soup, neither on this planet nor any other, and if the beginnings of life were not random, they must therefore have been the product of purposeful intelligence.(1981)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

I believe women have evolved too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The faster a species reaches sexual maturity and the more populous and varied the population, the faster it evolves. Intelligence and agility are just skills honed by primates to aid in survival.

Or at least that's what I think "squeak squeak" means.

So rabbits really rule the world! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Daithi 1 wrote: »

The likelihood of the formation of life from inanimate matter is one to a number with 40,000 naughts after it... It is big enough to bury Darwin and the whole theory of evolution. There was no primeval soup, neither on this planet nor any other, and if the beginnings of life were not random, they must therefore have been the product of purposeful intelligence.(1981)

Sounds like intelligent design tbh. Just because something is really really rediculously unlikely doesn't mean it can't happen.

• Advertisement

smk89 wrote: »
    Sounds like intelligent design tbh. Just because something is really really rediculously unlikely doesn't mean it can't happen.

yeah but for countless species ? 40,000 X countless :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

So rabbits really rule the world! :D
    I for one welcome our tasty, tasty overlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

earpiece wrote: »
    I believe women have evolved too.

Thats where your wrong.....

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

No - we share a common ancestor.
    evolved in to what we are today over millenia?

No, over millions of years.

Come back when you grasp even the basic concept of evolution. You're below primary school level at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Sir Frederick Hoyle, noted non-biologist and non-statistician, making a bad statistical argument about a field which wasn't his specialty; an argument so bad it has its own Wikipedia page, under Hoyle's fallacy. There are complex and involved explanations about how wrong he is, but let's take the simple approach: whatever the odds are on life evolving randomly, the odds against an omnipotent being existing and controlling the process are vastly larger.

What would an astronomer know of biology? even less so of abiogenisis I'd venture.

*desertcircus beat me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Just because we have gained consciousness and superior intelligence does not mean we are "more evolved". That's not how evolution works.

Lemmewinks wrote: »
    No, over millions of years.

Come back when you grasp even the basic concept of evolution. You're below primary school level at the moment.

Millenia = plural of millenium.

Did I put a limit on the number of millenia?

Come back when you grasp even the basic concept of mathematics. You're below primary school level at the moment. ;)

RichieC wrote: »
    What would an astronomer know of biology? even less so of abiogenisis I'd venture.

*desertcircus beat me to it.

It's just an interesting personal observation folks, no disrespect intended :pac:

no need to get ur poxy nickurs in a twist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Adam and Eve enter the equation for allot of people, we should not ignore their beliefs

I know the Christianity Forum is that way

Standman wrote: »
    Just because we have gained consciousness and superior intelligence does not mean we are "more evolved". That's not how evolution works.

Even at that, who is to truly say we are more intelligent than any other animal? We have physical things we can see, methods of communication we can understand but who's to say that other creatures on this planet haven't developed better technology than humans when we can't even understand their languages let alone their development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

sgb wrote: »
    Adam and Eve enter the equation for a lot of people, we should not ignore their beliefs

Yes we should.

Millenia = plural of millenium.

Did I put a limit on the number of millenia?

Come back when you grasp even the basic concept of mathematics. You're below primary school level at the moment. ;)

Yeah, you implied a limit by it's very definition. e.g. If you meant millions you would say millions. If you meant less than 100 you would say dozens, etc. If you meant thousands, you would say millennia (you spelled it wrong, BTW).

And considering you said "we evolved from apes", it's safe to assume your grasp of how long it took was also likely to be way off.

Oh, and you also avoided my main point which was about your sh*t grasp of evolution. Other than that, awesome reply.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Yes we should.

How do you get away with that name ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

sgb wrote: »
    Adam and Eve enter the equation for allot of people, we should not ignore their beliefs

I know the Christianity Forum is that way

Hope you're not ignoring adherents to The Church of the FSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

So you're taking his word as proof of a superior being etc.? He coined the term ''big bang'' as a mockery and stated stellar nucleosynthesis as proof as to why the big bang wasn't possible - Big bang nucleosynthesis doesn't explain the formation of elements heavier than lithium (I think). I'm sure he'd be dismayed if he knew how the stellar nucleosynthesis he backed just serves to help our understanding of the big bang.

Even at that, who is to truly say we are more intelligent than any other animal? We have physical things we can see, methods of communication we can understand but who's to say that other creatures on this planet haven't developed better technology than humans when we can't even understand their languages let alone their development.

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

troll is a bit harsh.

• Advertisement

So you're taking his word as proof of a superior being etc.? He coined the term ''big bang'' as a mockery and stated stellar nucleosynthesis as proof as to why the big bang wasn't possible - Big bang nucleosynthesis doesn't explain the formation of elements heavier than lithium (I think). I'm sure he'd be dismayed if he knew how the stellar nucleosynthesis he backed just serves to help our understanding of the big bang.

Basically, he was a dìck.

Um.. not taking it as proof. Relax. just throwing it out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

We just dragged ourselves outta the water one day and evolved in to what we are today over millenia? We developed all sorts of technology beginning in the stone age and have gone onwards and upwards ever since.

What about the other creatures we share this world with? Ok, giraffes developed longer necks to eat from trees and crocs developed thick skins, etc.

Have any other animals on the planet done something similar that we're not aware of or are humans unique in their speed of evolution on this planet? Or are we merely an experiment and mice truly rule this world?
    Basically, every single living thing on this planet is your cousin.

Ain't it cool? :cool:

Basically, every single living thing on this planet is your cousin.

Ain't it cool? :cool:

Even my missus ?

Yeah, you implied a limit by it's very definition. e.g. If you meant millions you would say millions. If you meant less than 100 you would say dozens, etc. If you meant thousands, you would say millennia (you spelled it wrong, BTW).

And considering you said "we evolved from apes", it's safe to assume your grasp of how long it took was also likely to be way off.

Oh, and you also avoided my main point which was about your sh*t grasp of evolution. Other than that, awesome reply.

Maybe I've got a different definition of plural than you!

Hardly! How do you really know that any other species we share this planet with are not more intelligent than humans and have evolved better or more quickly than us? Because they haven't built skyscrapers, computers and rocket ships? Maybe, just maybe, they evolve in different ways and develop things we wouldn't even recognise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Possibly true. I mean the Dolphins beat the Redskins last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

God created the world. So it was gods plan to set up a process called evolution. And here we are..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Wertz wrote: »
    Ants.

Damn communists being all successful at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

KeithAFC wrote: »
    God created the world. So it was gods plan to set up a process called evolution. And here we are..

...but man created God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

KeithAFC wrote: »

Why would he choose such an inefficient method to get to the point where humans arose?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    ...but man created God.

Let keith have his little opinion, even though I'm of the opinion that he's here to troll only, that opinion is pretty harmless. it allows children to grow up learning biology correctly.

• Advertisement

I exist.
    I have no idea why I exist, but I exist.

I do not believe that I was created by some supreme being.
    I know for a fact that my parents has sex, and that I am the product of them having sex.

There is absolutely no proof that a miracle created me, but there is scientific proof that I was created through a biological process.

Speaking of scientific proof, it supercedes all mythological beliefs of Gods and stuff.

When God appears to me and hundreds of others at the same time, I'll consider his existence. Until then I'm putting my faith in proven scientific facts.

"I think, therefore I am." That's just crap.
    Popeye nailed it. I am what I am.

I highly recomend this series of videos on Youtube:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Terry wrote: »
    I know for a fact that my parents has sex

Pics or GTFO.

Pics or GTFO.
    Cameras were not invented back then.
    All I have are some paintings by DaVinci, but they're gonna cost you a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

amacachi wrote: »
    Why would he choose such an inefficient method to get to the point where humans arose?
    Don't know. He works in mysterious ways I suppose. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Evolution is not inherently an "upward" movement so it's misleading to talk about it in that way.

I'd imagine it'd be hard for any animal to evolve to sentience with us dominating the planet.

Finally, it's the 21st century: don't we have better things to be discussing?

We evolved from simpler lifeforms. It's pretty obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hold on a second...

So some people think that evolution is less believable than the sudden existence of a single all knowingly all powerful being?

Right.....

http://tiny.cc/rdw5o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Look at all the variations of domestic dog around today.

They're all as a result of humans selectively breeding wolves with different characteristics over mere thousands of years. A Chihuaha is a distant relative of a Great Dane.

Is it really so hard to believe that other species on the planet could have evolved from a common ancestor, much further back, over millions of years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'm going to learn to play the sax and call my first album Evolution And All That Jazz.

And I shall buy that album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Damn communists being all successful at it.

As much as I like ants, they are fascist monarchists, not communists.

• Advertisement
Advertisement