Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post "Sorry we missed you note"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Gotta love the "you surf, we deliver" logo's on their vans.
    Should be changed to "you surf, you collect"....................

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

From their FAQ :pac:
    Why did the postperson not knock on the door?

The driver should always knock, is it possible you didn’t hear him? In fact it is easier for our drivers to deliver an item rather than bring it back to the depot.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/GeneralTemplates/FAQ.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={6947AB34-1C54-478A-912C-90392E98C21F}&NRORIGINALURL=%2fAnPost%2fFAQs%2fPostalFAQs.htm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#notknockDIB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

afatbollix wrote: »

Do your shaggin job!

All it would take for a rumour to go around an post that this guy lost his job and most of them will pull up there socks!
    Has any an post employee ever been sacked for this type of laziness? It must also be remembered that the management know ordinary postmen and women are in a lot of cases unable to deliver all their post so this type of activity may not be a priority for them, it keeps the postmen happy.

They all know full well that nobody would ever be sacked over this so it would not even be a rumour unfortunately.

Why did the postperson not knock on the door?

The driver should always knock, is it possible you didn’t hear him? In fact it is easier for our drivers to deliver an item rather than bring it back to the depot.
    Only if they have brought the parcel with them to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

I Throw my postie an aul niffty(€50) in the Christmas card every year , never had a problem missing parcels !

He will even leave them with the neighbor for me .

Howya Pat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭finfinfin

is far easier for a driver to deliver the parcel than to bring it back to the depot.going back to the depot is a pain in the hole.this postie was just a clown,very rare that crap happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

finfinfin wrote: »
    is far easier for a driver to deliver the parcel than to bring it back to the depot.going back to the depot is a pain in the hole.this postie was just a clown,very rare that crap happens.
    Far easier again if he doesn't even bring it with him. It's not that rare in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭finfinfin

it is very rare.there's nothing left in mail depots.nothing at all.that postie needs a kick up the hole.its probably in his van and he just didn't bother bringing it to the door.why didn't he park outside the house he was delivering to either?very weird.he gives good posties a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Lemmewinks wrote: »
    ... except you didn't - I was in, and I was upstairs working and saw you on my CCTV.

They posted a "Sorry we missed you" note - apparently I wasn't in when they tried to deliver my parcel and now I've to go to the depot on Monday.

Depot only around the corner so not pissed or anything, but seriously - why bother calling around to drop off the note? Just drop off the parcel instead! :confused:

Was the date for collection on the same day or next working day? I had 1 left on the house for collection on the same day so must be that he didn't have the package with him, went to collect it about 1 hour after left and was in depot.

Nice security system there, any info on it? love to get myself a kit like that so I don't need to open the door to sales people :) or any trouble at nite I can see who causes it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

To add my An Post delivery story.

Last week we got a note through the door - "sorry we missed you" etc.

Mrs Tabnabs with two young children in tow headed off to a distant depot. Arrived in to the front desk, "oh no, your parcels aren't here they're in your local depot". But the leaflet clearly said this particular depot with an address and map on it. "Ah yeah" he says "the driver probably ran out of that depots slips so just filled this one in..."

fcuking twats :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

finfinfin wrote: »
    it is very rare.there's nothing left in mail depots.nothing at all. ... .he gives good posties a bad name.

Rubbish, I've complained constantly to An Post about this. On one occasion I met the postman as he put the (pre-written slip) in the door.
    I went to the office to collect it, and despite the fact that I could see the package (it was quite distinctive, and I could make out my name), the guy on the desk said "That won't be here till tomorrow, it's out in the van". Even when I told him I'd run into the guy posting the slip, he still maintained it was out on the van. I went back the next day and collected the same package I'd been staring at the day before.

My parents' postman is excellent and goes out of his way to ensure delivery, but I've found the service in Dublin to be absolutely abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Rew wrote: »
    Parcels are delivered by separate crowd to the regular postie. A very unsurpised An Phost guy explained it to me when I asked him how to complain about this exact issue.
    My parcels get delivered by my regular post man and he goes out of his way to make sure I get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Postman where I used to live used to pull up with the form filled out, hop out with the car still running and the door still open, stick the thing in the letterbox and actually ring the doorbell and head off. You had about a 10 second chance to get to the door before he drove off.

Great video OP, you should email the link to a few newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

As a postman I can only speak for my own office when I say every postpersons bench is checked every morning to see nothing is left behind . If you happen to miss a letter the bosses will ring you to come back and collect it . There are checks in place to make sure the service is as efficient as possible , Without a doubt there should be more done .

As regards the missed delivery notices I had a customer complain I never rang her doorbell , I went back with the packet the next morning as she was just after having a baby . Accused me at the door of not ringing the bell previous day, I had rang 3 times and pounded the door , waited a good 5 mins at her door .

I had another customer accuse me of breaking her porch door despite the fact I didn't open her porch and left mail in a side slot of porch frame glass .
    The posties aren't 100% and sometimes they do take the easy option but christ the public are from innocent in what they tell ya .

Let her know she was completely wrong and either lying or she must have been out at that time the previous morning. Eventually she said she may have been across at the shop while I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

My parcels get delivered by my regular post man and he goes out of his way to make sure I get them.

Even big parcels? in my case regular postman delivers small parcels on his rounds if not home he txt me to let me know he has it and I can drop over to his house on way back from work, when on holidays he keeps them till we get back, but he does get a tip at Xmas, big parcels are deliver by a van Unrealistic do you live in Dublin or other part? Maybe around the country big parcels get deliver by regular postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'd love you to go to the meida with these. This has happened me on numerous occasions, no effort at all made to actually deliver the packages that have been paid to be delivered to my house. I mean surely this is not supplying the service they have been paid for, its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

What is wrong with people?

The postie just being a lazy ****
    Other people thinking this is funny

It is true. the Irish have lost their fight. If that was my house, I'd have made an unmerciful row over this disgraceful behaviour. When there's people crying out for jobs, this type of crap still goes on.
    Stand up for yourselves folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this should make the news. that postie is in alot of trouble. what is the point of that, makes no sense at all.

no doubt the union will protect him, he should be sacked, but virtually every public sector is unsackable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

nava wrote: »
    Even big parcels? in my case regular postman delivers small parcels on his rounds if not home he txt me to let me know he has it and I can drop over to his house on way back from work, when on holidays he keeps them till we get back, but he does get a tip at Xmas, big parcels are deliver by a van Unrealistic do you live in Dublin or other part? Maybe around the country big parcels get deliver by regular postman.
    In Galway city but a route served by a small van.

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

Rodin wrote: »
    What is wrong with people?

The postie just being a lazy ****
    Other people thinking this is funny

It is true. the Irish have lost their fight. If that was my house, I'd have made an unmerciful row over this disgraceful behaviour. When there's people crying out for jobs, this type of crap still goes on.
    Stand up for yourselves folks.

Here's the thing. I did send off a complaint - but I didn't give my address. I just sent the video and asked for an explanation.

I order lots of stuff from Amazon & eBay. I also work from home - my Revenue & Bank letters arrive here, clearly marked, as well as cheques from clients.
    I can't afford to p*ss off the postmen. If I made a huge deal of this, they tracked the guy down, and he got in trouble, or there was a huge fuss, etc; I'm sure I'd be "duly noted" pretty quick by all of his co-workers.
    I can't risk there suddenly being "issues" with my post, etc. My main/daily postman is sound - and I always get my deliveries - this has never happened to me before, so it's not an ongoing thing.
    I just can't risk making an enemy out of the local posties. It's a sad but hard fact.

It's like complaining in a restaurant - I can never go back there afterwards, because I'll be "that guy". Trust me - I complain all the time about shoddy service. I can never go back to my local pub again, and I refuse to use my local Dominoes and around 5 local restaurants... I'll also never use UPC, GLS or O2 again. And I never use hotels (or any companies) that send me spam & marketing e-mails after I stay there, despite requesting them not to.
    ^^ They all have competitors, so avoiding them still leaves me with lots of options. But my Postman, I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Here's the thing. I did send off a complaint - but I didn't give my address. I just sent the video and asked for an explanation.

I order lots of stuff from Amazon & eBay. I also work from home - my Revenue & Bank letters arrive here, clearly marked, as well as cheques from clients.
    I can't afford to p*ss off the postmen. If I made a huge deal of this, they tracked the guy down, and he got in trouble, or there was a huge fuss, etc; I'm sure I'd be "duly noted" pretty quick by all of his co-workers.
    I can't risk there suddenly being "issues" with my post, etc. My main/daily postman is sound - and I always get my deliveries - this has never happened to me before, so it's not an ongoing thing.
    I just can't risk making an enemy out of the local posties. It's a sad but hard fact.

It's like complaining in a restaurant - I can never go back there afterwards, because I'll be "that guy". Trust me - I complain all the time about shoddy service. I can never go back to my local pub again, and I refuse to use my local Dominoes and around 5 local restaurants... I'll also never use UPC, GLS or O2 again. And I never use hotels (or any companies) that send me spam & marketing e-mails after I stay there, despite requesting them not to.
    ^^ They all have competitors, so avoiding them still leaves me with lots of options. But my Postman, I need.

Did you get your explanation?

wrote:
    I sent the e-mail last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

Be sure and update us if and when you get a reply!

Hi all,

Had to delete the videos. Apparently they went viral, as I was contacted by Broadsheet.ie, thejournal.ie, and a couple of other people.

As per my post HERE, I need to remain anonymous to the Postmen & I'm not interested in pursuing this. I posted it more for a laugh, not an "exposé", even though I'm aware it's not really funny for people it happens to.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I totally agree with you, I think they will make things hard for you, but I know this happens very often and esp over Christmas. It will only be a matter of time before a private customer else has a video of the same situation.
    When I lived in town this happened alot but now my postie bends over backwards to get parcels to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

can you tell me what your video setup is, have had this happen to me on more than one occasion and would like to set up surveilance as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It was obvious that something like this was happening, I'm glad I saw the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Postvox

No way this should be happening, really sorry to all concerned, pass the details on to our(An Post) Customes Services Hotline at 1850 575859, in confidence if needs be. Customers are entitled to expect a full and proper service. Dockets should only be used when we attempt to make a delivery and cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Postvox Thanks for posting, but we cannot allow you to post as a representative of An Post, unless you go through the Verified Reps process here on Boards.

Please contact reps@boards.ie for further information.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hi all,

Had to delete the videos. Apparently they went viral, as I was contacted by Broadsheet.ie, thejournal.ie, and a couple of other people.

As per my post HERE, I need to remain anonymous to the Postmen & I'm not interested in pursuing this. I posted it more for a laugh, not an "exposé", even though I'm aware it's not really funny for people it happens to.

Thanks.

While I can understand your worry, in reality you would see the opposite effect. The only place your post could be realistically be filtered out would be your local depot and any complaint would be investigated thoroughly because of the obvious issue in your first post. You would become the least likely person for theft in your area.

This is something that has come up often on boards and is a clear issue with their service. The only thing I'm surprised about is that your appear to be the first person with undeniable evidence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement