Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post "Sorry we missed you note"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

As a former employee of An Post I can say that no one should ever be afraid of reporting an incident like this. The vast majority of postmen/women (99%) do their job as they should. Fellows like the postman in this video do a dis-service to their fellow workers. I would suggest that you report this matter without fear of any consequences.(as it should be) I would report it to the local delivery office as well as to the Customer Care section. This type of behaviour gives all postal workers a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Supraman wrote: »
    As a postman I can only speak for my own office when I say every postpersons bench is checked every morning to see nothing is left behind . If you happen to miss a letter the bosses will ring you to come back and collect it . There are checks in place to make sure the service is as efficient as possible , Without a doubt there should be more done .
    It is not unheard of for postmen to store mail in their own homes rather than deliver it and this could easily be done with parcels or packages which would slow down the postman.

Also recently I have noticed all metered post such as bills etc has been delayed by 6-12 days but this is probably an post managing deliveries and delaying the metered post when volumes of other post are high rather than individual post persons interfering with the post?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

In fact it is easier for our drivers to deliver an item rather than bring it back to the depot.
    Obviously that's bollocks. True if he delivers absolutly every package, but the postman knows the chances are out of say 30 packages even on a good day there's at least 5 that he won't be able to deliver. So he'll be going back to the depot one way or another. He just doesn't have to hang around 30 houses ringing bells and waiting for people to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

once had my local postman bend a letter that had "do not bend photos inside" to deliver the letter

when i challenged him on it, he said that he was always trying to help people out to get their post without having to go to the depot..."sure i even sign peoples registered letters so they dont have to come down to get them". Thankfully hes not my local postie anymore

OP- quite obvious the postie didnt have the parcel with him...lazy git

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

daheff wrote: »
    OP- quite obvious the postie didnt have the parcel with him...lazy git

I can understand some of this, a large load of parcels to be delivered the same day, I'd probably not mind a note saying the parcel was ready for collection ~ except the VAN arrived [ in this case] and not the 'foot' postie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

gbee wrote: »
    I can understand some of this, a large load of parcels to be delivered the same day, I'd probably not mind a note saying the parcel was ready for collection ~ except the VAN arrived [ in this case] and not the 'foot' postie

I wouldn't mind so much if it was a guy on a bike/on foot - it's not practical for him to carry a million parcels for the fun of it. However all my post comes by van, and in most places where there's a foot postman, parcels are done separately by van anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Most packages going to homes bought online/over the phone will have a contact phone number on the docket. Would it really be that hard for AnPost to text people to say 'We're on the way with your package, if you'll be at home today reply 'yes', or reply 'no' and we'll try again tomorrow'?

It would only have to be used for residential customers as businesses would be open regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I see it's up on broadsheet with a screengrab http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/11/19/the-an-post-scam/

Love the comments :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

It's on thejournal.ie now too.

http://www.thejournal.ie/an-post-apologises-for-delivery-gaffe-284780-Nov2011

The OP should put the videos back online. Name and shame the lazy git.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,934 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I don't agree.. while the "mob mentality" says name and shame, the OP's house is probably relatively easy to identify to the postman in question or other postman who may not take lightly to having their position ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭oconcuc

Owen wrote: »
    Search on boards, this regularly happens with An Post, I've had it happen several times.

Yep. I have been standing by my front door on two occassions, when without even a knock on the door, they drop one of those sorry we missed you slips in the letterbox.

I missed the first guy as I hadn't realised what came in the letterbox, but I caught the guy the second time. Lazy bastard denied having not knocked despite not having the package in hand.

Why would you do that? Surely you have to unload the f***king thing out of the van later on anyway.

Basq wrote: »
    I don't agree.. while the "mob mentality" says name and shame, the OP's house is probably relatively easy to identify to the postman in question or other postman who may not take lightly to having their position ridiculed.

Why is it 'mob mentality'? If the person in the video retaliated in an unsavoury fashion, more fool them, they are only embarrassing themselves. An apology or some form of disciplinary action at the very least is sufficient. It would be standard practice in any other workplace. Why is this any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

An informed source tells me that any postie doing this would be fired....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭leche solara

OP you said you sent a complaint to An Post - did you get a reply, did you wait a reasonable time for a reply before going to the jury of the internet? Because of the huge publicity and embarrassment this has generated, An Post will now view this as a far more serious matter than they would have if you had just sent the complaint through the proper channels (even if you had included the cctv footage), and this guy will more than likely lose his job (if they can identify him). You say you run your own business and I presume you would not like a disgruntled customer to go rushing to the internet "mob" before giving you the opportunity to reply. By all means go public if you feel you are being given the run around or being ignored, but the kangaroo court should be the last resort not the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,934 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Why is it 'mob mentality'? If the person in the video retaliated in an unsavoury fashion, more fool them, they are only embarrassing themselves. An apology or some form of disciplinary action at the very least is sufficient. It would be standard practice in any other workplace. Why is this any different?
    So then bring it to the attention of their employer.. not the World Wide Web.

While it gave me a giggle, it could cause more long term harm that good to the OP.

Maybe I'm being cynical.. but I'd be wary about what could happen future parcels / letters designated for the OP.

Basq wrote: »
    So then bring it to the attention of their employer.. not the World Wide Web.

While it gave me a giggle, it could cause more long term harm that good to the OP.

Maybe I'm being cynical.. but I'd be wary about what could happen future parcels / letters designated for the OP.

Understandable. But the OP shouldn't have to fear what happens to their mail. Though I guess it's a reflection of the world we live in today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

OP you said you sent a complaint to An Post - did you get a reply, did you wait a reasonable time for a reply before going to the jury of the internet? Because of the huge publicity and embarrassment this has generated, An Post will now view this as a far more serious matter than they would have if you had just sent the complaint through the proper channels (even if you had included the cctv footage), and this guy will more than likely lose his job (if they can identify him). You say you run your own business and I presume you would not like a disgruntled customer to go rushing to the internet "mob" before giving you the opportunity to reply. By all means go public if you feel you are being given the run around or being ignored, but the kangaroo court should be the last resort not the first.
    Under normal circumstances I would agree with you but this is different on a number of counts.
    1) This is not a private 'Mom & Pop' business so equating it with the OP's own business is a red herring. This is a massive state owned body in theory beholden to the tax payer but in reality laregly insulated from commercial realities.
    2) The behaviour shown in the video isn't a once off aberration but an incident of a type which has been widely reported by customers and widely denied by An Post in spite of these reports. This is a classic 'gotcha' moment and I'm glad the OP shared it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

oconcuc wrote: »
    Yep. I have been standing by my front door on two occassions, when without even a knock on the door, they drop one of those sorry we missed you slips in the letterbox.

I missed the first guy as I hadn't realised what came in the letterbox, but I caught the guy the second time. Lazy bastard denied having not knocked despite not having the package in hand.

Why would you do that? Surely you have to unload the f***king thing out of the van later on anyway.

I've had this a few times as well, though I've only caught the guy red-handed once. While I was upstairs shaving I heard something slip through the letterbox, and saw it was a 'Sorry you were out slip'. I live on a cul-de-sac and the postie has to cycle back past my house when he's finished on the road. I hailed him on his way back and showed him the slip. He handed me my parcel from his bag and went on his merry way.

God knows why he couldn't have just knocked on the door and given it to me. Would have saved him carrying it back to the depot on his bike (he didn't have a van, it was a small package in the normal post). I decided not to make an issue of it as, like other posters here, I don't want hassle with an Post. Anyway, our postie has changed fairly regularly and most of them are great. Reckon they've sussed that if they don't have letters and parcels to deliver they won't be in a job for too long. I guess you get the odd w*nker in every job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1121/breaking59.html

Good job mr anonymous video taker!
    I've been saying for years my postie does this - but I've obviously never got the proof as you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Tbf to the postie featured in this video he does not deserve punishment, IMO he is not a one-off. IMO this practice is endemic in An Post for a long long time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

SlimCi wrote: »
    An informed source tells me that any postie doing this would be fired....

'would' being the operative word, he would be fired if the public sector unions weren't all powerful and the bosses weren't spineless pen pushers afraid to take them on.

The unions' stock answer to this type of behaviour is that it can be fixed by extra training and the review of procedures, all good waffle designed to paper over the fact that people in the public sector can't be fired, no matter how lazy or incompetent they are.

I complained to An Post that virtually every letter that comes through my letter box shows signs that someone has tried to peel open the envelope, they just didn't want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

coylemj wrote: »
    'would' being the operative word, he would be fired if the public sector unions weren't all powerful and the bosses weren't spineless pen pushers afraid to take them on.

The unions' stock answer to this type of behaviour is that it can be fixed by extra training and the review of procedures, all good waffle designed to paper over the fact that people in the public sector can't be fired, no matter how lazy or incompetent they are.

I complained to An Post that virtually every letter that comes through my letter box shows signs that someone has tried to peel open the envelope, they just didn't want to know.

vast majority of mail is sorted by machine nowdays, for what u said to be happening it would mean most likley the post person is doing it, do you think its the case? ask you neighbours is their mail interfered with also.. or could it be that it just looks like its been tamperd with but hasnt been in reality?

tbh ive no idea why the postie didnt attempt to deliver the item as it takes 3 times as long to write the slips out.. yes im a postie,and that sort of stuff in the video ive never seen myself,it dosent make any sense to me.

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

Firstly, I'm anonymous - nobody who saw the video knows who I am or where I live. An Post also don't know where I live, because I refused to tell them when they asked. I told them I didn't want him getting in trouble, so I wouldn't give them my address.

Secondly; if there was a perfectly reasonable excuse for what he did, then surely he won't lose his job, correct? He can ony lose his job if he's found to be doing something wrong; so it doesn't matter how much press this gets. Valid excuse = valid excuse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

We get a lot of registered mail sent to our business address and in the last couple of months we are constantly getting those 'sorry we missed you' slips. Apparently our new postman calls around at 7am when there's no one there. Does anyone know is this normal that they attempt signed for deliveries at that ungodly hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Blade wrote: »
    We get a lot of registered mail sent to our business address and in the last couple of months we are constantly getting those 'sorry we missed you' slips. Apparently our new postman calls around at 7am when there's no one there. Does anyone know is this normal that they attempt signed for deliveries at that ungodly hour?

Despite my general fury at An Post over parcel deliveries, the 7am thing is mostly luck of the draw. They do start work damned early, and if you're at the start of his route, 7am wouldn't be out of the question. He has to start somewhere, after all.

It could be worth calling the local depot and outlining the problem, and asking if there's anything could be done.

OP, i think your're very foolish. This 'in-provable' behavior by postmen is shocking and you are probably the first person that has caught on tape. Not only has this happened to you, but to hundreds of other people throughout Ireland and you were in a position to put an end to it; and you didn't.

I don't care about what your saying about not wanting to make enemies or get the poor postie in trouble, that's HIS fault. when people don't do their job, they should get in trouble, especially when they're too lazy to ring a doorbell. This sort of carry on will most likely not end, and there's a fair chance the postman in the video doesn't even know that he's been caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Blade wrote: »
    I would think they should not be attempting to deliver such mail outside of normal office hours and if it is on a normal route for delivery before 9pm it should be passed on to a postperson in a van to be delivered with parcels!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lemmewinks wrote: »
    Firstly, I'm anonymous - nobody who saw the video knows who I am or where I live. An Post also don't know where I live, because I refused to tell them when they asked. I told them I didn't want him getting in trouble, so I wouldn't give them my address.

Secondly; if there was a perfectly reasonable excuse for what he did, then surely he won't lose his job, correct? He can ony lose his job if he's found to be doing something wrong; so it doesn't matter how much press this gets. Valid excuse = valid excuse.
    Well as far as I remember from the video the driver was clearly identifiable.

If there's a valid excuse for what he did then fair enough, but if he just couldn't be arsed due to sheer laziness then I would feel absolutely no sympathy for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement