Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post "Sorry we missed you note"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OP, i think your're very foolish. This 'in-provable' behavior by postmen is shocking and you are probably the first person that has caught on tape. Not only has this happened to you, but to hundreds of other people throughout Ireland and you were in a position to put an end to it; and you didn't.

I don't care about what your saying about not wanting to make enemies or get the poor postie in trouble, that's HIS fault. when people don't do their job, they should get in trouble, especially when they're too lazy to ring a doorbell. This sort of carry on will most likely not end, and there's a fair chance the postman in the video doesn't even know that he's been caught.
    You should probably read the whole thread before responding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I've witnessed the exact same thing happening to me. Note comes in door saying they tried to contact me but I was there and they didnt' attempt to ring the bell or anything . I believe this must be very widespread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Same thing happened to me.
    Was in the bedroom and seen the postie walk up the driveway.
    Though he was going to just post letters and went down seconds later to get them.
    Nope. Just left a note to say he called and we weren't in. No ringing of doorbell, no knocking.
    Just a note to say where we could collect our parcel in a collection depot at the far side of the town!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Lemmewinks wrote: »
    ... except you didn't - I was in, and I was upstairs working and saw you on my CCTV.

They posted a "Sorry we missed you" note - apparently I wasn't in when they tried to deliver my parcel and now I've to go to the depot on Monday.

Depot only around the corner so not pissed or anything, but seriously - why bother calling around to drop off the note? Just drop off the parcel instead! :confused:

This happened to me regularly - I live in a rural area and have a long-ish driveway with a small post-box at the gate.. Often the postman (post woman in this particular case) wouldn't fancy driving up my driveway(especially if it was wet) to deliver anything that wouldn't fit in the post-box and would just drop in the "please collect at the Post Office" note.

To begin with, this was a pain but at least the post-office was in the village and was readily accessible - I'd complain each time to the Postmaster and I'd get a few weeks of proper deliveries but then it'd slip back to the bad service.

About a year ago though, they no longer allowed for collections in the Post office and I now have to drive to the Sorting office 8 miles away which is only open from about 10am to 4pm (not much use if you're working). So when it continued to happen I complained to the head-guy at the sorting office.

Since then it's been fine - The Post-woman now always comes up the driveway with packages and knocks on the door to make sure she delivers, and following a conversation with her , she now leaves packages at the back of the house in a porch if we're not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Blade wrote: »
    We get a lot of registered mail sent to our business address and in the last couple of months we are constantly getting those 'sorry we missed you' slips. Apparently our new postman calls around at 7am when there's no one there. Does anyone know is this normal that they attempt signed for deliveries at that ungodly hour?

Depending on where you are in the postpersons route and how he/she orgainses the route your most likely at the start of it . The boss can ask the postperson to deliver at a later time but it's the postpersons discretion to do so . The start time of a route can be anywhere from 7.15am to 8.15am in the office I work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chillster1966

1 they live in apartments that have wonky intercoms
    people ring or txt their friends when they visit.postmen havent being issued with phones
    2 they dont have a visible apt number just the house number
    better to leave a note than risk an item being robbed from the public areas of a building
    3 willfull delay of the mail is a serious issue
    an post staff hired since 1983 are not public service
    4 top tip for people who get packets and parcels if you could talk to your postman and a near by address that suits yu could be agreed
    i.e a neighbour /relative
    5 the hours of collection have being cutback to save costs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

1 they live in apartments that have wonky intercoms
    people ring or txt their friends when they visit.postmen havent being issued with phones
    2 they dont have a visible apt number just the house number
    better to leave a note than risk an item being robbed from the public areas of a building
    3 willfull delay of the mail is a serious issue
    an post staff hired since 1983 are not public service
    4 top tip for people who get packets and parcels if you could talk to your postman and a near by address that suits yu could be agreed
    i.e a neighbour /relative
    5 the hours of collection have being cutback to save costs

I'm sorry, I don't understand what point(s) you're making

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Happens in Galway too.
    Why give the postman money? He's getting paid already.
    Anyway, all my postie ever brings are bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, my experience with An Post's deliveries is dire.

We get packages signed for by the postman with my name, then chucked in the flower bed.

In one case a package was left at the backdoor, in the rain. We didn't realise it was there for 2 weeks and the contents were completely destroyed (electronic stuff).

Sometimes letters are just thrown on the door step, doesn't even bother to use the letter box which is at mid-body level so does not even require someone to bend or stretch.

I've nearly given up on them. Any complaints are just ignored.

I'm also sick of missing items. Bank cards in particular seem to not arrive. I was waiting on a Bank of Ireland Laser card and it had to be cancelled and sent out three times!
    I don't necessarily think it's malicious, but about 20% of my mail gets misdelivered and never shows up. Basically, even though the houses are numbered, he delivers items to people with similar names on different streets. They often don't bring them over or put them back in the post.

It's so bad that I get items delivered to work to avoid this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,932 ✭✭✭✭Basq

dermiek wrote: »
    Why give the postman money? He's getting paid already.
    The same could apply to tipping in every industry..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

My information on this issue is that the postman in the video had already called to the door and got no answer and being the diligent postman that he is delivered to the rest of the original posters housing estate. then on the way out of the estate he returned to the ops house and it looked like there was still no one home and then he posted the docket, so in fact he had made two attempts to deliver the item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

My information on this issue is that the postman in the video had already called to the door and got no answer and being the diligent postman that he is delivered to the rest of the original posters housing estate. then on the way out of the estate he returned to the ops house and it looked like there was still no one home and then he posted the docket, so in fact he had made two attempts to deliver the item.

That would be the case if on the 2nd attempt he had carried the parcel with him and waited at the door for a few seconds before leaving the note, also 2 cars on the drive so was quite obvious someone could be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am sure that's the story he told his bosses. Oh the justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I've started paying extra for courier shipping that isn't by An Post because the extra charge on that end saves me the cost of getting all the way to the sorting office when they don't bother delivering the package. And by cost I don't just mean cash. I also mean the time it takes to get all the way out and back.

Hopefully someone from An Post sees this and realises that this kind of thing is going to cost them!

I should also mention that by and large I've decent service from An Post. But it seems to very much depend on who your postman happens to be!

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

Right - as per An Posts' request, I had a look at the footage from earlier that day - they're correct - he also called at 14:16, which is before I was home - please accept my sincere apologies, and I'd also like to give my apologies to the driver.

However - I did only post this as a goof, as clearly indicated in my 1st post. I then did everything I could to put a stop to it once it started getting unwanted attention. I declined to co-operate with any news sites that contacted me, and I deleted the videos immediately.
    Nobody knows the location except myself & An Post, and only people on here even saw the footage before I pulled it (and anyone who did see it, doesn't know where in the country this even happened!).

Anyway - I'm just glad I pulled the videos as soon as this turned into a witch-hunt, and the videos weren't posted on any sites that accompanied the article anyway.

I'm starving now - where's my humble pie?

P.S. I feel like such a c*nt.

Right - as per An Posts' request, I had a look at the footage from earlier that day - they're correct - he called at 14:16, which is before I was home - please accept my sincere apologies, and I'd also like to give my apologies to the driver.
    1307758337930.gif

Right - as per An Posts' request, I had a look at the footage from earlier that day - they're correct - he called at 14:16, which is before I was home - please accept my sincere apologies, and I'd also like to give my apologies to the driver.

However - I did only post this as a goof, as clearly indicated in my 1st post. I then did everything I could to put a stop to it once it started getting unwanted attention. I declined to co-operate with any news sites that contacted me, and I deleted the videos immediately.
    Nobody knows the location except myself & An Post, and only people on here even saw the footage before I pulled it (and anyone who did see it, doesn't know where in the country this even happened!).

Anyway - I'm just glad I pulled the videos as soon as this turned into a witch-hunt, and the videos weren't posted on any sites that accompanied the article anyway.

I'm starving now - where's my humble pie?

P.S. I feel like such a c*nt.

What difference does it make whether you were home or not? The driver didn't know that and he still didn't make an attempt to deliver your package.

Oh wait, are you saying he called earlier in the day as well as the time you have in your video?

Even if that's the case, why didn't post the note earlier? And why didn't he knock the 2nd time around?

What difference does it make whether you were home or not? The driver didn't know that and he still didn't make an attempt to deliver your package.
    I took it that the driver tried to deliver at 2.15pm.. and there was no answer.

As to why he came back... don't know.. he may not have had "Sorry We Missed You" notes with him first time round.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    <SNIP>

In fairness though - it's not as if I sent this clip or any info (name, location, etc) off to any news sites or even attached my name to it; other people sent it in. I didn't go blabbing about "what a disgrace" it was & start e-mailing it around to anyone, so I have no need to backtrack.
    My original post is consistent with my view now, even with hindsight. I really thought the thread would just get around 6 replies with "LOL" type responses, then drift down the page. When that didn't happen, I deleted the videos & denied requests for usage of them.

Oh wait, are you saying he called earlier in the day as well as the time you have in your video?

Even if that's the case, why didn't post the note earlier? And why didn't he knock the 2nd time around?

He called at 2:15pm - rang the bell & waited, etc. I got home at 2:30pm and was working upstairs (was on the phone) when I saw him call again with his van at 2:45pm.
    There was an extra car in the driveway the 2nd time he called and he didn't ring the bell, but yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

He called at 2:15pm - rang the bell & waited, etc. I got home at 2:30pm and was working upstairs (was on the phone) when I saw him call again with his van at 2:45pm.
    There was an extra car in the driveway the 2nd time he called and he didn't ring the bell, but yeah...

Funny, it turns out that you're the only one on the entire thread that has a postman that does his job right!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Magic Marker, can you not figure it out, This postman was going above and beyond what he was obliged to do to try to get the customers mail to him, as I have already said in my previous response. And now we know that what I stated was true.. He went to the house twice! when he could have just put the docket in on the first occasion.

This postmen is a very diligent worker as are the majority of them. THey workers start work at 6am every day, then deliver regardless of weather -dogs and some of the other many obstacles they must deal with and mostly take great pride in trying to deliver the mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,289 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Fair play Lemmewinks for a) checking the previous footage and b) coming back to post that that the postman actually did try to deliver your package

And extra points for deleted your videos pretty quickly and refusing to engage with the "let'im have it" brigade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It does not change the fact that I personally caught a postie doing exactly as your video shows, and the other complaints must have some validity.

This postie's mistake is not knocking again ~ what you could do is post both vids.

Anyway I'm off to the conspiracy forum to check up on ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭dublander

It seems to be normal practice now to skip the parcel delivery & just leave a note. I recently ordered a game off the net (requested no signature needed for delivery by an post) & I still got one of these notes in the postbox! It's a game, basically the same size as an envelope, why not just drop it off! Argghh!! So annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

gbee wrote: »
    It does not change the fact that I personally caught a postie doing exactly as your video shows, and the other complaints must have some validity.

This postie's mistake is not knocking again ~ what you could do is post both vids.

Anyway I'm off to the conspiracy forum to check up on ......

is it not entirley possible that the same thing that happend to the op also happend to you?
    dublander wrote: »
    It seems to be normal practice now to skip the parcel delivery & just leave a note. I recently ordered a game off the net (requested no signature needed for delivery by an post) & I still got one of these notes in the postbox! It's a game, basically the same size as an envelope, why not just drop it off! Argghh!! So annoying

calling bs on this.. if it goes in the letterbox it gets delivered,end of, unless it requires a sig..if it dosent it goes in the letterbox, we aint walking up your drive to write out a slip if the item fits in your door to begin with.. no way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

barone wrote: »
    is it not entirley possible that the same thing that happend to the op also happend to you?.

No. I was not out at anytime, the OP was. Plus I was expecting the parcel [electronics] and nervous and had tracking [as much as it is] which said it was at destination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

gbee wrote: »
    No. I was not out at anytime, the OP was. Plus I was expecting the parcel [electronics] and nervous and had tracking [as much as it is] which said it was at destination.

fair enough

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement