Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post "Sorry we missed you note"

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I was furious when I read this earlier. Being a postman for many years I dont like when we get a hammering like we are getting here especially as in my experience when I see 99% of my work collegues doing a good job every day. An Post are under severe pressure and in my opinion doing a good job. The level of unfair complaints, blatent lies
    Oh wait, are you saying he called earlier in the day as well as the time you have in your video?

Even if that's the case, why didn't post the note earlier? And why didn't he knock the 2nd time around?
    He may not have had a note the first time or noticed the second car in drive way when he came back.
    Lemmewinks wrote: »
    In fairness though - it's not as if I sent this clip or any info (name, location, etc) off to any news sites or even attached my name to it; other people sent it in. I didn't go blabbing about "what a disgrace" it was & start e-mailing it around to anyone, so I have no need to backtrack.
    My original post is consistent with my view now, even with hindsight. I really thought the thread would just get around 6 replies with "LOL" type responses, then drift down the page. When that didn't happen, I deleted the videos & denied requests for usage of them.
    No you didnt identify your area or location but you have ensured by posting to hastily that An Post have took a fair old hammering here.
    Magic Marker, can you not figure it out, This postman was going above and beyond what he was obliged to do to try to get the customers mail to him, as I have already said in my previous response. And now we know that what I stated was true.. He went to the house twice! when he could have just put the docket in on the first occasion.

This postmen is a very diligent worker as are the majority of them. THey workers start work at 6am every day, then deliver regardless of weather -dogs and some of the other many obstacles they must deal with and mostly take great pride in trying to deliver the mail.
    Agree 100% with this. I always aim to bring back as little as possible with me as it means I have to scan these items again instead of just scanning off my duty. If I can I will call back to a house on my way back to office to save someone the bother of calling down for it and this is quite common practise among postmen.
    dublander wrote: »
    It seems to be normal practice now to skip the parcel delivery & just leave a note. I recently ordered a game off the net (requested no signature needed for delivery by an post) & I still got one of these notes in the postbox! It's a game, basically the same size as an envelope, why not just drop it off! Argghh!! So annoying

This is not the case at all. If it is post up facts, dates, times. I know my D.S.M would go bananas if anyone in our office done this.
    dublander wrote: »
    It seems to be normal practice now to skip the parcel delivery & just leave a note. I recently ordered a game off the net (requested no signature needed for delivery by an post) & I still got one of these notes in the postbox! It's a game, basically the same size as an envelope, why not just drop it off! Argghh!! So annoying
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    It is not unheard of for postmen to store mail in their own homes rather than deliver it and this could easily be done with parcels or packages which would slow down the postman.?

This is a scandelous comment to make. It is a very serious offence to do what you are suggesting here.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    Also recently I have noticed all metered post such as bills etc has been delayed by 6-12 days but this is probably an post managing deliveries and delaying the metered post when volumes of other post are high rather than individual post persons interfering with the post?

Because its metered post does not mean the date is actually accurate as some companies have there own franking machines and might do 500 envelopes this week but not send them out until Thursday. If the letter are marked DM the postman has 10 days to deliver them and this is agred with person posting them, usually in Bulk

An Post are a decent company and if people have a problem there is a procedure which you should use rather than come on here bashing an Irish company who are doing a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Grungetta.jpg

Our bosses do a thorough search of the office every morning and any mail that may be found left behind will ensure a prompt phonecall and a not so polite bollicking.... After which, said postperson will have to go to the hassle of going back to the delivery office to retrieve the item for delivery. Which could take anything from 10 minutes to an hour. So there is no question of anything being left behind.

Also, it's a lot quicker and easier to just get a signature than it is to write a docket so I can't understand why anyone would....

I also have been on the recieving end of abuse from people insisting that I dropped a slip in the day before without knocking when I'm 100% sure that I did. Just to let people know, you might not remember those 2 minutes that you spent in the toilet/back garden/other area of the house where you cannot hear the door, but I sure do because I was standing on the doorstep cursing the fact that I had to write out a docket in full knowledge that you were going to cauterise me the next day for not knocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

[Just to let people know, you might not remember those 2 minutes that you spent in the toilet/back garden/other area of the house where you cannot hear the door, but I sure do because I was standing on the doorstep cursing the fact that I had to write out a docket in full knowledge that you were going to cauterise me the next day for not knocking.

I was standing on the other side of my letter box when the postman delivered a docket saying he had found nobody at home to accept the parcel. I practically caught the docket and various other letters as they fell through. By the time I found my keys and opened the bottom lock to open the door and question his behaviour (10 seconds) he was gone like a flash as quickly as he had arrived. The inconvenience is bad but it's the dishonesty of my postman which annoys me most of all. If I don't know where I stand in my dealings with An Post then I can't make proper plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

psychward wrote: »
    I was standing on the other side of my letter box when the postman delivered

etc. this video had highlighted a litany of disservice, you'll also notice they will deliver ONE parcel per day

I was standing on the other side of my letter box when the postman delivered a docket saying he had found nobody at home to accept the parcel. I practically caught the docket and various other letters as they fell through. By the time I found my keys and opened the bottom lock to open the door and question his behaviour (10 seconds) he was gone like a flash as quickly as he had arrived. The inconvenience is bad but it's the dishonesty of my postman which annoys me most of all. If I don't know where I stand in my dealings with An Post then I can't make proper plans.

Well then your postman wasn't doing his job right and should be reported. I'm just pointing out that I've had strips tore from me on countless occasions for not knocking the day before when i know that I most certainly did. I have also been given out to for actually knocking in the first place. And for not leaving their packages with their dodgy scruffy looking neighbours when they don't answer their own door. So for every person who complains about their postman doing/not doing something on this thread, there is someone out there who will feel just as obliged to rant about the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I've had this happen two out of the two times something has come via An Post.

I'm currently working/studying at home - I'm *always* home. And I have a dog. I live downstairs in a flat with it's own door. If anyone even *walks* up to that door, the dog will bark. If they ring the buzzer at the main door, it's so loud I couldn't possibly not hear it and the dog will bark. It's really loud - I can/have easily heard it while in the shower and in the bathroom.

Both times, they just dropped off a piece of paper saying they missed me and I had to walk to pick it up. There was absolutely no way they knocked on my door or rang the buzzer.

:(

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

LeoB wrote: »
    No you didnt identify your area or location but you have ensured by posting to hastily that An Post have took a fair old hammering here.

If you read back over the thread, you'll see that An Post only took a hammering due to other posters being p*ssed off BECAUSE THIS HAPPENS TO THEM ALL THE TIME. They just thought I had finally caught it on video, hence the attention - but my video has no bearing on all of the other claims ITT.
    An Post only took a hammering because other people believe this happens to them regularly.

I was furious when I read this earlier. Being a postman for many years I dont like when we get a hammering like we are getting here especially as in my experience when I see 99% of my work collegues doing a good job every day.
    I agree, and as I already stated before any of this came to light:
    "My main/daily postman is sound - and I always get my deliveries - this has never happened to me before, so it's not an ongoing thing."

An Post are a decent company and if people have a problem there is a procedure which you should use rather than come on here bashing an Irish company who are doing a good job.
    Again; I did follow the correct procedure, and complained directly to An Post. In all of my mails to them, I stated "I don't want to get anyone in trouble", because I wanted to wait for their reply first.
    It wasn't me who sent the videos around, and when this topic got more attention than I wanted, I deleted the videos. NONE of the press or articles were able to give any video accompanying their story, because I went out of my way to make sure those videos were deleted, and no permission was granted for usage.

Yes, I made an error posting them here at all; but as I already explained:
    • I really thought the thread would just get around 6 replies with "LOL" type responses, then drift down the page.
    • I feel like such a c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Happens all the time in Castleknock. Twice in fact to my family last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I Throw my postie an aul niffty(€50) in the Christmas card every year , never had a problem missing parcels !

He will even leave them with the neighbor for me .

I never ever understand why people do this kind of thing. He gets paid already. If you knew the work practises in An Post you might not be so quick to give him 'an aul nifty'
    The more people that do this eventually it's seen as an 'entitlement'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,289 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I never ever understand why people do this kind of thing. He gets paid already.
    Lots of people in the service industry get paid, and get tips. Can't see a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Seems to me that there is alot of BS been posted here, claims of postmen hoarding post at home, leaving post behind in the sorting office and only delivering one parcel a day.

In our local sorting office, the mail comes in from the main sorting office, the postmen will then sort all the mail and any incorrect mail is dispatched that day.

then then take ALL the mail with them on their route, they are spot checked on a regular basis, where their benchs and their vans are checked to see if there is any undelivered mail. there are also mystery mail items that are monitered electronically to see where any delays occur.

the postman is only supposed to attempt one delivery, our two lads will swing around their route in order to make sure that mary who doesnt get home till 4 gets her parcel.

im sure that there are some gob****e postmen out there, the same as in every occupation, but dont tar them all with the same brush and dont make BS statements.

If you have a problem, report it, if you dont make an OFFICIAL complaint then quiet simply the problem never existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭slith

Bah, this happens to me and my friends regularly, a colleague 'caught' the postman red-handed dropping the notice through the letterbox without knocking, my colleague noticed, went after him and asked for the parcel... Of course, he claims he doesn't even have the parcel with him.

Even worse is to go to the post office to collect an item for which you have one of those notices and be given ANOTHER parcel that was meant to be delivered to you a week before that. And yes, I got the two parcels, from two different countries. When I got home I tracked them both and their arrival to Ireland was about ~7 days apart from each other.

This stuff happens. We all know it. Maybe doesn't happen very often, but denying it or assuming that the 'control methods' work 100% is foolish.

It was unfortunate that the one time the media picks up on it, it happens to be one of the occasions when it didn't actually happen.

If you knew the work practises in An Post

:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fluffball

Right - as per An Posts' request, I had a look at the footage from earlier that day - they're correct - he also called at 14:16, which is before I was home - please accept my sincere apologies, and I'd also like to give my apologies to the driver.

However - I did only post this as a goof, as clearly indicated in my 1st post. I then did everything I could to put a stop to it once it started getting unwanted attention. I declined to co-operate with any news sites that contacted me, and I deleted the videos immediately.
    Nobody knows the location except myself & An Post, and only people on here even saw the footage before I pulled it (and anyone who did see it, doesn't know where in the country this even happened!).

Anyway - I'm just glad I pulled the videos as soon as this turned into a witch-hunt, and the videos weren't posted on any sites that accompanied the article anyway.

I'm starving now - where's my humble pie?

P.S. I feel like such a c*nt.

Well arent you a really nice person who would think what you posted was a goof YOU WERE PLAYING WITH A PERSONS LIVELYHOOD.....NOT FUNNY at all... You think no one knows the area......The world knows its Dublin 13 !!! If I were the postman I WOULD REFUSE to deliver your mail at all but as that cannot be done..I guess Video footage of your house would be GOOF enough for me title " HERE LIVES ONE 'SAD' FUNNY GOOFER......" with WAY too much time on his hands.......Shame on you and everybody MOANING about the postal workers they do a great job...early mornings in all weathers when alot of you wont get out of your beds to take in your mail !! and NO I AM NOT A POSTMAN...I am a happy costumer with one of the nicest Posties ever .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

^^^^

Well, if people didn't know where it was, they will now after your post, Fluffball. Do you not think it'd be a good idea to take out the location while complaining that the OP gave away too many details on the postie? :confused:

fluffball wrote: »
    Well arent you a really nice person who would think what you posted was a goof YOU WERE PLAYING WITH A PERSONS LIVELYHOOD.....NOT FUNNY at all... You think no one knows the area......The world knows its Dublin 13 !!! If I were the postman I WOULD REFUSE to deliver your mail at all

Theres half a million unemployed who will gladly do that job properly for less pay than the lazy waste of space who failed in the duty he was paid very well for. Take your threats against the livelihood of someone who actually works hard and shove them up your greedy selfish illiterate hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Theres half a million unemployed who will gladly do that job properly for less pay than the lazy waste of space who failed in the duty he was paid very well for. Take your threats against the livelihood of someone who actually works hard and shove them up your greedy selfish illiterate hole.

Eh, the postie was proven to have called back after trying to deliver the package while the OP was out. Fluffball is overreacting a little, but the postman did nothing wrong here.

Millicent wrote: »
    Eh, the postie was proven to have called back after trying to deliver the package while the OP was out. Fluffball is overreacting a little, but the postman did nothing wrong here.

Well as far as the postal service is concerned, I have direct undeniable experience of being shafted in this way for 5 out of 8 parcels delivered to me over the last 4 years. Zero attempts were made to deliver. One notification of having missed me was delivered instead. The parcel depot I wad forced to visit closes pretty early too. It's hugely inconvenient for me when this happens. But what should have been far more important to you when you quoted me was the idiot who was making threats I was responding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

gbee wrote: »
    etc. this video had highlighted a litany of disservice, you'll also notice they will deliver ONE parcel per day
    More Bulls**t. This is not true. Today I had about 75 items some house got 2 while 2 houses got 3. If you have any experience of dealing with some mail order firms they post out smaller packs as there is no import duty on items under £17.99stg so to avoid import duties they seperate the items and hense you get 3 or 4 packets. There is no proof they are all posted together.
    If you read back over the thread, you'll see that An Post only took a hammering due to other posters being p*ssed off BECAUSE THIS HAPPENS TO THEM ALL THE TIME. They just thought I had finally caught it on video, hence the attention - but my video has no bearing on all of the other claims ITT.
    An Post only took a hammering because other people believe this happens to them regularly.

I agree, and as I already stated before any of this came to light:
    "My main/daily postman is sound - and I always get my deliveries - this has never happened to me before, so it's not an ongoing thing."

Again; I did follow the correct procedure, and complained directly to An Post. In all of my mails to them, I stated "I don't want to get anyone in trouble", because I wanted to wait for their reply first.
    It wasn't me who sent the videos around, and when this topic got more attention than I wanted, I deleted the videos. NONE of the press or articles were able to give any video accompanying their story, because I went out of my way to make sure those videos were deleted, and no permission was granted for usage.

Yes, I made an error posting them here at all; but as I already explained:
    • I really thought the thread would just get around 6 replies with "LOL" type responses, then drift down the page.
    • I feel like such a c*nt.

In this case An Post took a hammering because of what you posted,
    but at least you had the decency to acknowledge what actually happened.
    If you followed the correct procudure you would have put it in writing and put your name to it. Its the least any worker can expect when someone decides to "report" them or make a complaint.

Who posted the video in the first place? Some people just hop on a bandwagon and I would doubt quite a few of the posts in this thread.
    I never ever understand why people do this kind of thing. He gets paid already. If you knew the work practises in An Post you might not be so quick to give him 'an aul nifty'
    The more people that do this eventually it's seen as an 'entitlement'

Care to explain his stupid statement. I am over 30years in An Post and P&T before that and can honestly say I have never witnessed any theft or staff damaging items. I get some tips and do be delighted to get them. But I do a good job every day. However I am quite happy when people even wish me a happy christmas.
    Shelflife wrote: »
    Seems to me that there is alot of BS been posted here, claims of postmen hoarding post at home, leaving post behind in the sorting office and only delivering one parcel a day.

they are spot checked on a regular basis, where their benchs and their vans are checked to see if there is any undelivered mail. there are also mystery mail items that are monitered electronically to see where any delays occur.

the postman is only supposed to attempt one delivery, our two lads will swing around their route in order to make sure that mary who doesnt get home till 4 gets her parcel.

im sure that there are some gob****e postmen out there, the same as in every occupation, but dont tar them all with the same brush and dont make BS statements.

If you have a problem, report it, if you dont make an OFFICIAL complaint then quiet simply the problem never existed.

Thats pretty accurate. Electronic tagging of mail has been in operation in An Post for a few years. People get items posted from various places and it is traced along its route. If An Post dont hit its targets they dont recieve grants from E.P.O

I spoke to 4 drivers this morning and everyone will do our best to get the item delivered. Most do SIMILAR to what was alleged in the op. I often write a docket at a door but finish in an estate or have to come back up that road so will put docket in then if I dont see a car. We all try to save the public the hassle of having to go pick up an item.

There have been a few thick postsin this thread but this is the thickest. In case you missed it this postie went above and beyond what he is supposed to do

There have been a few thick postsin this thread but this is the thickest. In case you missed it this postie went above and beyond what he is supposed to do

Troll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I see the CWU are busy defending their members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fluffball

Millicent wrote: »
    ^^^^

Well, if people didn't know where it was, they will now after your post, Fluffball. Do you not think it'd be a good idea to take out the location while complaining that the OP gave away too many details on the postie? :confused:

Eh No......WHATS good for the GOOSE......:) see the IDIOT back tracking now ! if your goin to make someone's life a misery...be dragged through all sorts of crap FOR NO REASON....have your Name....and your Integrity put into question....well give the FOOL a taste of his own SILLY MEDICINE..... too many of these A**e holes are getting away with defamation of character....just read todays paper RTE...back tracking too.......

fluffball wrote: »
    Well arent you a really nice person who would think what you posted was a goof YOU WERE PLAYING WITH A PERSONS LIVELYHOOD.....NOT FUNNY at all... You think no one knows the area......The world knows its Dublin 13 !!! If I were the postman I WOULD REFUSE to deliver your mail at all but as that cannot be done..I guess Video footage of your house would be GOOF enough for me title " HERE LIVES ONE 'SAD' FUNNY GOOFER......" with WAY too much time on his hands.......Shame on you and everybody MOANING about the postal workers they do a great job...early mornings in all weathers when alot of you wont get out of your beds to take in your mail !! and NO I AM NOT A POSTMAN...I am a happy costumer with one of the nicest Posties ever .

Weird - out of everywhere in the country, you spotted it was D13 - and you don't even work for An Post either! :eek: And you definitely don't have any inside info about this situation... how subtle you are. Mr. Incognito.

Yeah, film my house if you want - you seem to know exactly where it is... even though you DEFINITELY don't work for An Post.

slith wrote: »
    It was unfortunate that the one time the media picks up on it, it happens to be one of the occasions when it didn't actually happen.

Sums it up, TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Closed for Mod review, and to stop all this petty name calling and childishness by many of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

psychward and fluffball infracted for being utter idiots - rude and abusive to other posters.

lemmewinks warned for back seat modding.

Our man in Havana - you really should know better than to drag in the trade unions reference.

Thread permanently closed. The OP has taken full accountability for what happened here and I think the record has been set straight.

It's not pleasant how threads get abusive once mention of the public service is brought to bear.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement