Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aspergers posts disallowed in non-'disabled' forums

• 18-11-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Aspergers posts disallowed in non-'disabled' forums

I'm not sure that I understand this aspect of 'boards.ie', or why, as an aspie, I am banned from posting in other forums.

Any input?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well i think it was the right dicision to close it in AH -the thread was getting quite tactless and I assume the AH mods aren't trained in mental health issues so their best judgement was to close it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I assume the AH mods aren't trained in mental health issues
    Are any Boards mods trained in mental health issues? BTW, I'm pretty sure that Asperger's Syndrome is not a 'mental health issue'.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

It's not a 'mental health issue' and it's not a 'long term illness'. I was told that posts by aspies were only allowed in those two forums. Note that the post was funny, and not about aspergers, it just mentioned it.

Sounds like fairly open discrimination to me, and I intend to pursue it as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

It's not a 'mental health issue' and it's not a 'long term illness'. I was told that posts by aspies were only allowed in those two forums. Note that the post was funny, and not about aspergers, it just mentioned it.

Sounds like fairly open discrimination to me, and I intend to pursue it as such.
    was the actual core of the topic about aspergers,or was it just a side thing/not main?
    perhaps this is a misunderstanding somewhere and has no bad meaning behind it?
    have tried to speak to the moderator involved yet? if not,it might be worth speaking to them or another staff if do not feel comfortable as speaking around them instead of to them may just make things worse.
    if have wracked up enough infractions in an area,such as posting a topic not allowed in a section several times it can result in an area ban if remember correctly.

am doubtful there is discrimination from staffers here as many of us on boards will be on the spectrum given the size of the community.
    am personaly on the severe end of the spectrum and have been open about it outside of the disability board when its needed and have never been told its wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

What exactly is this about?

I have done a search on it a couple of times and I genuinely cannot make head nor tail of what is actually going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

The mention of aspergers was a side topic; i.e., mentioned in passing.

The moderator got trolled (by someone who mailed me and laughed about doing so afterwards) and banned it. The problem was that the reason that he banned it was on the grounds of the inoffensive post not the offensive reply.

Let me give you an example that should be clearer:

Someone posts a funny instance that happens to them. They mention in passing that they are black. The post receives a large number of answers abusing the abusive term 'N***er'. The moderator bans the POST for being offensive but doesn't discipline the actually offensive replies.

I am taking this up with my lawyer under ireland's defamation laws. I'll keep you posted on what happens as he allows.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kindly clarify what it is exactly you'll be taking up with your lawyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Hi Zynda,

I did manage to find some of the relevant posts eventually...my opinion is that the mod in question is displaying some issues that are encouraging a negative and derisory attitude to AS by other posters...as a result the rest of my opinion is that, for quite different reasons, it is probably best not to mention AS there until the dust has had time to settle and people resume having open minds...

...but also, unless there is something very different that I haven't seen, you seriously do not have anything like a case for defamation...there is no way to legally regulate "'tude".

Advertisement