Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish people criticizing irish americans

• 19-11-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I am pretty sick of this. I am American by birth, and I get pretty frustrated when Irish people tell irish americans they ARE AMERICAN NOT IRISH. I would admit to my scandinavian heritage before my irish! Peace all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Peace Yank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Oh Danny boy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Bleedin plastic paddys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I thought Sandeman Porto was from Portugal. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

I am pretty sick of this. I am American by birth, and I get pretty frustrated when Irish people tell irish americans they ARE AMERICAN NOT IRISH. I would admit to my scandinavian heritage before my irish! Peace all!

Look at your comment, now back to mine. Now back at your comment now back to mine. Sadly it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, writing the comment your comment could look like. What did you post? Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again the reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

I'm a bit confused by the point of this post?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I am American by birth

So you're American.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

But they are American.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

cool story bro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I happy to hear Americans identify themselves with their Irish roots.

I can't understand people who would object to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

QED

You werent born here, so you're not Irish. That's like me saying i'm from Tipp cause my Mam is.... Stupidness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

You're not Irish, you're American.

Your ancestry might have been Irish, but you're not. Simples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

feckin' vikings...shouldn't you be out pillaging and burning instead of bitching on the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Kiera wrote: »
    You werent born here, so you're not Irish. That's like me saying i'm from Tipp cause my Mam is.... Stupidness!

so what you are saying is that if a child born to nigerians in ireland or the united states is irish or american?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

woodoo wrote: »
    I happy to hear Americans identify themselves with their Irish roots.

I can't understand people who would object to it.

Same here. Don't understand why fellow Irish people feel threatened by it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

so what you are saying is that if a child born to nigerians in ireland or the united states is irish or american?
    Ow my brain. If you're not an Irish citizen you're not Irish. Pretty simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I think it's more a matter of where they're raised. If you were raised in Ireland I'd consider you Irish. My problem is with people who say they're Irish when they've never set foot in the country.

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

PK2008 wrote: »
    Look at your comment, now back to mine. Now back at your comment now back to mine. Sadly it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, writing the comment your comment could look like. What did you post? Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again the reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post

Nice try.
    http://youtu.be/owGykVbfgUE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I want you to go to the location where you store your passport. Now I want you to take it out and view it, what is it? It's an American passport. Is it an Irish passport? No, it's an American passport. You're an American with Irish ancestry, that is all.

I have no problem with Americans acknowledging their Irish heritage, but the Americans who insist they're Irish and pretend they know Irish culture or Ireland itself, well that gets pretty bloody irritating quickly.

KerranJast wrote: »

well how come ireland have a policy that if you can prove irish ancestry you are entitled to an irish passport? you have to elaborate on you're point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

If you were born in Ireland you are Irish!

If you were born in USA you are American!

If you were born in Nigeria you are Nigerian!

If I was to go by the American/Irish theory then I'm most likely Irish/Scottish/English/Viking.. or to go back even further surely I'm Irish/African because I remember seeing something about where the "original" people came from and it seems that they tracked/walked up from what we now know as Africa, before the continents separated.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I am pretty sick of this.

Nobody cares, and you are American.

Tipp doesn't have a culture and an identity like Ireland and Irish do. You don't grow up in Dublin with your Tipp roots and culture at the core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

KerranJast wrote: »

well how come ireland have a policy that if you can prove irish ancestry you are entitled to an irish passport? you have to elaborate on you're point

Oh my god.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

get you, Seamus Bjorn McDonalds.

Sandmanporto you're in the wrong forum if you are looking for sensible debate BTW.

foxinsox wrote: »
    If you were born in Ireland you are Irish!

If you were born in USA you are American!

If you were born in Nigeria you are Nigerian!

Solid theory there - no holes at all. Would stand up to any sample case or scrutiny.
    If I was to go by the American/Irish theory then I'm most likely Irish/Scottish/English/Viking.. or to go back even further surely I'm Irish/African because I remember seeing something about where the "original" people came from and it seems that they tracked/walked up from what we now know as Africa, before the continents separated.
    :)

Man left Africa around 70,000 years ago.

Pangea existed around 250 million years ago.

You may have a slight discrepancy with the numbers there. 70,000 years ago, the continents were in almost the exact position they're in now. In fact, 13,000 years ago Ireland was covered in ice, so it was after that when man finally made it to northern Europe. But yeah; 250 million, or 13,000 years - all the same, eh?

• Advertisement

Erm? WUT?
    Tipp doesn't have a culture and an identity like Ireland and Irish do. You don't grow up in Dublin with your Tipp roots and culture at the core.

*wush* that went over your head didnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Deal With It.

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Lemmewinks wrote: »
    Solid theory there - no holes at all. Would stand up to any sample case or scrutiny.

Man left Africa around 70,000 years ago.

Pangea existed around 250 million years ago.

You may have a slight discrepancy with the numbers there. 70,000 years ago, the continents were in almost the exact position they're in now. In fact, 13,000 years ago Ireland was covered in ice, so it was after that when man finally made it to northern Europe. But yeah; 250 million, or 13,000 years - all the same, eh?

ok ok.. I didn't mention figures :p

I can't remember details, but I have a vague recollection of seeing a documentary showing a red line highlighting where people migrated from the continent of Africa.. maybe it meant they made it to Northern Europe etc. I didn't necessarily mean they walked to Ireland, or into town :D

I should have taken more time researching facts before posting, but hey it's late. so apologies to anyone I have upset by vaguely suggesting that man walked from Africa to Ireland..

Anyways, ye get the jist of what I'm saying..

* sulks off back to kitchen * :p

foxinsox wrote: »
    ok ok.. I didn't mention figures :p

I can't remember details, but I have a vague recollection of seeing a documentary showing a red line highlighting where people migrated from the continent of Africa.. maybe it meant they made it to Northern Europe etc. I didn't necessarily mean they walked to Ireland, or into town :D

I should have taken more time researching facts before posting, but hey it's late. so apologies to anyone I have upset by vaguely suggesting that man walked from Africa to Ireland..

Anyways, ye get the jist of what I'm saying..

* sulks off back to kitchen * :p
    This is a good animation of it:

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/

It even shows the ice receding, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

another melodramatic american

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

RMD wrote: »
    I want you to go to the location where you store your passport. Now I want you to take it out and view it, what is it? It's an American passport. Is it an Irish passport? No, it's an American passport. You're an American with Irish ancestry, that is all.

I have no problem with Americans acknowledging their Irish heritage, but the Americans who insist they're Irish and pretend they know Irish culture or Ireland itself, well that gets pretty bloody irritating quickly.

Fairly sad if you define yourself by what a piece of governmental paper says.

Other than that I agree with ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How isn't he Irish? You folks seem to be thinking of Ireland the Nationality, not Irish the race of people. You are a Race aren't you? I was pretty sure. Last I checked. Otherwise African Americans are just taking the piss right?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

read that back to yourself. it dosnt mean anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sure isn't race just black white and yellow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep and the "original people" mixed with locals along the way, so Europeans and west Asians have Neandertal blood in the mix and east Asian folks have even more archaic human blood in them. It starts to get terribly confusing and we're barely beginning to scratch the surface. So to claim any definitive ancestry gets even more confusing and a tad daft.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

irish cant relate to this because they dont no what a multicultaral society is. im born in america to irish parents...im irish and american..lived in ireland since 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

So you're American.

So if Irish parents go on holiday who gave birth to a child while in America, then return to Ireland where the child grew up, that child is American?

That is rediculous.

If two Nigerian parents give birth to a child in Ireland, I suppose that child has no right to be called Nigerian and is instead 100% Irish, by your analysis?

I like it when Americans consider themselves proud of their Irishness a lot more than other Nationalities! Makes me proud to be Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

sandmanporto you're irish.we should all be happy with the fact that people are proud to identify as irish and not start splitting hairs.I heard of lots of people who have come back to ireland to live once again after their previous relatives left and i think that's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

You regard yourself as American. Irish people regard you as American.
    Where's the problem?

Erm? WUT?

ERM ???
    WUT??

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Eh??? Irish? American? does it really matter?

Sick of people having a go at americans. Leave em alone.

So if Irish parents go on holiday who gave birth to a child while in America, then return to Ireland where the child grew up, that child is American?

That is rediculous.

If two Nigerian parents give birth to a child in Ireland, I suppose that child has no right to be called Nigerian, by your analysis?

I like it when Americans consider themselves proud of their Irishness a lot more than other Nationalities! Makes me proud to be Irish.

I dont think you're allowed fly when that heavily pregnant :P

twistyj wrote: »
    read that back to yourself. it dosnt mean anything.

There is no Tipp culture. Its hardly something you identify with if you grow up in Dublin like she did. Its just not the same as identifying with a nationality.

ERM ???
    WUT??

:confused::confused::confused:

See! You dont even speak the language :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Overheal wrote: »
    How isn't he Irish? You folks seem to be thinking of Ireland the Nationality, not Irish the race of people. You are a Race aren't you? I was pretty sure. Last I checked. Otherwise African Americans are just taking the piss right?
    Well.... OH "race" is a bit of a vague and slightly daft premise. Genetic populations have a little more weight, but again it's confusing. EG "Africans" encompass the largest genetic diversity on earth. Even so as a species we're very very very interrelated. One group of chimps separated by a mile of forest can be less related than all humans on earth are.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement