Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish people criticizing irish americans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

A first generation irish kid of nigerian parents parents is 200 time more irish in my eyes than some fanny pack wearing yank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Irish mother...

'' Rosin ....put that Brentwood LA / Bronx NYC accent down ...NOW :mad:

Rosin

'' Mom ...your taken the piss '' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Kiera wrote: »
    You werent born here, so you're not Irish. That's like me saying i'm from Tipp cause my Mam is.... Stupidness!
    If a pig is born in a stable does it turn into a horse? There a lot more to nationality than being born in a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    If a pig is born in a stable does it turn into a horse? There a lot more to nationality than being born in a country.

Haha, you iz silly. We're all still humans no matter where we're born. Just not all of the same nationality. Your little barn story doesnt really make sense, its cute tho :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Kiera wrote: »
    Haha, you iz silly. We're all still humans no matter where we're born. Just not all of the same nationality. Your little barn story doesnt really make sense, its cute tho :P
    Fanks silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Desire2

Lemmewinks wrote: »
    13,000 years ago Ireland was covered in ice,
    What are You on about?
    Last year Ireland was covered in Ice.:pac:

Overheal wrote: »
    How isn't he Irish? You folks seem to be thinking of Ireland the Nationality, not Irish the race of people. You are a Race aren't you? I was pretty sure. Last I checked. Otherwise African Americans are just taking the piss right?

Seems like all Americans other than the native ones are taking the piss by your logic there overheal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well.... OH "race" is a bit of a vague and slightly daft premise. Genetic populations have a little more weight, but again it's confusing. EG "Africans" encompass the largest genetic diversity on earth. Even so as a species we're very very very interrelated. One group of chimps separated by a mile of forest can be less related than all humans on earth are.
    Well if you want to bring Gene Pool into it, over here, I can still spot an Irish blooded person from 50 yards away, with a reasonably high level of accuracy. Hell, I just met another Moylan today.

I really don't understand why it's such a problem if such people wish to identify as Irish American. I understand Italian Americans are also pretty famous for doing this.
    Seems like all Americans other than the native ones are taking the piss by your logic there overheal.
    How do you reckon?

The USA is a multicultural society but it has clear genealogical divisions. It's not outlandish to identify oneself by that division anymore than one would refer to themselves both by their first name and their family name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maps_of_American_ancestries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

I am pretty sick of this. I am American by birth, and I get pretty frustrated when Irish people tell irish americans they ARE AMERICAN NOT IRISH. I would admit to my scandinavian heritage before my irish! Peace all!

WTF! Talk about a chip on your shoulder. We don't care what you would admit to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Because Americans come up with things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I think Irish people criticize everything dont take it to heart its just our nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Right, allow me to interject into this conversation.

If your parents or grandparents were from Ireland, I'll give you a pass. Seems perfectly fine to be to call yourself an Irish-American, and have an affinity towards the island and it's culture.

Look at two of Ireland's top boxers at the moment. Andy Lee and Matthew Macklin. Both of them were born in England to Irish parents, but we are more than happy to accept them as our own.

Aidan McGeady was born in Scotland from Irish grandparents, but yet - we happily have him on the Irish soccer team, like many others before him and many after him.

There seems to be a new trend lately against 'Irish-Americans', and it gets annoying. I guarantee you, if some hot-shot soccer player from the states tomorrow played for the Irish soccer team and took us through to the European final - people would be more than happy to call him Irish.

The way I see it is, if you have an affinity for Ireland - go for it. There's enough begrudging arseholes in this country - we could do with a few to actually look upon it with a bit of positivity.

I think what most Irish people get irked by is anyone who's all of a sudden Irish on Paddy's day, because their great-great-great-great-great grandfather drank a pint of Guinness once. If you have a genuine connection to Ireland, then you're Irish, or Irish-American. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

TL, DR: Haters gonna hate.

Arianna_26 wrote: »
    WTF! We don't care what you would admit to.

We? speak for yourself,it is not difficult to understand what the OP meant.
    It is difficult to understand people who join in on a pack mentality though in response.

Desire2 wrote: »
    We? speak for yourself,it is not difficult to understand what the OP meant.
    It is difficult to understand people who join in on a pack mentality though in response.

Haha, my sincere apologies if I have offended you (doesn't take much obviously). I meant I of course! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

EdenHazard wrote: »
    irish cant relate to this because they dont no what a multicultaral society is. im born in america to irish parents...im irish and american..lived in ireland since 6

You've only been here a few hours and you're causing trouble already.

• Advertisement

Haha, my sincere apologies if I have offended you (doesn't take much obviously). I meant I of course! :rolleyes:

Your sincere apology is accepted.

the sarcasm emocian makes it all the more sincere.

Your sincere apology is accepted.

the sarcasm emocian makes it all the more sincere.

Of course it does (I'm out now, argue with your toenails).

Of course it does (I'm out now, argue with your toenails).

you may leave with your head held high having defended your your view with such style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

My birth mother was Irish, my birth father was Australian. I was born in England. I live in Ireland. I'm still blinkin' English. You are American - isn't that enough for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

dlofnep wrote: »

Aidan McGeady was born in Scotland from Irish grandparents, but yet - we happily have him on the Irish soccer team, like many others before him and many after him.

How about John Aldridge. The only connection he has to Ireland is a Great grandmother from Westmeath but we don't mind calling him our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I can understand Irish Americans wanting to hold on to their roots but where you were born and raised is where you are from. Americans seem to be so proud of their country, patriotic to the core so why then do they insist that they are from other countries? Why cant you just say I'm American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It might just be the Irish people in Ireland who criticize Irish Americans because most of the first born Irish I know who went to America in recent times are glad to be there .

The Irish living off shore in other countrys (besides USA ) have more important things to be worrying about and really couldn't give a fcuk either way .

How about John Aldridge. The only connection he has to Ireland is a Great grandmother from Westmeath but we don't mind calling him our own.

John I'll give a pass, but you're still a wop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Overheal wrote: »
    How isn't he Irish? You folks seem to be thinking of Ireland the Nationality, not Irish the race of people. You are a Race aren't you? I was pretty sure. Last I checked. Otherwise African Americans are just taking the piss right?

irish isn't a separate race no, ethnic group for sure but separate race no, caucasian is a race of which a large proportion of irish fall into that category race-wise

the term african americans i always find strange, they are americans, why are white americans not called european americans?? seems only fair :D

rossie1977 wrote: »
    irish isn't a separate race no, ethnic group for sure but separate race no, caucasian is a race of which a large proportion of irish fall into that category race-wise

the term african american has never sat well with me, they are americans, why are white americans not called european americans?? seems only fair :D

nicely said rossie1977!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I can understand Irish Americans wanting to hold on to their roots but where you were born and raised is where you are from. Americans seem to be so proud of their country, patriotic to the core so why then do they insist that they are from other countries? Why cant you just say I'm American.

I think it's because the United States as a country doesn't have a long enough history of its own. JFK actually complained about how he was still regarded as Irish when his father and grandfather were both born in the United States. However you never hear of 'English Americans', the descendents of the original settlers so maybe you need a time frame of closer to 6 or 7 generations for the connection to die out.

This same situation doesn't happen in Canada or Australia so I don't know why the US is the exception. You never hear people refer to themselves as Irish-Australian, it seems to be very much a US trait.

Caucasian is a very US term though. You never really hear it used anywhere else, it's strange.

This same situation doesn't happen in Canada or Australia so I don't know why the US is the exception. You never hear people refer to themselves as Irish-Australian, it seems to be very much a US trait.

And what harm is done by it to anybody?
    Let it be!:)

Eh, no harm done just pointing out the difference, it's quite curious.

Americans want preference ... what a surprise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

the term african americans i always find strange, they are americans, why are white americans not called european americans?? seems only fair :D

The explanation is quite simple. Americans of European origin can usually trace their roots to a particular country, e.g. Irish-American, Italian-American, Polish-American, etc. Americans of African origin mostly cannot trace their origins to a particular country as no records were kept of where they were taken from or the country as we know it today, didn't exist back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

If Irish-Americans want to say they're Irish, only the oddest sort of individual would care enough to deny them the right to that identity.

After all, a large number of Irish-born people are fairly intent upon being culturally English - indeed unlike many Irish-Americans some of these people seem to positively detest traditional Irish culture and sport - and yet their claims to an Irish identity seem to be accepted. They are simply twisting the criteria for "Irishness" to suit their personal circumstances, while denying other people the right to twist the criteria for "Irishness" to suit their personal circumstances. Silly, fairly brain-dead stuff indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭G.muny

To me, its nots really where you were born its more of a culture thing. For example I know alot of Africians who weren't born here but have been here since they were very young kids. Have Irish accents and Irish mannerisms. Grew up here and have an understanding of the culture because well really at that point is theirs. Its what shaped them really. I have no problem with them calling themselves Irish if they want because with them its not an act.

Someone from America, who has never been here let alone never lived here and thinks its all green fields and fiddles and drinking more than the person sitting beside you. They can say they are Irish but really they haven't a clue what being Irish really is because they have never experienced it properly. Alot of the time what they are is an Amercian sterotype version of what America considers to be Irish and yes it does irritate me being honest.

You want to claim to be Irish. Come and live here for 10 years, get a job here, raise a family here and intergrate into society. Than maybe I would consider them so.

Eh, no harm done just pointing out the difference, it's quite curious.

It is a bit ok,America chose to use different terminology and spelling of certain words after its war of Independence,it is ancient history now but understandable.
    i would have preferred to just thank some posts here but i cannot until i have 25 posts.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

I can't believe how arroagant some people are .
    The replies here were pretty rude. Especially the anti American replies. Irish people are wanting to emigrate to the USA now because of the recession?
    You say Americans are arrogant, think of you're own people.
    BTW i'm flying out home tomorrow for good

I can't believe how arroagant some people are .
    The replies here were pretty rude. Especially the anti American replies. Irish people are wanting to emigrate to the USA now because of the recession?
    You say Americans are arrogant, think of you're own people.

Just for the record, if this is in relation to me, I'd never emigrate to America. I'd rather bear the recession we are facing. Nothing feels as good as home.

AH isn't doing much for Irish tourism, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

the problem is a lot of irish people have a view of irish americans as being old people with fanny packs walking around dublin, thats not what irish americans are, go to boston, see the working class irish americans and tell them they not irish ;)

dlofnep wrote: »
    AH isn't doing much for Irish tourism, that's for sure.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

So you're flying to Ireland, is it?

EdenHazard wrote: »
    the problem is a lot of irish people have a view of irish americans as being old people with fanny packs walking around dublin, thats not what irish americans are, go to boston, see the working class irish americans and tell them they not irish ;)

To be fair though, if your grandparents were Irish I can understand the connection. But when you're reaching the 4th generation I think it begins to become a bit strange. What sort of connection can you have with the place your great grandmother came from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Are you good at soccer? If so you can be irish. It worked for Tony Cascarino who turned out to be not so irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

The amount of random people in America who hear you talking and come over screaming "OMG ARE YA'LL IRISH? I'M FROM DAWN-EAGLE"

#1 it's Donegal
    #2 You're not from dawn eagle, nor are you Irish

I think it's the way that Americans go about it, not the actual fact they're claiming to be Irish. Someone coming up to you saying their great great grandmother is from such and such a place and making conversation is less annoying than someone screaming in your face that they're from a place that they can't pronounce.

The first few times it happened to me it was funny but after a few dozen people jumping on you to tell you about their ancestors because you have an Irish accent, it gets annoying.

Everyone wants to be Irish :P Do many New Yorkers with great great grandparents from say Chicago jump on people with an accent to tell them about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

stacexD wrote: »

Everyone wants to be Irish

If they do then so be it. Why would it bother any Irish person. I'd take it as a compliment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

stacexD wrote: »

Everyone wants to be Irish :P

Now this is one thing that pisses me off. It might make Irish people feel better about themselves but it is patently untrue. That and the other meme that Irish people are loved all over the world.

• Advertisement

Gyalist wrote: »
    Now this is one thing that pisses me off. It might make Irish people feel better about themselves but it is patently untrue. That and the other meme that Irish people are loved all over the world.

Can you tell us where we're hated please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Whether or not the OP is Irish or American, does it really matter? There are more important things we have to deal with.

Everyone fights over everything for the sake of it. Not just boards, but life in general.

It's doing my head in.

If they do then so be it. Why would it bother any Irish person. I'd take it as a compliment.
    Didn't say it bothered me. It's annoying when people insist on shoving their family tree in your face but if they want to say they're Irish let them at it. Of course, still doesn't change the fact they're American.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

To be fair though, if your grandparents were Irish I can understand the connection. But when you're reaching the 4th generation I think it begins to become a bit strange. What sort of connection can you have with the place your great grandmother came from?

It seems like some people in Irish society, particularly in working class Dublin, can have a connection with a British city that none of their known family have come from and support for that city's soccer team can become a central part in the identity of these Irish people. I find that much stranger than somebody whose family left Ireland in the 1850s, having been here since before history was recorded, saying they're Irish. I don't see anything but positivity in such a self-definition, not least for the Irish economy (which appears to be the watermark of whether something is worth doing these days).

The Irish diaspora is a huge part of Irish history and identity. Having ten million people beyond Ireland claiming they're "Irish" is a better situation for Ireland than nobody claiming it. It seems very mean spirited and self righteous to deny somebody a right to claim an Irish identity, given what passes for "Irishness" in the minds of many of the same Irish-born people.

Gyalist wrote: »
    This whole thread is about people trying to say they're Irish :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement