Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish people criticizing irish americans

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

RMD wrote: »
    I want you to go to the location where you store your passport. Now I want you to take it out and view it, what is it? It's an American passport. Is it an Irish passport? No, it's an American passport. You're an American with Irish ancestry, that is all.

I have no problem with Americans acknowledging their Irish heritage, but the Americans who insist they're Irish and pretend they know Irish culture or Ireland itself, well that gets pretty bloody irritating quickly.

When I checked, I had two of them. One was Navy, and made me want to eat hamburgers when I held it in my hand. The other was wine and made me want pints.

People can have more than one nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Gnobe wrote: »
    Even if you've never lived in that country??

My dad was born in Toronto in 1958, moved back to Ireland in christmas 1960, went to primary school in louth, leaving cert in louth, UCD medicine degree etc. The only time he went back to Canada was in 1978 when he was a student for TWO WEEKS.

So the only time in the past 51 years my dads been to Canada was a holiday in 1978 at the age of 20. He doesn't know anything about Canada other than he was just born there, infact he couldn't even name the street he lived in (we had to look it up). He doesn't actually know the names of any streets in Toronto or Canada for that matter.

He does however know the Irish national anthem in Irish virtually back to front, got an A in his leaving cert for Irish back in 1976 and is still fluent in Irish to this day.

But my dad's Canadian?? You see this is how stupid this flaw in your argument is?? Some people who have known my dad for over 20 years don't even know my Dad's born in Canada. Oh and in his 53 years of life he's only ever held a Irish passport.
    I didnt realise I was having an argument , I was offering an opinion.I dont know why it would be such a bad thing to be a Canadian.My Dad like a lot of people speaks very little Irish does this make him less Irish? Suggesting that people born in England are English does not seem stupid to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

My dad was born in Toronto in 1958, moved back to Ireland in christmas 1960, went to primary school in louth, leaving cert in louth, UCD medicine degree etc. The only time he went back to Canada was in 1978 when he was a student for TWO WEEKS.

So the only time in the past 51 years my dads been to Canada was a holiday in 1978 at the age of 20. He doesn't know anything about Canada other than he was just born there, infact he couldn't even name the street he lived in (we had to look it up). He doesn't actually know the names of any streets in Toronto or Canada for that matter.

He does however know the Irish national anthem in Irish virtually back to front, got an A in his leaving cert for Irish back in 1976 and is still fluent in Irish to this day.

But my dad's Canadian?? You see this is how stupid this flaw in your argument is?? Some people who have known my dad for over 20 years don't even know my Dad's born in Canada. Oh and in his 53 years of life he's only ever held a Irish passport.

I was once as stupid as some people around here but it took me a few years living around the world to get my head around it but at the end of the day ignorant people are ignorant don't worry about it they'll never change ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Born & reared here = Irish
    Born here & reared abroad = Irish
    Born elsewhere & reared here = Not Irish, but Ireland is your 'home'
    Born & reared elsewhere = Get away with ya!

Just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Kiera wrote: »
    You werent born here, so you're not Irish. That's like me saying i'm from Tipp cause my Mam is.... Stupidness!

Arsebiscuits....... I wasn't born here cos my folks (Irish with Irish passports) happened to be working in the UK at the time. Doesn't make me any less Irish. They moved back here when I was 3 weeks old

Anyway...what's the point of this thread again?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Arianna_26 wrote: »
    To me, personally, if you were born in a country then you can rationally claim that nationality. If you are going back to my mother, grandmother or great-grandmother belonged to that nation then that's not on.

Bottom line is, to me, if you aren't born in that country, you shouldn't be able to claim nationality.

Well that would sort out our fly-half conundrum in an instant then although we'd be light in the third row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

The op is Irish American? I don't get it, why are people raging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

As the Duke of Wellington said "just because I was born in a stable doesnt mean Im a horse"

Im more or less in the same position as your Dad. Both parents Irish, spent a few years in the US studying, I was born in mid 67, returned home early 68 and have been here since. And according to some of the experts on here I'm a foreigner:rolleyes:

Spike Milligan had a huge issue with this - he was born in India while his father was in the Army there. At some point post Indian independence they changed the law so that he lost the right to british citizenship. He was classified as Indian which he wasnt too happy about - in the end he took up an Irish passport based on one of his parents birthplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

For those who say place of birth determines everything - you do realise of course that in Ireland there is no automatic right to citizenship by virtue of being born here - thanks very much Mr Michael McDowell.

Would you have it that people refused citizenship where they were born should be stateless?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I am pretty sick of this. I am American by birth, and I get pretty frustrated when Irish people tell irish americans they ARE AMERICAN NOT IRISH. I would admit to my scandinavian heritage before my irish! Peace all!

Who could possibly care?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Arsebiscuits....... I wasn't born here cos my folks (Irish with Irish passports) happened to be working in the UK at the time. Doesn't make me any less Irish. They moved back here when I was 3 weeks old

Anyway...what's the point of this thread again?

The point is Ireland is full of ignorant buckets of ignorant ****e and thats about it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

Geographic location of birth has no connection to nationality. Irish Americans are just that, Americans with a bit of Irish.

Geographic location of birth has no connection to nationality. Irish Americans are just that, Americans with a bit of Irish.

And anyone that doesn't understand that would want to go read a book and save up and visit and see first hand America, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and even just Britian.... if possible then go to Argentina and Mexico and learn about the Irish immigrants there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    As the Duke of Wellington said "just because I was born in a stable doesnt mean Im a horse"

No he didn't, it was what Daniel O'Connell said about him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    He never said that. It was Daniel O'Connell using an old phrase in a speech about Wellington. Indeed Wellington spoke highly of the "gallant generous hearted Irish catholics" under his command and expressed shame that such men who carried him to military honours were not equally honored. He was every inch British to his mind, but never denied his Irish background as a subset of that. I suppose if he had been an American he may have self described as "Irish Briton".

Me I don't see what the issue with American folks or anyone else for that matter tipping their hat to whatever cultural hat they find themselves wearing through accident of birth or upbringing. As others have said the Irish are among a very few cultures where the diaspora is so important to our history and how we see ourselves, both inside and outside this country. I'd reckon ourselves, the Jews and the Han Chinese would be among the most shaped by this. There are few enough parts of this world were the Irish and Jews have not ended up, often in big numbers. South America has shedloads who can lay claim to Irish ancestry, indeed many Irish names are to be found among the founders and revolutionaries in such countries.

Though it was an accident of my birth I do feel pride at those people who made a difference to the world and world history, named and unnamed. I can't see what the problem is with that going the other way. It's pretty daft if you ask me to moan about that connection, however tenuous. On the tenuous front, it's quite possible, nay probable that one could find an Argentinian person who has a deeper Irish genetic history than many of those decrying "plastic paddies" on this thread.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

God... wrote: »
    The point is Ireland is full of ignorant buckets of ignorant ****e and thats about it!!!

God, why have you forsaken us?:(

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I can't believe how arroagant some people are .
    The replies here were pretty rude. Especially the anti American replies. Irish people are wanting to emigrate to the USA now because of the recession?
    You say Americans are arrogant, think of you're own people.
    BTW i'm flying out home tomorrow for good

that's the biggest flounce I've ever seen :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Overheal wrote: »
    How isn't he Irish? You folks seem to be thinking of Ireland the Nationality, not Irish the race of people. You are a Race aren't you? I was pretty sure. Last I checked. Otherwise African Americans are just taking the piss right?

AFAIK, my race is human.. or orc if I'm playing world of warcraft :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

my family tree.

dads side French/Normandy / Norway / Belgium /Liverpudlian

mam's side Welsh/ Scottish/ Dutch / Cornish ?

whats that make me ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Kiera wrote: »
    You werent born here, so you're not Irish. That's like me saying i'm from Tipp cause my Mam is.... Stupidness!

So I was born in Tunisia, but my parents are Irish, all of my family is Irish and I moved back to Ireland when I was twelve, I hold Irish Citizenship and a Irish passport. Are you trying to say I'm not Irish as well.
    I also have no connection to Tunisia except for being born there due to my fathers work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

All i know is the nicest looking women in europe are from the continent. Just a point. I dont understand why irish americans are proud to be irish when they have german or scandinavian blood.

What a stupid fcuking statement.

1-Americans of German heritage were persecuted during WW1 and WW2 and this effectively ended the German-American thing, many of them changed their names. They still make up 30% of the US population but most people aren't aware of it.

2-Scandinavians make up a tiny percentage of Americans outside of Minnesota, Chicago and Wisconsin. If you go to Milwaukee Swedish culture is far more widespread.

Seriously, you clearly don't have a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

my family tree.

The ultimate European :D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

my family tree.

Mongrel. Don't take it to heart though, I'm sure you're still lovely :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

my family tree.

European ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

my family tree.

A rather expensive cocktail. I like how you
    have derailed this thread and I salute you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

my family tree.

Eh, I think American!

Yep, defnitely American!

:pac:

By the way I never mentioned it in my previous posts:

It doesn't actually bother me in the slightest that a fair amount of Americans want to say that they are Irish American.. We're all human at the end of the day and it really doesn't make any difference where we are from.

Although if all the Irish Americans contributed their money toward our taxes and invested in Ireland, well that would be just dandy too!

To the posters who are tarring all Irish people with the same brush and making sweeping statements about how the "Irish" feel about Polish etc.. Please don't include me in your vast generalisations.

Ye all have a nice day now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Gyalist wrote: »
    Now this is one thing that pisses me off. It might make Irish people feel better about themselves but it is patently untrue. That and the other meme that Irish people are loved all over the world.

Completely agree. I hate hearing people say everyone wants to be irish because its bull. I was in america in the south and they never mention being Irish at all.

All i know is the nicest looking women in europe are from the continent. Just a point. I dont understand why irish americans are proud to be irish when they have german or scandinavian blood.

So you are not proud to be Irish after all. Then why have you wasted our time in this thread.

Your earlier question would you prefer to be Irish or Swedish. I'd pick Irish. Why would i possibly pick Swedish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Hey OP, im from indian decent but born and raised in good oul eire! i never think as myself from india! I havnt even got an elephant for a start anyway.

Oh but also, i think it's cool if someone like op wishes to call himself irish. why not?
    Now an irish/jamacian id lke to see!!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I can claim to be American?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Sir Alexander Bustamante GBE, National Hero of Jamaica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I can understand Irish Americans wanting to hold on to their roots but where you were born and raised is where you are from. Americans seem to be so proud of their country, patriotic to the core so why then do they insist that they are from other countries? Why cant you just say I'm American.
    Its fun reading Irish people think.

For one, this thread is bloated, spewing, with Irish Patriotism. And there are plenty more where this came from. Do the Irish really not smell the stink of their own shyte? You're all as patriotic as anybody. 'What land is this? Ahrland!'

Secondly, this idea that Sean Hannity speaks for America and we all go to bed at night praying to baby Jesus and chanting about how we live in the 'greatest, free-est nation on Earth'. A load of crap, I assure you. Don't let punditry fool you into thinking that all Americans prescribe to a doctrine of Exceptionalism.

Finally, American culture is defined by it's roots. Since the War of Independence it's been what, only 230 years, 'ish? We don't have the same elongated history that Europe and Asia have. We might, if the natives weren't essentially the victims of genocide. Ah, but thats another story entirely - for the moment you can simply acknowledge that the vast majority of the population and culture originates from European ancestry.

I don't understand why so many Irish on this thread are having conniptions about people wishing to wear 'Irish' on their sleeve. It really shouldn't matter if they are 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 5th generation. Would you be happier if a tourist said they had "Irish Ancestry"? I for one have never heard anybody walk up to a Pat and say "My great^7 grandfather was Irish therefore I am Irish and we are family, brother." Maybe I was just hanging out in the wrong pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Hey OP, im from indian decent but born and raised in good oul eire! i never think as myself from india! I havnt even got an elephant for a start anyway.

Oh but also, i think it's cool if someone like op wishes to call himself irish. why not?
    My cousins are actually Irish Jamaican, I kid you not. My aunt is from Jamaica and uncle is from here. My cousins were all born and raised here so they're Irish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

PK2008 wrote: »
    Look at your comment, now back to mine. Now back at your comment now back to mine. Sadly it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, writing the comment your comment could look like. What did you post? Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again the reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post

I know im late with this but you sir are a god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭gmac102

hahahaha i love americans so funny :)

ps also love how irish ppl are so patriotic :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I don't understand why so many Irish on this thread are having conniptions about people wishing to wear 'Irish' on their sleeve. ...........

Much of it is the usual post-colonial self loathing cockology.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭G.muny

For all those claiming to be Irish without google or urban dictionary
    Have you ever got the shift?
    Have you ever gotten your hole?
    Have you ever used "Whats the story with me and you" or "Will you meet my mate" as a legitmate chat up line?
    Have you ever been on the knack in the local wood in the pissings rain with just the heat of a fire made from someones old sofa (thats right sofa not coach) and stolen bins as a source of heat.
    Experienced a cheese and tayto sambo with tk lemonade?
    Been to a free gaff?
    Know what a free gaff is?

No to more than 2? You are not Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

G.muny wrote: »
    Have you ever used "Whats the story with me and you" or "Will you meet my mate" as a legitmate chat up line?
    Have you ever been on the knack in the local wood in the pissings rain with just the heat of a fire made from someones old sofa (thats right sofa not coach) and stolen bins as a source of heat.
    Been to a free gaff?

Who the funk in any nation burns an entire coach to keep warm while on the 'knack!?! :eek::eek::eek:

Ok, it might happen in some areas of the Irish capital but it would more than likely be a hijacked Dublin bus.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Who the funk in any nation burns an entire coach to keep warm while on the 'knack!?! :eek::eek::eek:

Ok, it might happen in some areas of the Irish capital but it would more than likely be a hijacked Dublin bus.
    Ive seen things, things that can not be unseen.

Its fun reading Irish people think.

For one, this thread is bloated, spewing, with Irish Patriotism. And there are plenty more where this came from. Do the Irish really not smell the stink of their own shyte? You're all as patriotic as anybody. 'What land is this? Ahrland!'

Secondly, this idea that Sean Hannity speaks for America and we all go to bed at night praying to baby Jesus and chanting about how we live in the 'greatest, free-est nation on Earth'. A load of crap, I assure you. Don't let punditry fool you into thinking that all Americans prescribe to a doctrine of Exceptionalism.

Finally, American culture is defined by it's roots. Since the War of Independence it's been what, only 230 years, 'ish? We don't have the same elongated history that Europe and Asia have. We might, if the natives weren't essentially the victims of genocide. Ah, but thats another story entirely - for the moment you can simply acknowledge that the vast majority of the population and culture originates from European ancestry.

I don't understand why so many Irish on this thread are having conniptions about people wishing to wear 'Irish' on their sleeve. It really shouldn't matter if they are 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 5th generation. Would you be happier if a tourist said they had "Irish Ancestry"? I for one have never heard anybody walk up to a Pat and say "My great^7 grandfather was Irish therefore I am Irish and we are family, brother." Maybe I was just hanging out in the wrong pubs.

Thats a good point. Some Irish people just don't get that.

• Advertisement

Alot of the people posting here remind me of that fat bitter whale who was telling Martin McGuinness he was not irish on the presidential debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

I have Norwegian and Scottish in my ancestry but i'm not norwegian or scottish, i was born in ireland, therefore Irish. You have irish ancestry but we're born in america therfore you're american not irish.
    unless at least one of your parents is irush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

G.muny wrote: »
    Been to a free gaff?

Does more than 2 make you Irish though?

Does more than 2 make you Irish though?
    5 or more makes you Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

What a stupid fcuking statement.

1-Americans of German heritage were persecuted during WW1 and WW2 and this effectively ended the German-American thing, many of them changed their names. They still make up 30% of the US population but most people aren't aware of it.

2-Scandinavians make up a tiny percentage of Americans outside of Minnesota, Chicago and Wisconsin. If you go to Milwaukee Swedish culture is far more widespread.

Seriously, you clearly don't have a clue.

Right I am from Chicago by birth. I have an Irish accent because my mom decided I would be better by being Irish and raised in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I am pretty sick of this. I am American by birth, and I get pretty frustrated when Irish people tell irish americans they ARE AMERICAN NOT IRISH. I would admit to my scandinavian heritage before my irish! Peace all!

Irish people are very insecure and have a massive inferiority complex towards the USA.

I have Norwegian and Scottish in my ancestry but i'm not norwegian or scottish, i was born in ireland, therefore Irish. You have irish ancestry but we're born in america therfore you're american not irish.
    unless at least one of your parents is irush

I admire your honesty man. I don't know why Irish are so annoyed about americans claiming they are irish due to their blood line!
    americans at least admire the irish the germans see nothing in the irish and dismiss them; yet the irish people think the americans are wrong. at least obama made a reception in ireland, does angala merkell make a similar reception?
    before you ask yes obama done it for irish american votes

I don't know why Irish are so annoyed about americans claiming they are irish due to their blood line!

Do they though? Do people out and about give you crap about being American.

In my experience Americans are liked here. AH certainly isn't somewhere you'd gauge the true opinion of the nation tho imo.

woodoo wrote: »
    Do they though? Do people out and about give you crap about being American.

In my experience Americans are liked here. AH certainly isn't somewhere you'd gauge the true opinion of the nation tho imo.

I'm just making a point. General people of a select group criticize Irish American's claiming they are Irish.
    I am simply putting it that you should all be proud that Americans of Irish descent are proud of being Irish!
    Do you think the continental Europeans are proud of the Irish? No!!! maybe it's tabloid trash, but a minister(German) said that Greece, Ireland and Spain should lower their flag at the European Parliament due to their financial crisis.
    Correct me if I'm wrong , but Americans would cringe at that suggestion!
    Next time people criticize Americans just think at how Europe views you as a nation. The United States at least always had a special bond with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

What's wrong about being an American can't you just be proud about where you were born and raised instead of claiming to be something your not?

• Advertisement
Advertisement