Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish people criticizing irish americans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

What's wrong about being an American can't you just be proud about where you were born and raised instead of claiming to be something your not?

That is a very good question.
    I am proud from time to time of various aspects of my family history.
    It does depend on the occasion and my emotion.
    And please you don't know me in person well enough to ask a question like that which is very personal to me! PM me if you have a serious question that is not meant in sarcasm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

woodoo wrote: »
    Do they though? Do people out and about give you crap about being American.

In my experience Americans are liked here. AH certainly isn't somewhere you'd gauge the true opinion of the nation tho imo.

In my limited experience as an American living in Ireland; I'll kind of agree with both of you....

The general impression I get is that people here don't really like the 'United States' or 'All American's as a whole. But, individually, nobody seems to have a problem with me simply because I am from the US.

Same thing with working in Ireland as a US citizen. I get the impression that a lot of Irish feel that there aren't enough jobs and that there should be stricter Pro-Irish hiring policies and Americans have no business working here. But, as an individual, nobody has given me crap about it directly.

Ironically, it's very similar to how people are in the US too about similar topics.

I am pretty sick of this. I am American by birth, and I get pretty frustrated when Irish people tell irish americans they ARE AMERICAN NOT IRISH. I would admit to my scandinavian heritage before my irish! Peace all!

It's funny because if an American in the US is successful at anything; and he has one great, great, great, great, great Grandparent that was born in Ireland, Irishmen will gladly explain to you how he is Irish and how almost all the great people in the US were/are Irish and how the Irish practically run the United States. And how the President of the US is Irish. Etc...etc...etc...

Robdude wrote: »
    It's funny because if an American in the US is successful at anything; and he has one great, great, great, great, great Grandparent that was born in Ireland, Irishmen will gladly explain to you how he is Irish and how almost all the great people in the US were/are Irish and how the Irish practically run the United States. And how the President of the US is Irish. Etc...etc...etc...

True but you notice since your family are American how many Americans watched the royal wedding? even those of 100 Irish descent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

i would have to agree. it is normally a select few who think its acceptable to openly criticise and make fun of americans in public. they're normally the people who say; ''sure the americans love the irish sure''. they're the typical hateful bunch of people who think being irish is somewhat derserving of a badge of honor

paky wrote: »
    i would have to agree. it is normally a select few who think its acceptable to openly criticise and make fun of americans in public. they're normally the people who say; ''sure the americans love the irish sure''. they're the typical hateful bunch of people who think being irish is somewhat derserving of a badge of honor

I agree and it actually makes me cringe to agree. I have a lot of family who praise their Irish ancestry and I feel a sick feeling to my stomach when they tell people in Ireland they are Irish via chat!
    I realize the criticism they will receive.
    I just wish Irish people would realize how German tourists view the Irish!
    The Germans think of Irish as sh*t; and Americans think of you like you are an aspiration!
    Trust me my mom is Irish and my dad pretty much mixed American.
    I wish Irish people would quit with the anti American Irish bull****! because believe it or not , the Americans promote you more than you promote yourselves!
    I'm really ashamed that so many people here have dismissed American Irish!
    Go to hell guys. See how Germans view you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Alot of the people posting here remind me of that fat bitter whale who was telling Martin McGuinness he was not irish on the presidential debate.

Marty's Irish all right - very embarrassing for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭G.muny

I agree and it actually makes me cringe to agree. I have a lot of family who praise their Irish ancestry and I feel a sick feeling to my stomach when they tell people in Ireland they are Irish via chat!
    The Germans think of Irish as sh*t; and Americans think of you like you are an aspiration!
    I wish Irish people would quit with the anti American Irish bull****! because believe it or not , the Americans promote you more than you promote yourselves!
    I have a half brother from Germany and have been on numerous occasions. Everyone there had nothing but good things to say about the Irish to me. Didn't seem to like the Brits very much though :confused:

yes the germans look down on us but the irish were part of the armies that kicked their asses in both world wars

• Advertisement

G.muny wrote: »
    I have a half brother from Germany and have been on numerous occasions. Everyone there had nothing but good things to say about the Irish to me. Didn't seem to like the Brits very much though :confused:

I acknowledge your post. But I know little enough to comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I would agree with people who say it's about where you grow up.

If you're born to Irish parents in America, lived in America till adulthood (or late teens etc. I suppose it could vary) I would consider you American. I mean you've grown up with American culture, society, schools, the lot. That's what kinda defines your nationality to me. The culture you're familar with.

On the other hand, if you're born to Irish parents, live there for a couple of years but spend most of your childhood - adulthood growing up with Irish society I'd imagine you'd associate yourself as being Irish. Despite being born in America, it's not really your home as you've grown up with Irish culture/society.

Also, the thread instantly made me think of this:

Go to 3.05 for Irish reference, but the whole thing is funny

paky wrote: »
    yes the germans look down on us but the irish were part of the armies that kicked their asses in both world wars

That's pretty much a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭G.muny

I acknowledge your post. But I know little enough to comment.
    Well you already said Germans don't think much of the Irish yet as an Irish citizen who has been there 6 times I have NEVER experienced this even in the slightest. Only discrimination I did find there was people getting pissy with me when they thought I was British and when I said "actually I am Irish" they apoligised not that I thought much of them afterwards anyway. But if you don't know anything about it why say Germans don't like the Irish in the first place?

That's pretty much a joke!

how is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Overheal wrote: »
    Its fun reading Irish people think.

For one, this thread is bloated, spewing, with Irish Patriotism. And there are plenty more where this came from. Do the Irish really not smell the stink of their own shyte? You're all as patriotic as anybody. 'What land is this? Ahrland!'

Secondly, this idea that Sean Hannity speaks for America and we all go to bed at night praying to baby Jesus and chanting about how we live in the 'greatest, free-est nation on Earth'. A load of crap, I assure you. Don't let punditry fool you into thinking that all Americans prescribe to a doctrine of Exceptionalism.

Finally, American culture is defined by it's roots. Since the War of Independence it's been what, only 230 years, 'ish? We don't have the same elongated history that Europe and Asia have. We might, if the natives weren't essentially the victims of genocide. Ah, but thats another story entirely - for the moment you can simply acknowledge that the vast majority of the population and culture originates from European ancestry.

I don't understand why so many Irish on this thread are having conniptions about people wishing to wear 'Irish' on their sleeve. It really shouldn't matter if they are 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 5th generation. Would you be happier if a tourist said they had "Irish Ancestry"? I for one have never heard anybody walk up to a Pat and say "My great^7 grandfather was Irish therefore I am Irish and we are family, brother." Maybe I was just hanging out in the wrong pubs.

You've never heard that because you're American.
    A few years in Carlow does not qualify you for Irish citizenship. It only qualifies you for sheep-shagger status. Carlow people like to **** sheep.

Sean Hannity is a complete and utter cúnt, and I hope he dies a slow and horrible death while sucking on Bill O'Reilly's cock, which is syphilis riddled.

Sorry. Didn't read the whole thread. It's late and I'm tired.

In short, Americans who claim to be part Irish because their great grandfather stuck his cock in the Blarney stone are idiots.

You're American. Be all that you can be. Uncle Sam needs you.
    You're not Irish. We will never accept you as Irish, mostly because you insist on being American. Choose one nationality and stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Irish people are very insecure and have a massive inferiority complex towards the USA.

I think it's more like not wanting to be associated with a large percentage of idiots that exist in the US.

I think it's more like not wanting to be associated with a large percentage of idiots that exist in the US.

I don't believe that for a second.

Nobody associates Ireland with the United States. And, if anyone did, it would be because of Ireland's policies at a national level.

When I see people make threads on boards.ie that talk about what the US didn't invent or why the US isn't so great - it's not because they fear being associated with Ireland if they don't.

I don't ever feel the need to say, 'China isn't so great!' because I don't want to be associated with a large percentage of idiots that exist in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Terry wrote: »
    A few years in Carlow does not qualify you for Irish citizenship. It only qualifies you for sheep-shagger status. Carlow people like to **** sheep.

Sean Hannity is a complete and utter cúnt, and I hope he dies a slow and horrible death while sucking on Bill O'Reilly's cock, which is syphilis riddled.

In short, Americans who claim to be part Irish because their great grandfather stuck his cock in the Blarney stone are idiots.

You're not Irish. We will never accept you as Irish, mostly because you insist on being American. Choose one nationality and stick with it.

Who is we? Do you speak for all of us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I am simply putting it that you should all be proud that Americans of Irish descent are proud of being Irish!

Proud of it? No, not really. I'm glad they place some value on their extraction, that can only be a good thing.
    The United States at least always had a special bond with Ireland.

As peoples perhaps, but let's not overstate it.

At executive level, the 'special bond' is somewhat of a delusion on our part (ditto Blighty). Were we to cease 'playing ball' with the U.S., no amount of JFK's, John Hustons, Tip O'Neills or Henry Fords would matter a jot.

Terry wrote: »

Do you really think anyone wants to be irish?
    I am not attacking you personally but you should respect people.
    You should appreciate americans who want to be Irish. I have heard so much criticism from european people and american people about irish people and like an earthquake it burst when i created this post! I stuck up for the irish people but when people like you post things like that it dampens my spirits!
    And by the way, being Irish means nothing! Really it doesn't!
    Look at German Americans who never boast about their ancestry! Yet the Germans saw the Irish budget before the Irish did! That would humiliate anybody!!
    Germans look down on the Irish!!
    Get your priorities straight. If an American of Irish blood is proud of being Irish let them be. Take it as a compliment!! because Europeans look down on irish as being "the knackers" of Europe!
    even less beings than the brit chavs!
    And yes even you from a higher socio economic background are tarred with the same brush...
    You should be proud american irish associate themselves with being Irish

• Advertisement

Proud of it? No, not really. I'm glad they place some value on their extraction, that can only be a good thing.

As peoples perhaps, but let's not overstate it.

Are you proud the Germans pretty much dictate you're budget???
    Your ancestors got independence for nothing!! Have you any pride?

I don't think so!! Either you have a voice, physical strenght(outdated) or a brain!.
    Internet forums mean nothing but voicing opinion

You should appreciate americans who want to be Irish. I have heard so much criticism from european people and american people about irish people and like an earthquake it burst when i created this post! I stuck up for the irish people but when people like you post things like that it dampens my spirits!
    Look at German Americans who never boast about their ancestry! Yet the Germans saw the Irish budget before the Irish did! That would humiliate anybody!!
    Get your priorities straight. If an American of Irish blood is proud of being Irish let them be. Take it as a compliment!! because Europeans look down on irish as being "the knackers" of Europe!
    And yes even you from a higher socio economic background are tarred with the same brush...

You're beginning to talk out your arse now i'm afraid. You are in no position to say what an entire continent think of us.

If you're 14 and texting this from a roller-disco, the above is somewhat understandable.

If not, sweet Jebus.

You're beginning to talk out your arse now i'm afraid. You are in no position to say what an entire continent think of us.

Can you justify why?
    The Irish relied on German savings. Look what the Irish did to their economy? The Irish have made an ass out of themselves! Lower class groups in Irish society had no control but the upper class showed they were ugly greedy pieces of sh*t

If you're 14 and texting this from a roller-disco, the above is somewhat understandable.

If not, sweet Jebus.

Don't get personal. Just reply to the subject at hand please!
    No offence but your type of replies pretty much turn my stomach. If you don't have an opinion don't reply! enjoy your roller discos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Don't get personal. Just reply to the subject at hand please!
    No offence but your type of replies pretty much turn my stomach. If you don't have an opinion don't reply! enjoy your roller discos!
    Sweet Allahl!

Sweet Allahl!

thanks duck it was great ;|)

Don't get personal. Just reply to the subject at hand please! No offence but your type of replies pretty much turn my stomach.

Report my post if you've a problem. Also, the 'subject at hand' has been more than somewhat sidelined by your disparate argument.

You're currently in the act of derailing your own thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I am American

You are american

al28283 wrote: »
    I am American

You are american
    Yes and what are you?

• Advertisement

al28283 wrote: »
    I am American

You are american
    Yes and what are you?

Don't get personal. Just reply to the subject at hand please! No offence but your type of replies pretty much turn my stomach.

Report my post if you've a problem. Also, the 'subject at hand' has been more than somewhat sidelined by your disparate argument.

You're currently in the act of derailing your own thread.
    Please elaborate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Pred192

I find a lot of these comments to be quite racists against Americans.

You cannot really classify Americans as just "Americans" because most of them have all sorts of ancestry. It's not like Ireland where the generations go back years and years. America is still a new enough country and people forget that. There is a huge influx of different cultures in America.

A brief example is my ancestry. I am born in America to an American mother and Belgian father. I have both passports. If you go down my family tree on my father's side its mostly Belgian. But on my mothers side it changes into Irish, English, Russian and Chinese. (only going back to my great grandparents).

I have been living in Ireland for almost 10 years. My American mother has both Irish and American citizenship.

I would normally classify myself as American but I have lost most of my American accent so sometimes when I am not bothered explaining things I say I'm Irish. Am I wrong? I went to primary school secondary and now college here.

I find there is a lot of racism towards Americans. Me and my brother were kicked out of Smyths when we first moved here. We walked through the front door and the bouncer said "sorry no yanks allowed". I was bullied in school for being a yank and people crowded around me asking me so pronounce certain words because of my accent. Do you guys think this is fair? A lot of your comments in this thread are showing prime examples of this kind of nonsense.

I don't see why there is so much hate against Americans since they are the ones who helped during the famine. They accepted the Irish into the country. They are the ones who are providing a great amount of jobs in Ireland including Intel, Google, Accenture, Ebay and Microsoft (I probably left out a few others)

So if someone is born in the states to Irish family and has lived in Ireland for a great portion of there lives how are they not Irish-American?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

If you were born somewhere and grew up somewhere else you are from both places if you feel that way I can't understand why or how someone would try and tell you where you're from I think you know that better than anyone else.

Although I don't get people using their distant heritage as part of their identity, seems to be an American thing, I have welsh ancestors but I am in no way welsh and I am certainly not going over to reconnect with my roots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

G.muny wrote: »
    5 or more makes you Irish.
    Irish Passport Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I didnt realise I was having an argument , I was offering an opinion.I dont know why it would be such a bad thing to be a Canadian.My Dad like a lot of people speaks very little Irish does this make him less Irish? Suggesting that people born in England are English does not seem stupid to me.

He doesn't hate being Canadian he just doesn't feel it why would he he's never lived there for him to feel like its his home?

I'm not trying to start an argument and yes I respect your opinion but I don't understand how defining your nationality to a country you've never lived in or any connections to. He doesn't know any other Canadians at all ever since he was the only one I think born there.

I mean why should the moment you exit your mothers womb dictate your nationality and not the other 80+ years you live. For me to define it like that is crazy and far too simplistic. Just my opinion though.

Pred192 wrote: »
    I find a lot of these comments to be quite racists against Americans.

You cannot really classify Americans as just "Americans" because most of them have all sorts of ancestry. It's not like Ireland where the generations go back years and years. America is still a new enough country and people forget that. There is a huge influx of different cultures in America.

A brief example is my ancestry. I am born in America to an American mother and Belgian father. I have both passports. If you go down my family tree on my father's side its mostly Belgian. But on my mothers side it changes into Irish, English, Russian and Chinese. (only going back to my great grandparents).

I have been living in Ireland for almost 10 years. My American mother has both Irish and American citizenship.

I would normally classify myself as American but I have lost most of my American accent so sometimes when I am not bothered explaining things I say I'm Irish. Am I wrong? I went to primary school secondary and now college here.

I find there is a lot of racism towards Americans. Me and my brother were kicked out of Smyths when we first moved here. We walked through the front door and the bouncer said "sorry no yanks allowed". I was bullied in school for being a yank and people crowded around me asking me so pronounce certain words because of my accent. Do you guys think this is fair? A lot of your comments in this thread are showing prime examples of this kind of nonsense.

I don't see why there is so much hate against Americans since they are the ones who helped during the famine. They accepted the Irish into the country. They are the ones who are providing a great amount of jobs in Ireland including Intel, Google, Accenture, Ebay and Microsoft (I probably left out a few others)

So if someone is born in the states to Irish family and has lived in Ireland for a great portion of there lives how are they not Irish-American?

I don't know other than we have alot of ignorant gulpins in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭armaghbhoy

Because America is the only place in the world where people feel a need to ''claim'' anything. If they don't then they are stuck with the black and white skin colour argument which no one else in the world could also give a toss about. Explain enough? Yet, these are the same people that think they own the world but know nothing about it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

armaghbhoy wrote: »
    Because America is the only place in the world where people feel a need to ''claim'' anything. If they don't then they are stuck with the black and white skin colour argument which no one else in the world could also give a toss about. Explain enough? Yet, these are the same people that think they own the world but know nothing about it. :D

Why do people always make it out that Americas full of race problems? It's got one of the highest interracial marriage rates in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I've no problem if they want to call themselves Irish-American, it's when they refer to themselves as Irish that it bothers me a little bit, due to the fact that it's simply not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I am pretty sick of this. I am American by birth, and I get pretty frustrated when Irish people tell irish americans they ARE AMERICAN NOT IRISH. I would admit to my scandinavian heritage before my irish! Peace all!

you cant be both so you are not irish
    slán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭armaghbhoy

If you look up how the Irish in America became ''white'' you will find that they more less switched sides with the majority of Ireland having an actual petition against what they were doing if I recall correctly. So would that not explain where the Irishness went? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Gnobe wrote: »
    He doesn't hate being Canadian he just doesn't feel it why would he he's never lived there for him to feel like its his home?

I'm not trying to start an argument and yes I respect your opinion but I don't understand how defining your nationality to a country you've never lived in or any connections to. He doesn't know any other Canadians at all ever since he was the only one I think born there.

I mean why should the moment you exit your mothers womb dictate your nationality and not the other 80+ years you live. For me to define it like that is crazy and far too simplistic. Just my opinion though.

I think you are probably right my view was to simplistic judging by the depth of peoples feelings expressed here . Nothing is ever that black and white .My sister for instance was four when we moved to Ireland(I was eight) and she considers herself Irish , I wouldnt say to her no your not as I know this would upset her . I should have shown the same consideration to others. Apologies if Ive caused offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Standman wrote: »
    I've no problem if they want to call themselves Irish-American, it's when they refer to themselves as Irish that it bothers me a little bit, due to the fact that it's simply not true.
    But what is 'true'?

Is someone who was born and raised in Ireland, but moved to another country at some stage, Irish?
    Is someone who was born in Ireland, but moved to another country at a young age and has Irish parents, Irish?
    Is someone who has never lived in Ireland, but who has Irish parents, Irish?
    Is someone who has never lived in Ireland, but who has Irish grandparents, Irish?
    Is someone who has never lived in Ireland, but who has one Irish grandparent, Irish?

etc etc...

And most of all, why would anyone with Irish 'heritage' calling themselves Irish 'bother' anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Gnobe wrote: »
    Why do people always make it out that Americas full of race problems? It's got one of the highest interracial marriage rates in the world.

Would that be because it has the 3rd highest population rate in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Now an irish/jamacian id lke to see!!!
    I know one. Most f3cked up accent you'll ever hear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I wouldn't want to upset any one so in future I will not mention or will outright deny any Irish heritage I ever claimed. It didn't really come up that much in everyday conversation as it was.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Depending on the generation, if they can't quote Father Ted, then no!

The yank that tried to take 'The Bull' Mccabe's field didn't help matters

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

It seems Americans can't win either way here. I was born in Dublin and spent my whole life here in Ireland. But my mother is American (although maiden name is Murphy) and so I hold American citizenship which allows me to visit regularly. But I still get a lot of the "sure you're not Irish at all you yank"...usually just a bit of fun.

The worrying thing was that when I finished college, I started applying for jobs around May. Taking one of my lecturer's advice, that in case a company wanted to send me somewhere with minimal hassle, I included that I hold American citizenship on my C.V. After months of hearing nothing but pfos back from places that I had applied for, I asked one of the college careers advisors to have a look at my C.V. They told me to exclude that I am an American citizen because it leaves me open to discrimination. I followed the advice and now I'm being asked for interviews all over the place.
    Coincidence? I'd like to think so. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement