Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish people criticizing irish americans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

G.muny wrote: »
    For all those claiming to be Irish without google or urban dictionary
    Have you ever got the shift?
    Have you ever gotten your hole?
    Have you ever used "Whats the story with me and you" or "Will you meet my mate" as a legitmate chat up line?
    Have you ever been on the knack in the local wood in the pissings rain with just the heat of a fire made from someones old sofa (thats right sofa not coach) and stolen bins as a source of heat.
    Experienced a cheese and tayto sambo with tk lemonade?
    Been to a free gaff?
    Know what a free gaff is?

No to more than 2? You are not Irish.
    Some of us come from outside the Pale...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Chett wrote: »
    It seems Americans can't win either way here.

Actually you can't win either way, because again depending on generation, its PC gone wild some times. Lots of Americans had it drummed in their heads that they are not really American, the Native Americans (or just plain old Indians depending on the tribe) are the REAL Americans. Then of course the new thing is you have some nut-bags going on about what a REAL American should be. It's all enough to do one's head in:rolleyes:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

I am pretty sick of this. I am American by birth, and I get pretty frustrated when Irish people tell irish americans they ARE AMERICAN NOT IRISH. I would admit to my scandinavian heritage before my irish! Peace all!

I agree, a lot of ignorant people out there. People aren't saying they're nationality is Irish. They're saying their heritage is Irish in that that's where their family hails from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Well i dont see why its great to have irish blood. I dont see anything in the irish gene pool to be proud of other than they work well.

Then why are you getting so worked up by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I am pretty sick of this. I am American by birth, and I get pretty frustrated when Irish people tell irish americans they ARE AMERICAN NOT IRISH. I would admit to my scandinavian heritage before my irish! Peace all!

I agree with this. Just because you were born and raised in another country doesn't mean you're not irish. You know ireland just aswel as anyone who was born and bred here.

It's the same with me, my old man is from Monaghan but although I was born elsewhere and have lived nowhere near monaghan, and infact cannot even find my way around the place let alone want to, that doesn't mean I'm not as monaghan as anyone else who lives there.

PS you ever hear of monaghan Paddy O'Garnigle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Maybe if some of the Irish Americans on the internet stopped squawking about the Irish being the most oppressed race ever whilst using racist language to describe black people then people wouldn't think all Irish Americans were ****?

Each case is different. If we get past legal meanings, which is needed in my opinion, it gets fairly subjective but here's what I think.

Somebody born and raised in England by Irish parents but comes back to Ireland permanently before being an adult can call themselves Irish if they wish.

My cousins were born and raised in England by Irish parents and are still there. Only ever visited Ireland so they and everyone else considers them to be English.

An American who has never been to Ireland is American.

Someone born and raised in America to Irish parents but returns here permanently before being an adult can call themselves Irish if they wish.

Someone born with Irish heritage in America is always American unless they move here permanently at a very young age.

A child born here to Nigerian parents is Irish if he is raised here.

A child born here to Nigerian parents is Nigerian if they return to Nigeria.

I'm sure I've contradicted myself throughout that but it's the best I could do to get it down on paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

not a bad fail op, not bad at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Somebody born and raised in England by Irish parents but comes back to Ireland permanently before being an adult can call themselves Irish if they wish.

Well I moved back to Ireland when I was 14 but still speak with an English accent so obviously everyone refers to me as English (that's fine I don't care).

But I've been living here since december 2000 and so by 2015 I would have lived in Ireland for most of my life, only 3/4 years away. Now I don't feel particularly very English and never have done but have struggled to be accepted to be Irish also obviously (and obviously don't always feel that Irish either a lot of the time).

See when I was growing up in England people never considered me English, because I had irish parents people always considered me Irish. I wore Ireland tops and supported Ireland (over England) but everyone thought that was correct. No one ever said to me 'hang on, you're born in England, doesn't that make you English?'. Not one person.

I even had one friends father refusing to let me into his house because I wore and Republic jersey (just after England had rioted in 1995, he was a former para in Northern Ireland) and I should go "back to Ireland where I belong".

Obviously when I come over here I was an orange c*nt, protestant b*stard, can't walk into certain areas here in the north because of my accent. I got used to all that.

My English friend was over here during the 2006 world cup, staying in our house here in Omagh, big England fan, but doesn't necessarily see me as English. When England were playing he demanded we put it on and but only assumed it was for himself and not me and my brother who were "Irish" in his eyes. When he was over here he used to say "where's you're irish accent, come on you're an Irishman!". He's not being rude about it, he just doesn't see me as a true Englishman.

So it's like living a double life, English in Ireland, and Irish back with my friends in Ipswich (where I lived). When I moved I was said to be going "back home" by most of the Ipswich folk. And now here "back home" is now suddenly Ipswich, the place where I was a foreigner.

I don't intend ever on living in England again, I've had my time there (since I was a "foreigner"), very young when I left, if I emigrate it'll will be to Canada or Australia.

I lived all in my adult life in Ireland, my first girlfriend from here, had my first drink here. But when there's patriotic feeling around the world, I do sometimes feel left out. Because I don't feel like I have a country. Not English enough for the "ENGERLAND ENGERLAND ENGERLAND" "WHERES YOUR POPPY?!?!" "ENGLAND ARE GONNA WIN IT!!" BS that seems circulate every 2 years with England in football. Can't stand it infact. But not Irish enough (or at all) to join in with the jolly craicsters abroad when Ireland play.

I think I'll be supporting Germany for the Euros.

Demonique wrote: »
    Maybe if some of the Irish Americans on the internet stopped squawking about the Irish being the most oppressed race ever whilst using racist language to describe black people then people wouldn't think all Irish Americans were ****?

We're far more racist than Americans. Get a grip of yourself, we have to be the most racist little country on the planet! I've never heard the 'N' word being spoken in the US yet hear it all the time in Dublin!

• Advertisement

Gnobe wrote: »
    Well I moved back to Ireland when I was 14 but still speak with an English accent so obviously everyone refers to me as English (that's fine I don't care).

But I've been living here since december 2000 and so by 2015 I would have lived in Ireland for most of my life, only 3/4 years away. Now I don't feel particularly very English and never have done but have struggled to be accepted to be Irish also obviously (and obviously don't always feel that Irish either a lot of the time).

See when I was growing up in England people never considered me English, because I had irish parents people always considered me Irish. I wore Ireland tops and supported Ireland (over England) but everyone thought that was correct. No one ever said to me 'hang on, you're born in England, doesn't that make you English?'. Not one person.

I even had one friends father refusing to let me into his house because I wore and Republic jersey (just after England had rioted in 1995, he was a former para in Northern Ireland) and I should go "back to Ireland where I belong".

Obviously when I come over here I was an orange c*nt, protestant b*stard, can't walk into certain areas here in the north because of my accent. I got used to all that.

My English friend was over here during the 2006 world cup, staying in our house here in Omagh, big England fan, but doesn't necessarily see me as English. When England were playing he demanded we put it on and but only assumed it was for himself and not me and my brother who were "Irish" in his eyes. When he was over here he used to say "where's you're irish accent, come on you're an Irishman!". He's not being rude about it, he just doesn't see me as a true Englishman.

So it's like living a double life, English in Ireland, and Irish back with my friends in Ipswich (where I lived). When I moved I was said to be going "back home" by most of the Ipswich folk. And now here "back home" is now suddenly Ipswich, the place where I was a foreigner.

I don't intend ever on living in England again, I've had my time there (since I was a "foreigner"), very young when I left, if I emigrate it'll will be to Canada or Australia.

I lived all in my adult life in Ireland, my first girlfriend from here, had my first drink here. But when there's patriotic feeling around the world, I do sometimes feel left out. Because I don't feel like I have a country. Not English enough for the "ENGERLAND ENGERLAND ENGERLAND" "WHERES YOUR POPPY?!?!" "ENGLAND ARE GONNA WIN IT!!" BS that seems circulate every 2 years with England in football. Can't stand it infact. But not Irish enough (or at all) to join in with the jolly craicsters abroad when Ireland play.

I think I'll be supporting Germany for the Euros.

I sympathise with you, maybe that's just a thing in the North or something, not sure you would have it so bad in places like Dublin. I know a fella from Luxembourg who goes to every Ireland game because his parents are Irish and he's totally accepted.

If I met you in a bar and you said you were Irish I'd just accept it because the Irish nation doesn't just end on the island. Some people are open to the idea of the Diaspora and some are just ignorant to it all. The book 'Choosing the Green' is a great book. If people read that maybe they wouldn't be so ignorant to folk like you. The GPO was full of people like you with England and Scottish accents ringing around the GPO with people with the same story as you willing to die for Ireland, while folk with Irish accents cursed them as they sat safely in their homes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We're far more racist than Americans. Get a grip of yourself, we have to be the most racist little country on the planet! I've never heard the 'N' word being spoken in the US yet hear it all the time in Dublin!
    Have you actually listened to 3 or more African-Americans have a conversation with eachother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

KerranJast wrote: »
    Ow my brain. If you're not an Irish citizen you're not Irish. Pretty simple.

Not true. I'm not an Irish citizen, but am Irish.

I don`t know about racist but we`re definitely more self hating:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

It's a classic case of "Jesus was born is a stable but that doesnt make him a horse"

When Irish Americans say that they are Irish they are generally saying it as shorthand for Irish American.

I have no problem with second or third or whatever generation Irish people saying that they are Irish, and it irks my a little when people born in Ireland get snooty about it as well. Its usually people that have never lived outside of Ireland as well, so they dont really get why people speaking with an American, English, Aussie etc accent would claim to be Irish when their initial reaction was that they werent.

A smigde more open mindedness wouldnt go a miss I guess.

:)

Overheal wrote: »
    Have you actually listened to 3 or more African-Americans have a conversation with eachother?

I have, I've been to the US a good few times. There's a context issue here as well you know but they don't all talk like they're from the ghetto either, you watch too much TV.
    don`t know about racist but we`re definitely more self hating

I love my country but I know our faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I have a colleague who was born in America to an American mother and Irish father. She lived in the States until she was 20 years old and has a thick American accent.

She calls herself Irish, never American. This only bothers me because she's a twat and we are overseas in a small Asian town, thus she is many people's first impression of an "Irish" person. Did I mention she's a twat? Gah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Susie_Q wrote: »
    I have a colleague who was born in America to an American mother and Irish father. She lived in the States until she was 20 years old and has a thick American accent.

She calls herself Irish, never American. This only bothers me because she's a twat and we are overseas in a small Asian town, thus she is many people's first impression of an "Irish" person. Did I mention she's a twat? Gah!

America is considered the melting pot of the world because different ethnic groups from all over the world have moved there over the years and created a very diverse population. People relate to their ancestry as their ethnicity there. My cousin over there was born in America, so was his father but his grandfather was Italian. So he is identified as Italian. Nobody think's he is actually Italian, that is just his heritage and genetic make up.

I was born in America but lived here my whole life. If I tell somebody I'm American they ask when I moved here, when I say it was when I was a baby. I get a huff because I'm not American if I lived here my whole life. Yet if I say I'm Irish to people and they hear a twang in my accent (due to my mothers heavy accent growing up) I get **** about being American and not Irish.

Last point. The Irish gladly claimed Obama as Irish on a world stage...hypocrites...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Last point. The Irish gladly claimed Obama as Irish on a world stage...hypocrites...

Very true.

The anti-diaspora brigade on this thread should inform Eamonn Gilmore that, in their small minds, people of Irish heritage can no longer call themselves "Irish". Look what he's doing.

• Advertisement

Very true.

The anti-diaspora brigade on this thread should inform Eamonn Gilmore that, in their small minds, people of Irish heritage can no longer call themselves "Irish". Look what he's doing.

Holy Sh!t, that is awful. It's bad enough that the hospitality sector in this country gets away with gouging tourists but now our own governments are charging 40 euro for a piece of paper that means nothing. What an A-hole.

Very true.

Well thanks for that!, Seeing that has ruined my day. I had American relative over for 2 weeks for my brother wedding. And the amount of gouging here was a bit embarrassing for me. Charging f'kin 15 euro a head to see The cliffs of Moher..just to get in, not for a bus or anything, no tour. It's a f'kin natural site not man made. Then it's 2 euros to go up O'Briens tower and a fortune for any souvenir. I was a bit pissed at how much the Grand Canyon tour cost me but at least I had a tour guide, long ass bus trip, entry and lunch included and that was being charged by Native Americans for the most part.

The Blarney Stone is a rock you hang upside down to kiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Very true.

The anti-diaspora brigade on this thread should inform Eamonn Gilmore that, in their small minds, people of Irish heritage can no longer call themselves "Irish".

But they aren't Irish! Obviously someone born outside the island who then comes to live there can consider themselves Irish if they want. But several generations down, they aren't Irish. They are, however, of Irish heritage. And no-one is denying that.

Richard wrote: »
    But they aren't Irish! Obviously someone born outside the island who then comes to live there can consider themselves Irish if they want. But several generations down, they aren't Irish. They are, however, of Irish heritage. And no-one is denying that.

That's what they mean when they say it though...

When we say crisp..they say chip
    when we say fag...they say loosey
    etc. It's just a difference in lingo...no big deal. When I heard my english cousin say pull 17 years ago I had no idea what the hell he was talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DeaKat

RMD wrote: »
    I want you to go to the location where you store your passport. Now I want you to take it out and view it, what is it? It's an American passport. Is it an Irish passport? No, it's an American passport. You're an American with Irish ancestry, that is all.

I have no problem with Americans acknowledging their Irish heritage, but the Americans who insist they're Irish and pretend they know Irish culture or Ireland itself, well that gets pretty bloody irritating quickly.

?? I was born in America. My passport (one of them) is Irish. You don't have to have been born in Ireland to be Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I live and work in Dublin - does that make me Irish?

• Advertisement

Well thanks for that!, Seeing that has ruined my day. I had American relative over for 2 weeks for my brother wedding. And the amount of gouging here was a bit embarrassing for me. Charging f'kin 15 euro a head to see The cliffs of Moher

That is nothing short of a disgrace and sums up our rip up country to a tee. I love Ireland but certain aspects of it I fecking hate. €15 to see a natural cliff. Mother of f**king God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

That is nothing short of a disgrace and sums up our rip up country to a tee. I love Ireland but certain aspects of it I fecking hate. €15 to see a natural cliff. Mother of f**king God!
    To be fair, it's €15 to look at the cliffs, the sea and the sky! A bargin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

foxinsox wrote: »
    If you were born in Ireland you are Irish!

If you were born in USA you are American!

If you were born in Nigeria you are Nigerian!

If I was to go by the American/Irish theory then I'm most likely Irish/Scottish/English/Viking.. or to go back even further surely I'm Irish/African because I remember seeing something about where the "original" people came from and it seems that they tracked/walked up from what we now know as Africa, before the continents separated.

:)

I was born in England to Irish parents and moved back to Ireland when I was 3 and have been raised here since and I would never self identify as anything else other than 100% irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

That's what they mean when they say it though...

when we say fag...they say loosey

You learn something new everyday. Er.. what part of the US do they say that? I guess it doesn't help that I have not smoked in yonks either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

woodoo wrote: »
    I happy to hear Americans identify themselves with their Irish roots.

I can't understand people who would object to it.

Well if you're born in America then you're american.
    If you're born in Ireland then you're Irish.

If your parents were born in Ireland but you were born in America then your parents are Irish and you are American.

You are not an Irish-American. I find this to be stupid. Not your post but how people perceive themselves to be of 2 nationalities.

Let's put it this way. We all stem back from black people.
    (EG) The first & oldest human to be ever found was found in Africa so all white people today stem from black people of the african continent if you follow the gene pool.

Does that make me African-Irish or does that make you African-Irish-American
    I think this is all pure dribble tbh IMHO.

I'm sorry that you are not happy about being American and have to add the Irish-American into it but that's just life. It's where you were born is what your nationality is and that's it. End of.

• Advertisement

yupyup7up wrote: »
    I was born in England to Irish parents and moved back to Ireland when I was 3 and have been raised here since and I would never self identify as anything else other than 100% irish.

you are english, your parents are Irish.

/Sorry dude

actually would love to see your birth cert....but I already know what it says on it if you were born in England - lol

DeaKat wrote: »
    ?? I was born in America. My passport (one of them) is Irish. You don't have to have been born in Ireland to be Irish.

first of all you do have to be born in Ireland to be Irish.
    Second of all, not interested in your passport,

can you whip out your birth cert please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Stiffler2 wrote: »

If your parents were born in Ireland but you were born in America then your parents are Irish and you are American.

You are not an Irish-American. I find this to be stupid. Not your post but how people perceive themselves to be of 2 nationalities.

(EG) The first & oldest human to be ever found was found in Africa so all white people today stem from black people of the african continent if you follow the gene pool.

I'm sorry that you are not happy about being American and have to add the Irish-American into it but that's just life. It's where you were born is what your nationality is and that's it. End of.

What if my parents were both born in the United States - but my Father was in the military and I was born at a hospital in Japan? What am I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This still farting around? Theres more to one's heritage than one's passport.

Wrong. I am Irish. I was born in America to an Irish mother and an American father. I have Irish and American citizenship, but only lived a few years in America as a child. I was raised all around Europe and have lived in Ireland for 18 years. I have never been back to America (bar once for a wedding- I found it entirely culturally alien- though very nice), my entire family live here, I went to university here... etc etc. I hate having to justify my own identity to others- but have pretty much gotten used to it. Where you are born is no longer necessarily the only signifier of your identity. What if I was born on a plane? Or on a ship? This is a subject that comes up all the time for me- apparently I will always be called a 'yank'- at least until I lose my American accent (which I retained for reasons to long to explain). Identity and what constitutes it is a complex issue.

first of all you do have to be born in Ireland to be Irish.
    Second of all, not interested in your passport,

can you whip out your birth cert please.

According to whom? You? Or the law? YOU are incorrect. You absolutely can be born abroad and be Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

you are english, your parents are Irish.

/Sorry dude

actually would love to see your birth cert....but I already know what it says on it if you were born in England - lol

So what happens if you were born on holiday? Or born while on a plane prematurely?

Cybercubed wrote: »
    So what happens if you were born on holiday? Or born while on a plane prematurely?

Depends whether you are flying with British Airways or American Airlines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I remember when I lived in America people used come up to me all the time and tell me that their parents were Irish. To which I'd adopt an ecstatic tone and breathlessly inform them that "Oh my God, so are Mine!!!!".

Cue confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Einhard wrote: »
    I remember when I lived in America people used come up to me all the time and tell me that their parents were Irish. To which I'd adopt an ecstatic tone and breathlessly inform them that "Oh my God, so are Mine!!!!".

Cue confusion.

I do the same all the time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Cybercubed wrote: »

You grow up to be either a travel agent or a pilot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

women are bitches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Fergality

I don't mind people identifying with their heritage, but Christ are all these Americanisms annoying.

'African-American' - a black person won't get offended if you say they're black.
    'Irish-American' - What the ****? You're American, with Irish roots. No other nationality in the world tried to dilute their identity. What is it with Americans and their social insecurities?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Dermighty wrote: »
    women are bitches

But are they Irish bitches if they were born in America is the question, Dermighty.

ok, my mistake. I thought this was a place for intelligent discussion. I'm off so.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

I think op got bored of mindless arguements on youtube and decided to take it up elsewhere,knowing someone would take the bait.

:rolleyes: /this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

Fergality wrote: »
    I don't mind people identifying with their heritage, but Christ are all these Americanisms annoying.

'Irish-American' - What the ****? You're American, with Irish roots. No other nationality in the world tried to dilute their identity. What is it with Americans and their social insecurities?

I'm Irish with American roots which makes me Irish-American.

Robdude wrote: »
    What if my parents were both born in the United States - but my Father was in the military and I was born at a hospital in Japan? What am I?

then you are japanese

You grow up to be either a travel agent or a pilot.

Then where ever you were born on holiday will be your nationaility.
    If you were born on a plane then you were born in International Waters.

this has to be one of the most ridiculous threads I've seen here in a while

while = 2 days

If you're not proud of where you're from and tell people otherwise then you are nothing more than a Liar - not you specifically, just anyone that is deluded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

then you are japanese

Really? Seriously?

How can one be Japanese in this circumstance? When I was in secondary school, there was a girl in my class whose Irish parents worked with a medical charity and she was born on vanuatu in the pacific. She was there until her mum was medically fit to fly and then came home. is she from Vanuatu?

Advertisement