Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caring for a bike during the winter?

• 19-11-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Right we are pretty much into the cold sucky wet winter and my bike is exposed to the elements....this is my first winter!!

What do i need to be doing to protect it from the elements?

Note that i ride every day so don't want to cover it up every time i get home and uncover it every morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Just keep that chain well oiled, light housing clean, keep a torch with you if something goes wrong in the dark. Works for me after 107,000 miles in 8 years of commuting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

If you don't have a garage, you should cover it every night. I know it's a pain in the ass, but it's worth it. Give it a clean once a week if possible, spray your electrics with WD-40 to keep them protected too. Keep the chain lubed and tyre pressures right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You could use a Motodome. If you leave your bike outside all winter it will be in shíte come spring, even if you ride it every day.
    You can use ACF50 on your wheels and engine cases to stop them being eaten by road salt.
    Silicone grease all the electric connectors inside and out.
    Spray some electrical sealant over the cables and HT leads.
    Use a cable oiler on all the cables with some cable lube to stop them seizing.
    Fit a Tutoro oiler with some ATF fluid in it to keep your C+S looking good.
    Wash the bike regularly to make sure road crap doesn't sit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Note that i ride every day so don't want to cover it up every time i get home and uncover it every morning.

I dont have a garage and ride the bike every day mon to fri throughout the year. I dont see what the bike cover issue is. Takes 20 seconds to put on and take off and keeps everything rust free. Make is oxford rainex and is about 50 yoyos. U could yet lidl cheaper covers,but i find this one the best

reece wrote: »
    I dont have a garage and ride the bike every day mon to fri throughout the year. I dont see what the bike cover issue is. Takes 20 seconds to put on and take off and keeps everything rust free. Make is oxford rainex and is about 50 yoyos. U could yet lidl cheaper covers,but i find this one the best

Likewise. It's not like it takes half an hour to do it. Rainex is a decent bit of kit too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I'm in a similar boat, first bike, first winter. I do cover it every night with an Oxford cover that I got with the bike but it's the cheapest Oxford available. Probably is waterproof but condensation/whatever means the bike is always wet if it's raining anyway...Suppose it helps a bit, but not much.

In terms of greasing/oiling/protecting various parts, I'm clueless (bar the chain/sprockets).

I do ride it almost every day, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

I'd also recommend ACF50, it really will protect it from the elements/salt etc... and doesn't take long to treat your whole bike with it. Try to keep it as dry as possible, if that means covering it each evening then do so. The Irish winter is harsh on bikes so every bit you do will help. If you get caught in the rain and have a dry area then spend a few minutes drying it off before leaving it for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Red Neck Hughie

Definitely cover it, if you get caught with moisture in the ignition or switches during a hard frost you'll regret it, plus the saddle is much better if the frost doesn't have to be scraped off. Make sure you have the proper coolant/antifreeze in it too.
    Mind yourself in the frost, all the cagers have fogged up mirrors and windows so they see you even less... if that's possible.
    And buy a good scarf or balaclava, and longjohns, and newspapers down your trousers work well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

and newspapers down your trousers work well...

I can imagine that, pulling up at work and yanking the Sunday times out of my crotch. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Defo use a cover. When I commuted in Dublin I covered it every night and used it all year round. A few sec to remove and out on and well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Probably not a great deal of use to you this late, but I just had my bike done by these guys:

http://www.allyearbiker.co.uk/index.html

Check out the website, it is really good. I host a session at my house twice a year to get mine done.

I know they do travel to Ireland for sessions, it might be worth getting in touch.

Aside form that, I would reiterate what others have said. Get some ACF50 on your bike. It really is incredible stuff.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I can't use a cover, cats keep pissing all over it. Then I get covered in cat piss and stink of it when I take it on and off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I can't use a cover, cats keep pissing all over it. Then I get covered in cat piss and stink of it when I take it on and off.

Not the same, but...... I'm afraid of spiders!.

And I hate them lurking under the plastic cover and running at me when I lift it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

MrPudding wrote: »
    Probably not a great deal of use to you this late, but I just had my bike done by these guys:

http://www.allyearbiker.co.uk/index.html

Check out the website, it is really good. I host a session at my house twice a year to get mine done.

I know they do travel to Ireland for sessions, it might be worth getting in touch.

Aside form that, I would reiterate what others have said. Get some ACF50 on your bike. It really is incredible stuff.

MrP

How do you mean you hold a session? Is it a matter of having to get a certain number of bikes done at once? Would be interested in getting it done at those prices, does anyone in Ireland do it?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    How do you mean you hold a session? Is it a matter of having to get a certain number of bikes done at once? Would be interested in getting it done at those prices, does anyone in Ireland do it?
    A guy comes round to my house and I organise 4 bikes for him to treat.

I know they go to Ireland, I have previously seen sessions on the website. I reckon they need quite a few to make it economical.

According to the website it does nto look like anyone is doing it in Ireland. If you go to the hosting section and put in an enquiry they are pretty quick at getting back.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Same problem. Boots stink of cat piss. Managed to catch one sleeping inside few weeks ago, it got a nice kick in the ass and havent seen it around since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not the same, but...... I'm afraid of spiders!.

And I hate them lurking under the plastic cover and running at me when I lift it :o

Understandable. I mean with the new breeds of spiders that have been brought in from south east Europe thriving in around the Leinster area. I just can't bring myself to tell my girlfriend the truth that those big spiders on the wall are actually poisonous and can actually bite you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

New place up and running doing something similar, see here for details.

RosieJoe wrote: »

Have you used them? Not much on the site.

Yeah, he's new to it, but good.
    Have you used them? Not much on the site.

As my above post, this guy is not long in the game but did a few bikes recently and the owners have all been well impressed. I intend to get my bike done with him in the next few weeks too. He uses great products too, I can highly recommend the chap.

• Advertisement

Yeah, he's new to it, but good.

As my above post, this guy is not long in the game but did a few bikes recently and the owners have all been well impressed. I intend to get my bike done with him in the next few weeks too. He uses great products too, I can highly recommend the chap.

Reckon I will get it done over Xmas also, he says he's in Meath, how far from Dublin you know and is there anything to do there while he's at your bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭oakers

How do,

This is my latest venture. I am new to the game but have done the homework, research and training.

All above board and I'll be doing days in various places but am permanently based in Navan.

Strictly a part time gig at weekends. Drop me a line on the site if you have any questions. Looking forward to meeting all of you. :D

Reckon I will get it done over Xmas also, he says he's in Meath, how far from Dublin you know and is there anything to do there while he's at your bike?

A stack of Ride mags and tea and coffee?? That do ya? :D

Yeah he's in Nav....oh he answered already. LOL.

Anything to do? His missus makes a savage fry-up!! :pac:

Tea/Coffee and biccies, what more could you ask for!

Tea/Coffee and biccies, what more could you ask for!

A fry-up would be noice!! :D

Think you're going for the fry-up and the bike getting cleaned is a bonus :D

I can see the wife charging for them!! :p

Think you're going for the fry-up and the bike getting cleaned is a bonus :D

Yup, what's the problem? LOL
    oakers wrote: »
    I can see the wife charging for them!! :p

Ah well, more money coming in! It'd be an idea!! :D

• Advertisement

oakers wrote: »
    How do,

This is my latest venture. I am new to the game but have done the homework, research and training.

All above board and I'll be doing days in various places but am permanently based in Navan.

Strictly a part time gig at weekends. Drop me a line on the site if you have any questions. Looking forward to meeting all of you. :D
    Hi Oakers. Good luck with the new venture. One thing. BMW are getting a bit funny with the use of MuckOff. They are apparently refusing to replace corroded parts on bikes if MuckOff is used regularly.

Apparently they have found that if it is not rinsed correctly it can cause / accelerate corrosion.

MrP

Advertisement