Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold in rented accommodation

Options
  • 19-11-2011 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just looking for some advice. This morning I discovered that mold is starting to form around the window of my apartment. I'm obviously going to inform the landlady, but I was just wondering if she or I have to pay to have it removed/cleaned (I'm not sure of the removal process) I just don't want to be stumped into having to pay for it if she is legally liable!
    I've only been in the apartment since August, and I have a year long lease. The windows tend to have a lot of condensation so I assume this is causing the mold.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I suggest you read the two following post from boards.ie
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...9#post73725249
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...6&postcount=19

If you are responsible for the mould, then you should pay to have it cleaned - otherwise I would say it is the landlord's responsibility.

Condensation on the windows (especially if they are single glazed) is fairly common where there is insufficient ventilation in the room - there needs to be a current of air, so if you can, sleep with the door open.
    Is there a unobstructed vent in the room? - Yes, I know, the heat goes out as well but lack of an unobstructed vent is a major cause of mould.

Also check behind wardrobes and other furniture for mould, as well as inside them . your clothes etc.

Drying clothes especially winter, in a house or flat is another major cause of mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Thank you for the information!
    All of the windows have small vents in the top which appear to have been broken so they are constantly open. The mold is growing in the two bedrooms, around the windows, and a small bit on the roof. It doesn't appear to be anywhere else in the apartment.
    I really don't think we are responsible for the mold. We keep the apartment very clean, and open the balcony windows to let air circulate as often as the weather permits. We always using the extractor fan in the kitchen when cooking, and the fan in the bathroom is working too. The exterior wall of the apartment is very open to the elements and the windows can get quite draughty. Yet at the same time, there often is so much condensation on the windows that a small puddle forms on the cill.

Advertisement