Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike racks in Eyre Square

Options
  • 19-11-2011 3:31am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question, have one or more of the bike racks in the square been moved in the last few days? Specifically the one near the bus stops opposite Richardsons/pharmacy/Fibbers? My bicycle is/was in that one, and drove past this evening i couldn't see it - moved for christmas market? City council website proved unhelpful so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I believe it was being moved by the Christmas market people (maybe the council on their behalf), so that the Occupy Galway people can move into that space.

Just why they thought it was acceptable to remove a public amenity like that, I'm not sure.

Maybe have a "chat" to the protest people, and see if they know what's happened to your bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Quick question, have one or more of the bike racks in the square been moved in the last few days? Specifically the one near the bus stops opposite Richardsons/pharmacy/Fibbers? My bicycle is/was in that one, and drove past this evening i couldn't see it - .

How do you mean you were driving past your bike?

Did you leave your bike there on purpose, knowing full well they were moving the bike racks, just to kick up a fuss after?

I mean, who leaves their bike in a city rack for a few days, sure it's probably nicked long ago or lying on the ground somewhere kicked and buckled to bits.

You can hardly blame the council for your stupidity.

Regards

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I had no idea they were moving the rack, and i was being driven past as i've been too sick to cycle. I don't think being ill counts as stupidity, but thanks for your input there old bean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Perhaps they moved them to another spot? If that's the case then I wouldn't be too put out by it.
    The Christmas market makes people late for trains, and Eyre Sq is also a shortcut public amenity, that's another way you could look at it :p

On leaving a bike for a couple of days - plenty of people have done that (as OP mentioned, illness is just one reason). Another pal had a wheel kicked in when she left it for an hour, so then left it a few days until her father could pick it up in a van. There are plenty of reasons why people leave a bike longer than overnight. I try to stash mine indoors with friends if I can in town though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

@ Gremliertia. Well it's always best to explain these things in your original post to show that you are being sincere.

If you left your bike there overnight then you may as well assume its long gone, I would report it to the Gardai not the council.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

@inisboffin yes i'm hoping it's in another spot, just wondering if anyone knew offhand, not at all put out as it makes sense in fairness, i'm just suffering bad timing again!

@FlashD i didn't particularly feel like revealing my reasons, as inisboffin said, those can vary, ah well, may just be me being grumpy. on another note, not every bike gets the tar kicked out of it, personally i find the racks in the square fairly good, back west where there's less camera coverage i used see a lot of damage. I'd say a chat with council monday it is so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

There are occasions when I get back to my bike of an evening only to discover to my absolute horror that it may have had a pint or two while I was away.

On such occasions it usually stays where it is and I get a taxi - silly old irresponsible me.

Gahhaha, i thought i was the only one, i've had to take to breathalysing my wheels if left to it's own devices too long in town.... :rolleyes:

Advertisement