Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will our government ban fur farms?

Options
  • 19-11-2011 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

An anti-animal Minister in Ireland is sending out very worrying signals that he will not ban fur farming. :( I've heard of this from many sources in the past few days. More recently I received an email about it from ALiberation, calling one people to contact all TDs and Ministers to ensure that fur farming is banned in Ireland in the upcoming Animal Health and Welfare Bill.

Further details: here

Aliberation did up a handy sample letter for emailing. They had email addresses of all the ministers too, so you can copy and paste them. If you would like the list you could pm me and I could send it on. Alternatively you could ask Aliberation themselves (aliberationnow@gmail.com).
    YOUR ADDRESS

Dear TD/Minister/Senator,

It has come to my attention that Minister of State Shane McEntee and possibly the Department of Agriculture may be leading the two coalition government parties, Fine Gael and the Labour Party to block a ban on fur farming. Both parties have voted to ban fur farming in the past.

Recently Minister McEntee told the Seanad that “It is crucial that we have that meeting and that the fur farmers get the guarantees they are looking for”

Fur farming is expected to become banned in the upcoming Animal Health and Welfare Bill. What guarantees is the Minister giving the fur farmers?

I am very concerned about this. Please ensure that a ban on fur farming is included in the upcoming Animal Health and Welfare Bill.

Yours Sincerely,
    NAME

I wonder how this will all pan out. What do you think? Have you taken any action? Do you reckon Ireland can move forward without fur farms?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I doubt it! It's incredible, this country us one of the most backward in Europe with regards to animal rights. What kind of sicko could be in favour of fur farms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

TBF I see fur farming as the same as other types of farming and pet ownership. As long as the animal is not endangered and is well treated than whos to judge.

I know the place up in Donegal is in an area of f*ck all jobs, the mink there are fed bi products from fishing that is discarded from the human food chain. I think Nationwide did a piece on it months ago.

TBF I see fur farming as the same as other types of farming and pet ownership. As long as the animal is not endangered and is well treated than whos to judge.

I know the place up in Donegal is in an area of f*ck all jobs, the mink there are fed bi products from fishing that is discarded from the human food chain. I think Nationwide did a piece on it months ago.

Who's to judge? Good people who disagree with animals being captured from their natural environment and spending their entire lives confined to cramped, filthy wire cages, before being brutally killed, often skinned alive, and all for the sake of fashion? You don't even have to be a vegetarian to be opposed to this disgusting practice. It's totally indefensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

"not endangered"??? You do realise what fur and fur farming actually is, right?

Mink in cages being fed fish sh1te is cruel, unnatural and unnecessary, I don't give a flying f*ck about Sven and his cronies and their murderous trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I know the place up in Donegal is in an area of f*ck all jobs,

By that logic we should turn a blind eye to heroin dealing in deprived areas. Yeah... that makes sense. As long as people are making a profit it's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Nothing wrong with folks making living, everyone has bills to pay. The comparison with heroin dealers is a joke.

The animals used in it (going with Mink farmed in Ireland, not outside in countries like China) are bred in captivity and are different from the wild ones. You don't get white Mink in the Amazon. They are killed using carbon monoxide not skinned alive (if that is in reference to a video I have seen where the person doing it stops at one point and looks at the camera, it seemed to me like they paid the person and then filmed it. Sick)

IMO animal skin is kinder to the enviroment than anything petroleum based. I don't agree with the concept of things being disposeable. I think the 'dispoable society' was encouraged after WW2 to boost economies - mad tangent I know!

Nothing wrong with folks making living, everyone has bills to pay. The comparison with heroin dealers is a joke.

The animals used in it (going with Mink farmed in Ireland, not outside in countries like China) are bred in captivity and are different from the wild ones. You don't get white Mink in the Amazon. They are killed using carbon monoxide not skinned alive (if that is in reference to a video I have seen where the person doing it stops at one point and looks at the camera, it seemed to me like they paid the person and then filmed it. Sick)

IMO animal skin is kinder to the enviroment than anything petroleum based. I don't agree with the concept of things being disposeable. I think the 'dispoable society' was encouraged after WW2 to boost economies - mad tangent I know!

Construction of German gas chambers also provided work for someone - this is not a moral or sound reason for allowing suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Nothing wrong with folks making living, everyone has bills to pay.
    so as long as they're making money it's ok yeah?
    The comparison with heroin dealers is a joke.

Apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

"Some people think it's wrong to put profit before life..." - Inner Terrestrials.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

This is my problem with it. I wouldn't care if the animals are kept in five star hotels and are slaughtered in such a way to guarantee no pain. You are killing something for temporary personal gain. You wouldn't do it to people, so why do it to animals
    IMO animal skin is kinder to the enviroment than anything petroleum based.

Wrong. You need to factor in the cost of keeping and feeding the animals and removing their waste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Here's a new clip about the disgusting conditions that exist on Irish fur farms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭dynastygal

Actually it's a choice of gassing, or electrocution (anally) and in some poorer countries, skinning alive. And it doesn't matter whether the animals are born in captivity or captured, they certainly are not treated with any respect to their welfare as that costs money. Plus fur is not a necessity so to kill an animal for it's fur in a country like Ireland, UK, America etc is purely callous and vindictive. Making money out of the suffering of others is wrong, no matter what the victim.

And we have plants to make our clothes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Who's to judge? Good people who disagree with animals being captured from their natural environment and spending their entire lives confined to cramped, filthy wire cages, before being brutally killed, often skinned alive, and all for the sake of fashion? You don't even have to be a vegetarian to be opposed to this disgusting practice. It's totally indefensible.

I'm completely opposed to fur farming for many of the same reasons I'm opposed to using animals for food but I'm not certain that banning it is the right thing to do. If you had the power, would you ban meat and other animal products? None of that is essential.
    Slaphead07 wrote: »
    By that logic we should turn a blind eye to heroin dealing in deprived areas. Yeah... that makes sense. As long as people are making a profit it's ok.

All evidence I've seen shows that banning drugs only leads to much bigger problems than allowing people to make the decision to take them. Then again, drug use only directly harms those who take it whereas fur farming harms animals, not to mention the wider environment, so do you want to try making your point stand on it's own merit rather than taking the easy route and try equate it with something you personally see as wrong?
    Construction of German gas chambers also provided work for someone - this is not a moral or sound reason for allowing suffering.

I think this is the first thread I've seen here Godwinned as early as the eighth post. As I asked already, with me ban all meat too if you could?

I'm completely opposed to fur farming for many of the same reasons I'm opposed to using animals for food but I'm not certain that banning it is the right thing to do. If you had the power, would you ban meat and other animal products? None of that is essential.

All evidence I've seen shows that banning drugs only leads to much bigger problems than allowing people to make the decision to take them. Then again, drug use only directly harms those who take it whereas fur farming harms animals, not to mention the wider environment, so do you want to try making your point stand on it's own merit rather than taking the easy route and try equate it with something you personally see as wrong?

I think this is the first thread I've seen here Godwinned as early as the eighth post. As I asked already, with me ban all meat too if you could?

Probably, yeah. Also, the drug analogy is kind of null and void as you are not comparing like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Probably, yeah.

How do you justify that?
    Also, the drug analogy is kind of null and void as you are not comparing like for like.

Isn't that what I said? I was responding to someone else who equated the issue to letting people sell drugs and said it was a different case altogether, after explaining that allowing people the freedom to choose usually resulted in them cutting use anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I worked for a while on a Mink farm when I was young..and yes I saw Mink being skinned alive...it used to happen when the production line was busy and the skinners could not be bothered waiting for the Mink to die.Indeed they probably would have been fired if they held up the entire process waiting for the animals to expire.The images of it still haunt me..dozens of skinned bodies writhing and twisting in the waste boxes :(.

Advertisement