Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 puppies barking a lot at night

• 19-11-2011 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We have 2 shih tzu puppies, they are with us since Wednesday of last week. We have puppy-proofed the utility room and this is where they sleep at night. Most nights they are good and not a lot of noise but hubby told me this morning that he was up with them twice last night due to a lot of barking going on.
    I didn't hear anything as I was in a different bedroom with a sick child......the only concern I have is the noise bothering the neighbours (& hubby of course :) )

They are fed, watered and let wander around the back garden for a while before they go to bed....any suggestions on how to handle this?? They are 13 weeks old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

They will settle down after another few days. But what they learnt last night was if they bark they get your husband's company for a little while! You need to ignore them if they bark during the night. They might just be having a midnight play before going back to sleep! You could mention it to your neighbours that there will be just a little noise until the pups settle in.
    We have 2 shih tzu puppies, they are with us since Wednesday of last week. We have puppy-proofed the utility room and this is where they sleep at night. Most nights they are good and not a lot of noise but hubby told me this morning that he was up with them twice last night due to a lot of barking going on.
    I didn't hear anything as I was in a different bedroom with a sick child......the only concern I have is the noise bothering the neighbours (& hubby of course :) )

They are fed, watered and let wander around the back garden for a while before they go to bed....any suggestions on how to handle this?? They are 13 weeks old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are they being taken out to the loo during the night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

They probably need to go to the toilet. Puppies at that age cant hold it in all night so will need to go.
    Most puppies dont sleep all night either so they are going to be crying, barking for a while until they settle into their routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Get a cheap radio and turn it on for them down low, should do the job :D the reason there barking is because "someone I know" comes when I bark, so I will just bark until they come. Let them bark away they soon tire of it when they don't get their way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Spunk84 wrote: »
    Get a cheap radio and turn it on for them down low, should do the job :D the reason there barking is because "someone I know" comes when I bark, so I will just bark until they come. Let them bark away they soon tire of it when they don't get their way!

Not necessarily.At this age they cant hold their toilet in all night so it could be that they need the toilet or they are hungry etc. Its not always abput attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

As said above, they probably need to go to the toilet.
    You need a very strict routine, play time to tire them out, bring outside to do their business, then into bed.
    Let them cry and bark, they will settle, but at the moment you will have to get up at least once during the night. Set an alarm so you wake before they do, wake them up and bring them out, no interaction, just small praise for going, then back to bed.
    Once the routine is established, a couple of weeks, you can add 10 mins to the alarm time, to gradually increase time they sleep without toileting. They will need at least 2 more months to learn full control, some dogs take longer.
    Its just temporary, after a couple of months you won't need to get up, and you'll have a clean dry floor.

Advertisement