Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I would give the vote to the Kindle 3g model and as said earlier, and going into Tesco or Pcworld is the easiest way to pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi, I don't have time to read through the entire thread so sorry if this has been asked a million times before but I am thinking of buying a kindle and have a few questions:

First of all

Which is best - touch screen or keyboard?

What is the latest model? I have been looking at them on amazon.com and saw this one which I like the look of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=famstripe_kk3g but the same one is on the site as well for $189 so is the only reason that my one is cheaper becuase they have advertising on it? If so is this really annoying when you're reading - does stuff pop up on the screen etc?

Also regarding buying books is there a big difference in price with buying books from the US site as opposed to the UK site cos I understand that you have to have a UK address in order to purchase from the UK site (which I don't obv). I read that you can change your address to a made up UK one and then purchase from amazon.co.uk - but then wouldnt you have to change back your address everytime you want to buy something else from Amazon?

I'm confused basically!:confused: Help!

Also, is it very expensive from the US with customs duty etc? Has anyone got one recently and would be able to advise me on what they paid?

Thanks a million!

I prefer the non touch screen version. I tried out a touch screen before I bought mine and found I was constantly turning the page by accident.

I personally have the one with advertising on it. Its not annoying at all the only time you see the ads is when you kindle is turned off. When you are reading there are absolutely no ads. I also would not bother with the 3G if you have internet access at home there is no reason to spend the extra money on the 3G model.

I think its cheaper to buy the books in USD, the reason you have to do this is copyright issues with certain books and publishers. I don't find that there has been any problem, and I certainly don't think it would be worth changing your address every time you want to order a kindle book. You don't have to just buy the books from amazon either. I have Calibre on my computer and it converts any kind of ebook into mobi form and its free to use.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mcgovern wrote: »
    Hit the Menu button. If the ebook supports it, the page should be displayed there (along with the location).
    Can't always trust this, even when the ebook is enabled. I've been on Page 613 of 616 for the last 10% of the book...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I gave up reading books for a long time till I got my kindle, it is so easy to just pick up cheap or free books and not worry about lugging a heavy book around, great invention! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭polc07

HI, i have a kindle registered in my name but when i go onto my amazon ac to manage my kindle it doesnt have any history of any of the books i have bought on the archive. If i deregister and register again will i lose the books that i have bought or any ideas on what to do? i have sent amazon an email, im waiting for a reply. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

polc07 wrote: »
    HI, i have a kindle registered in my name but when i go onto my amazon ac to manage my kindle it doesnt have any history of any of the books i have bought on the archive. If i deregister and register again will i lose the books that i have bought or any ideas on what to do? i have sent amazon an email, im waiting for a reply. Thanks

Amazon have great phone support - call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Sorry if this is a silly question.
    But if you buy a Hardback/Softback book from Amazon, does this give you the right to download the same book on the Kindle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Donne wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a silly question.
    But if you buy a Hardback/Softback book from Amazon, does this give you the right to download the same book on the Kindle?

No its not like a BluRay/DVD. You got to buy the digital version separately if you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Brian017 wrote: »
    No its not like a BluRay/DVD. You got to buy the digital version separately if you want it

Cheers Brian, I was just hoping against hope :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

leahyl wrote: »
    Also, is it very expensive from the US with customs duty etc? Has anyone got one recently and would be able to advise me on what they paid?
    Would it not be quicker and cheaper to order from amazon.co.uk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Posy wrote: »
    Would it not be quicker and cheaper to order from amazon.co.uk?

The .co.uk site doesn't ship Kindles internationally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

it depends on whether you like books or you like reading. if you love books more than reading never get a kindle, if you love reading more than books get a kindle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Brian017 wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see how authors feel like that: Would they care if a digital copy somehow appeared on my Kindle if I had already bought their book in hardback / paperback form? I'm not going to pay twice and they'd still be getting money from me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ixoy wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see how authors feel like that: Would they care if a digital copy somehow appeared on my Kindle if I had already bought their book in hardback / paperback form? I'm not going to pay twice and they'd still be getting money from me.
    You can make the same argument about audio books, casette to CD, VHS to DVD, DVD to Blue Ray etc. as well. You're changing from one medium to another for something you've already paid and in general I'd guess they would not care a lot as they would get such a small slice of the profit (but that's for another discussion).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I don't think its the authors who would have a problem with it, more likely the publishers, who have spent money on OCR/proof-reading/hosting/whatever on the digital copy, that they won't get reimbursed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I finally made the plunge today and bought a Kindle. It was more a space thing than anything else, I tend to read 2-4 books a week, and I was running out of space to keep them (And it's a pain to haul big stacks of books into the second hand bookshop and be offered insulting low prices for them, even though you are only getting rid of them because you have no room for them!)

I went with the lower end 4th gen wi-fi one that they have in TESCO for 110 at the moment.

So far, so good, plenty of the kind of books I like available for it, Calibre makes it easy to convert things like PDFs to mobi format. It's much more practical (In my opinion) for reading in bed than a novel is.

My only pet hate at the moment is the ocasional flicker you get when changing pages, I know it's only really in my head, as it's much less disruptive than turning a page anyway (Which never bothered me).

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

oeb wrote: »
    My only pet hate at the moment is the ocasional flicker you get when changing pages, I know it's only really in my head, as it's much less disruptive than turning a page anyway (Which never bothered me).

Don't worry, you stop noticing it after awhile! When I first got mine I found it annoying that I kept thinking it was touchscreen and trying to change the page!! Couldn't do without it now, best present I ever got I think :D

Can anyone help - I just bought a book from waterstones and want to put it on my kindle but it wont convert, is there anything i can do or will i just have to read it on the laptop? Kinda guessed it could happen so used my points to pay for it but its annoying all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Elevelyn wrote: »
    Can anyone help - I just bought a book from waterstones and want to put it on my kindle but it wont convert, is there anything i can do or will i just have to read it on the laptop? Kinda guessed it could happen so used my points to pay for it but its annoying all the same!

What format is it?

Jernal wrote: »
    What format is it?

Epub

• Advertisement

It wont, says its protected thanks anyway though

edit - sorted it out, got a plugin, i love calibre :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

I absolutely love my Kindle, couldn't speak anything but good things about it. At about 100 euro, it's great value for money really. Anyone who is in between two minds of getting one, I would highly recommend you to take the plunge, it'll be well worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I've had one since last year, and while I really like it, the "You've Finished. Before You Go..." screen displayed when you progress beyond the last page of any document is the most pointless, annoying feature I've ever encountered on any electronic device.

I've searched for a way to disable it, but there doesn't appear to be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

Does anyone find, if and when they're using the internet on their Kindle, that most websites will work fine but Facebook (for some reason) freezes the Kindle? It happens on mine and I have to restart the Kindle but only when I'm using Facebook on it. Drives me mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Facebook on your Kindle.... why?

[-0-] wrote: »
    Facebook on your Kindle....

That's gotta be the ultimate universe ending paradox I've read so far today.
    recgp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I find Facebook works alright on the Kindle but have only went on once or twice! Don't see a point because I've got the laptop for that. If I wanted to something to browse facebook I'd either just download them and read them on the laptop or have a bought a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I absolutly love my kindle fire. I thought the backlit screen would be a problem but its not, not at all, and I suffer from eye fatigue using computers.

The only problem I have with it is Im eating through books. I have it with me all teh time so whenever I have a frew mins spaer I read a bit. I didnt do this with normal books. Also I travel a lot and having several books to read on one device is amaziong.

I do, However, Miss putting my finished books on the shelf but given the pros versus the cons its a small sacrafice as I actually never read a book twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

I've been collecting (mostly free) ebooks and stories for years to read on my laptop - great for business trips when I was employed - so it was a natural to get a Kindle. Now I've found a new use: since I was laid off I play music every weekend, so have loaded my song lyrics, chords and tunes into the Kindle. So if I'm not sure of a song I can look it up or even have it open to read, or hand the Kindle to an accompanist for the chords or the notes. It's so small and unobtrusive that I doubt any of the listeners notice that it's being used.

Advertisement