Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Kindle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cflanagan

Personally, I usually read book on digital format (kindle, or any e-readers) first and if the book is really good that the time I usually buy the actual book.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Daisy03 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a Kindle for Christmas but one of the main things turning me off it is that I have quite poor eyesight. I work on a computer all day and my eyes can get very tired so Im not sure if I would want to read something on a screen. Does anyone in a similar position have a kindle and would recommend it or not?
    Brian017 wrote: »
    its an eINK display as opposed to a LCD one like on a computer. This gets rid of the eye strain and you can read comfortably hours on end. You forget you're reading from a screen at times

And you can adjust the font size, linespacing etc to suit you which is a really useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

People (Both for and against eReaders) seem to have a very "One or the other" attitude toward Kindles.

I disagree with you here. I don't know anyone who got a kindle(or e-reader) who went and burnt all their books. I sold most of mine and used the proceeds to buy an ebook reader but thats just because I was emigrating, and could not move them. I also kept several that had technical value and or sentimental value, and I have 2 books on my letter to Santa Claus.

I find it is the people in the 'against' group who are of the "One of the other" mindset. You hear the same old arguments all the time "the smell of a book", "the feel of a book", "the memories" "having shelves of my favourite books" etc.

You can have a kindle and still have shelves full of books.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

its an eINK display as opposed to a LCD one like on a computer. This gets rid of the eye strain and you can read comfortably hours on end. You forget you're reading from a screen at times
    +1

In fact you forget you're reading a screen at all. Even calling it a screen doesn't seem right - you really have to see one to understand.

Any Sony store will show you one of their eReaders so you can see what people mean. (Then buy a Kindle!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

syklops wrote: »
    I disagree with you here. I don't know anyone who got a kindle(or e-reader) who went and burnt all their books. I sold most of mine and used the proceeds to buy an ebook reader but thats just because I was emigrating, and could not move them. I also kept several that had technical value and or sentimental value, and I have 2 books on my letter to Santa Claus.

I find it is the people in the 'against' group who are of the "One of the other" mindset. You hear the same old arguments all the time "the smell of a book", "the feel of a book", "the memories" "having shelves of my favourite books" etc.

Well said, but I do know a couple of people with kindles who think books should be done away with. Thats why I said both sides.

You can have a kindle and still have shelves full of books.

I think that sums up this whole discussion perfectly. /thread

• Advertisement

DjFlin wrote: »
    Well said, but I do know a couple of people with kindles who think books should be done away with.
    Goddamn hippies!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Daisy03

What Kindle would you recommend.. The basic one or the keyboard 3G?

Thanks

Thanks

1 vote for the basic one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

its an eINK display as opposed to a LCD

What about the kindle fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Thanks
    If you'll be buying the books via your computer get the basic one. Course you can still buy books on the basic one using the on screen keyboard but that can be a pain in the arse
    tuxy wrote: »

The fire is more of a tablet than a dedicated eReader. It has an LCD backlit screen so I wouldnt recommend it for reading ebooks even though it has that capability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jopari87

Thanks

I'd go with the basic one unless you travel a lot and want to buy books on the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Jopari87 wrote: »
    I'd go with the basic one unless you travel a lot and want to buy books on the move.

I agree, for the most part the 3G model is a waste of money if you have wifi at home.

tuxy wrote: »

See my earlier rant on the subject.

I was furious with amazon in naming the fire the Kindle Fire. The Kindle Fire is a tablet, its not an E-reader. A tablet and an e-reader are two different animals, with two different functions and in many ways two different consumer bases.

Also, stay away from the touchscreen version of Kindle eReader (not sure if they sell that here anyway).

You don't need or want to be touching the screen to turn the page. The tactile experience of clicking the back/forward buttons is much more user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Daisy03

Thanks for the advice. Got the basic kindle today. Can't use it til Christmas but can't wait to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

Thanks for the advice. Got the basic kindle today. Can't use it til Christmas but can't wait to try it out.

You can always read a book while you're waiting, of course :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 akonobi

Thanks

Neither. I just can't see buying a kindle without the color option because not only do I want to surf the web with my kindle but I also want to do it in color. To be able to get online without turning on my computer is something I can definitely make use of everyday. Smartphones just don't do cut it for me anymore so I suggest the Kindle Fire (review).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you want to buy a kindle to read books, then don't buy the Kindle Fire. If you want to buy a tablet a la the iPad, then get the Kindle Fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Great piece about ebook pricing - well worth a read. What I have been saying all along to those who expect ebooks to only cost a few dollars:

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-does-it-matter-that-kindle-books-were-9.99-before-anyone-used-e-readers/

akonobi wrote: »
    Neither. I just can't see buying a kindle without the color option because not only do I want to surf the web with my kindle but I also want to do it in color. To be able to get online without turning on my computer is something I can definitely make use of everyday. Smartphones just don't do cut it for me anymore so I suggest the Kindle Fire (review).

That is irresponsible advice in my opinion. See my previous rants for an explanation. The basic kindle is for reading books. I never once read a novel that I needed color for, all the novels I read were black and white.

The ability to browse the internet on the basic kindle is a side effect of its capabilities not a feature.

For the best reading and internet browsing experience, get a basic kindle for reading, and a tablet or laptop for internet browsing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I never once read a novel that I needed color for, all the novels I read were black and white.

First they have to introduce talkies; novels in full Technicolor will come later :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Graphic novel and comics??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

BostonB wrote: »
    Graphic novel and comics??

I would have thought the Kindle display too small for many of those things anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I've seen a lot of people describe the Kindle Fire as an electronic Amazon catalogue and if your not using it to browse and buy from Amazon its of little use. The screen is LCD too so its not even a Kindle either really and not a good e-reader.

Basic kindle is handy though so I would recommend one. But dont go buying the Kindle Fire thinking its for reading books or replacing your laptop because it will do neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Kinski wrote: »
    I would have thought the Kindle display too small for many of those things anyway?

No idea, but I've seen a few as PDF magazines. Ditto computing magazine and flying magazines where colour is kinda need.

BostonB wrote: »
    No idea, but I've seen a few as PDF magazines. Ditto computing magazine and flying magazines where colour is kinda need.

ARRRRRRGH!!! This is exactly what I mean Amazon/Barnes and Noble!!!!

The basic kindle is an e-book reader. It is for reading ebooks. While it can display PDF files it is not suited to displaying magazines as its e-Ink technology which is what makes reading books so awesome is not suited for displaying graphics.

For color and graphics, a tablet is the item of choice. I know it is a pity the two cant currently be combined, but to read books without eye strain you need a kindle(or ebook reader), and to read magazines or comics you need a tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 akonobi

ARRRRRRGH!!! This is exactly what I mean Amazon/Barnes and Noble!!!!

The basic kindle is an e-book reader. It is for reading ebooks. While it can display PDF files it is not suited to displaying magazines as its e-Ink technology which is what makes reading books so awesome is not suited for displaying graphics.

For color and graphics, a tablet is the item of choice. I know it is a pity the two cant currently be combined, but to read books without eye strain you need a kindle(or ebook reader), and to read magazines or comics you need a tablet.

I know the difference between a basic kindle and the kindle fire. What I am saying is that i'm not buying a kindle fire just to read black and white print. I like the option of having color on my screen if i want to view something on the web in color other than a book. And even when I'm reading, I do most of it at night in my bed so I like something with it's own light light source. I rarely read in bright sunlight. I don't have the leisure to lie out on the lawn reading. I work during the day.

What's so illogical about liking a kindle fire? I don't have 5 or 6 hundred dollars for an iPad and even if I did, I wouldn't buy anything with an Apple operating system in it. So I have a Kindle Fire for quickly getting on and offline and other little stuff I do. Guess what? I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I know the difference between a basic kindle and the kindle fire. What I am saying is that i'm not buying a kindle fire just to read black and white print. I like the option of having color on my screen if i want to view something on the web in color other than a book. And even when I'm reading, I do most of it at night in my bed so I like something with it's own light light source. I rarely read in bright sunlight. I don't have the leisure to lie out on the lawn reading. I work during the day.

What's so illogical about liking a kindle fire? I don't have 5 or 6 hundred dollars for an iPad and even if I did, I wouldn't buy anything with an Apple operating system in it. So I have a Kindle Fire for quickly getting on and offline and other little stuff I do. Guess what? I love it!

Buying a Kindle Fire is not illogical, as others have said, if you want a cheap tablet. It is not, however (again as everyone is saying), an ereader. It does not have an e-ink screen. For the majority of people, reading a novel on a Kindle Fire (or any other LCD screen) will give you headaches and hurt your eyes.
    So, if you want an ereader, do not go for the Kindle Fire.

You responded to a post where the poster was looking for advice on which to get. You may know the difference between the kindle and the kindle fire, but the poster to whom you were responding to didn't.

There is nothing illogical for liking the Kindle Fire, its just that the kindle has been specifically designed to make reading books for long periods of time enjoyable and easy on the eyes. The Kindle fire has been designed to allow one to surf the web, and view movies, music and books or magazines comfortably or while on the go. They are different objects with two different intended purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I had a few e-readers for work and I swore I'd never use them outside work. I came home from a year travelling recently. I hauled books around for the whole time I was away. Every time I picked up my bag I cursed the books inside and swore I'd buy a Kindle when I got home and that's what I did.

I still love everything about physical books and I enjoy having my own little library. My Kindle is pretty much for when I'm on the go. I would like if publishers packaged physical books and digital books together (you would get a code to redeem a digital copy of the book) like they do sometimes with dvds, blu rays and digital copies of movies.

Advertisement