Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dmjames

GO ahead and buy one .I don't think you will regret it .I bought a SOVOS e reader from amazon .Very easy to download books once you get the hang of it .I was going to buy a kindle but they would only post it from america . maybe that's all changed now .I'll never go back to paper books again .It's so easy to get books that you don't really need to pass books on to another person .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

dmjames wrote: »
    ...It's so easy to get books that you don't really need to pass books on to another person

.. and never get back. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dmjames

quite right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

GO ahead and buy one .I don't think you will regret it .I bought a SOVOS e reader from amazon .Very easy to download books once you get the hang of it .I was going to buy a kindle but they would only post it from america . maybe that's all changed now .I'll never go back to paper books again .It's so easy to get books that you don't really need to pass books on to another person .

They sell them in Tesco now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

flyaway. wrote: »
    They sell them in Tesco now. :)

and currys / pc world which seem to have better selection of covers than tesco (or at least my local tesco)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

am going to get the 3g one tomorrow in Currys, if anybody has bought from here did you buy the extended warrany is it worth it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

eskimocat wrote: »
    I was contemplating a Kindle and thought i would see how the folks on here were getting on with them. The technology sounds a bit complicated in terms of downloading etc.. since I never actually downloaded anything much of the internet.. no music, no games, you get the picture. Still ye seem to have good advice on those things, thanks.
    If you have the keyboard one you can download very easily once you set up an account on amazon.co.uk or amazon.com.
    You just click on your Kindle to 'Shop in Kindle store', type in the name of the book you want, scroll through the titles and when you've picked the one you'd like either 'download a sample' (to read a few pages in advance before buying) or click 'Buy this book now.'
    The title will have been downloaded as fast as you can get back to your home screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Can anyone recommend a cover for my kindle 3g? I'm thinking of getting one with a light but I've heard of battery drain issues and I don't want to have to charge my kindle every week and risk degrading the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

The light works on its own battery so don't know why people are experiencing battery drain

Brian017 wrote: »
    The light works on its own battery so don't know why people are experiencing battery drain

Not with this one... http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted-Leather-Cover-Keyboard/dp/B003DZ165W/ref=sr_1_1?s=fiona-hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1326062340&sr=1-1

I already have a light (a belkin one) so I might just get the following cover: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Leather-Updated-Design-Keyboard/dp/B004JXVOEU/ref=sr_1_6?s=fiona-hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1326062340&sr=1-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

[-0-] wrote: »

i have that one the only complaint i have about it is it makes it hard to trye plus it means you have to turnpage with the right side buttons

I read with the cover folded over so can use either side-buttons to turn the page.

I ended up getting the cover with the light. I have the wireless turned off if using the light, to compensate. It doesn't seem to hugely drain the battery. I got it because I figured better and handier to have the light, rather than end up regretting getting the other one.

Are you going for the green one? It looks like a great colour! :)

Posy wrote: »
    I read with the cover folded over so can use either side-buttons to turn the page.

I ended up getting the cover with the light. I have the wireless turned off if using the light, to compensate. It doesn't seem to hugely drain the battery. I got it because I figured better and handier to have the light, rather than end up regretting getting the other one.

Are you going for the green one? It looks like a great colour! :)

Yep I ordered it a few hours ago. Green is my favourite colour and the kindle I have is white so it will look lovely I hope. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I use this cover and its great. No light, so I use a normal book light when reading in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

mcgovern wrote: »
    I use this cover and its great. No light, so I use a normal book light when reading in bed.

That's the one I have too. Love it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

tuxy wrote: »
    That's the one I have too. Love it.
    Me three and my mum got it too. It's a lovely cover.

For a light, I use the clip-on Mighty Bright. Works beautifully and I haven't had to change the batteries since I got it in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

ixoy wrote: »
    Me three and my mum got it too. It's a lovely cover.

For a light, I use the clip-on Mighty Bright. Works beautifully and I haven't had to change the batteries since I got it in June.

I got one of these for a tenner in tesco. Avoid.

Was on a plane today. They made me stop using my kindle on take off and landing while people with real books could continue reading. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

tuxy wrote: »
    Was on a plane today. They made me stop using my kindle on take off and landing while people with real books could continue reading. :(
    Haha, brilliant :D

How come? Could you not just switch the wireless off? :confused:
    Have a cover on it, or hide it in a magazine- they'll never know!

(Kidding!)

• Advertisement

I had a cover on it. They have a blanket ban on the use of all electrical items on take off and landing

"I have gathered you all here" announced the detective, puffing nonchalantly on his pipe "for the small matter of telling you all that I have uncovered Sir Hugo's killer.."
    A collective gasp ran through the group.
    "Ah yes, it's all so simple now. The red rose left in his lapel, the missing vase that seemed to have been broken in the struggle and of course- the small matter of Lady Evelyn's inheritance. I have been so blind! How could I not have known at once that the killer was..."

'LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PLEASE FASTEN YOUR SEATBELTS AND TURN OFF ALL ELECTRICAL DEVICES AS WE APPROACH FOR LANDING'

:(

I faced the same torture on Saturday, and will no doubt go through it again when I fly back to Ireland on the 21st. However I have a cover and I intend on getting away with it!

I have friends who are pilots and they've recorded videos on their phones taking off and landing. Wireless & electronic devices don't matter at all. They just do it to cover their arse. Think about it, if it mattered they would take them off you and return them after the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Read my first book on the Kindle over past few days and have to say I really like it.

Will get used to this, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I faced the same torture on Saturday, and will no doubt go through it again when I fly back to Ireland on the 21st. However I have a cover and I intend on getting away with it!

I have friends who are pilots and they've recorded videos on their phones taking off and landing. Wireless & electronic devices don't matter at all. They just do it to cover their arse. Think about it, if it mattered they would take them off you and return them after the flight.

Also, my understanding of the way in which the kindles e-Ink works is that it only uses electricity when printing the page. I wonder would a future "flight safe" mode be possible where by you turn it on, display(print) the page, and then turn it off. So, so long as the killer is revealed as being O'Toole the gardener at the bottom of the page, you will be able to read it and get around the "All electronic devices must be off" rule.

Or relax it, or just admit they have lost. The number of people who go to turn on their phone upon landing only to realise its been on the entire time must be a regular occurrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

mickoregan wrote: »
    DON'T DO IT........:D

So, I got one. Even though you said no. Sorry for such disobedience :p

I have got to say I love it - though it takes a bit of getting used to - for the 'everyday' reading that I do, where I really don't need to own the book, as it were (I am quite into whodunnits at the moment) they are brill. There is still nothing better than having a real book and I am sure I will continue to buy them, but on balance I think they are a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Some fantastic classic free books too just downloaded.

Was worth getting one now for sure.

The free classics are brilliant!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The original ban was due to the fear how the mobile phone would connect to so many phone masts (and hog space) due to height and speed of the plane iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Stupid Kindle question:-

Is it possible to reset a book so that, on a second read, if you go to furthest page read you won't go straight to the end of the book?
    I can't figure it out. I'm sure I'll kick myself when I find out.

Advertisement