Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Stupid Kindle question:-

Is it possible to reset a book so that, on a second read, if you go to furthest page read you won't go straight to the end of the book?
    I can't figure it out. I'm sure I'll kick myself when I find out.

Yep.

Hit the menu button, and you should see the option 'go to'. Under this you can skip straight to the cover, table of contents (if applicable), Page 1, or any specific page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Yep.

Hit the menu button, and you should see the option 'go to'. Under this you can skip straight to the cover, table of contents (if applicable), Page 1, or any specific page.

But, if you 'sync to furthest page read', it will always be the end of the book, right? Or, is it possible to reset the book so that your kindle account doesn't remember that you've already finished it. It would save having to search for you location if you wanted to read a chapter on your phone or computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ah, I get you now. I've never actually used the sync to furthest page read option though, so I'm not sure if there is a way around that. All I can think of there is removing it from the device and putting it back on, which would be easy enough to do on Calibre if you're using it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

This isn't in the manual but for those of you on a Kindle 3:

Press Alt+Shift+M from the "Home Screen"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I'M GETTING MY KINDLE ON SAT!!
    That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'M GETTING MY KINDLE ON SAT!!
    That is all.
    Yaaay! You'll wonder how you ever did without it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ixoy wrote: »
    This isn't in the manual but for those of you on a Kindle 3:

Press Alt+Shift+M from the "Home Screen"...

I had no idea what you were talking about so had to google it first, cool ! This is the page where I found out what it does, you can add your own screen savers.
    http://booksprung.com/tips-tricks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Just had an odd thing happen with my Kindle. In the middle of reading the screen just froze and there was no response to the page turners on either side. It’s the Kindle keyboard 3G and it had just been fully charged so I knew that was not the problem. But I plugged it in – just to see if it was alive at all - it did not respond to the charger. No ‘on’ light. The thing just died on me, completely.

I went onto the Amazon site to contact them and saw the troubleshooting page - there were instructions there to press and hold the ‘on’ button for 20 seconds while it is plugged in. It worked and it came back on. But I’m wondering now if this is a common problem. Anyone else have this happen?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

MarchDub wrote: »
    Just had an odd thing happen with my Kindle. In the middle of reading the screen just froze and there was no response to the page turners on either side. It’s the Kindle keyboard 3G and it had just been fully charged so I knew that was not the problem. But I plugged it in – just to see if it was alive at all - it did not respond to the charger. No ‘on’ light. The thing just died on me, completely.

I went onto the Amazon site to contact them and saw the troubleshooting page - there were instructions there to press and hold the ‘on’ button for 20 seconds while it is plugged in. It worked and it came back on. But I’m wondering now if this is a common problem. Anyone else have this happen?
    Exact same thing happened to me, about two days before GRRM's latest was due. I thought it had died too but the reset worked. That was in the middle of last year and it hasn't happened since.

Hi, excuse my ignorance but I have a question about my new Kindle. Are there free books on the web that I can download to my Kindle (legally) or do I have to buy all books from the Kindle store?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Hi, excuse my ignorance but I have a question about my new Kindle. Are there free books on the web that I can download to my Kindle (legally) or do I have to buy all books from the Kindle store?
    Thanks

You can upload .txt and .pdf files (and some other formats) to your Kindle. The easiest way I've found to do this is to use Amazon's Send to Kindle app for Windows - just right click on a file and click "Send to Kindle". You can find out-of-copyright books here: http://www.gutenberg.org/

Thanks B C. I bought 'The Hunger Games' earlier so I could try out the Kindle and I have to say I LOVE IT!
    I'll try your recommendation and see how I get on. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

if you go to the amazon kindle store the is a butto that says dissusions every day they have a post with free books (most are crap but a few are gems)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Thanks B C. I bought 'The Hunger Games' earlier so I could try out the Kindle and I have to say I LOVE IT!
    I'll try your recommendation and see how I get on. Thanks again

No problem. Also, you should check out the "Kindle Singles", which are a sort of halfway house between a long magazine article/story and a book, and are usually about 2/3 dollars. I really enjoyed "The Long Run".

Will do, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I had no idea what you were talking about so had to google it first, cool ! This is the page where I found out what it does, you can add your own screen savers.
    http://booksprung.com/tips-tricks

Hey I tried this but I must be silly because I can't figure out how to get them from the computer on to the Kindle :rolleyes:... Help please! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Hey I tried this but I must be silly because I can't figure out how to get them from the computer on to the Kindle :rolleyes:... Help please! :o
    email to your kindle account

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jay phelan

It's amazing how much I've been reading more since I've gotten a Kindle. I thought since I joined the library back a while ago that I've read more but thinking about it I was only reading 3 books every month. Now I can get books for either free or a fraction of the price and I don't have to leave my house. Why didn't I get one ages ago?

They're great for spur of the moment purchases! (..or bad depending on what you end up spending!)
    But it's brilliant to be hanging around the house on a day off work or at home miles from a bookshop/library and think "Ooh, I'd love to read ___" and be able to purchase it in a couple of clicks and begin reading right away! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I bought my Kindle recently and I honestly have about 50 books on it, most of which I have never read. I keep buying too hehe. I love it so much! I'm reading a couple of books per week at this stage and I never was a fast reader but my skills have definitely improved.

I was absolutely delighted to find Nostos by John Moriarty was finally released on Kindle. Buy it please people, if you haven't already. I got it for a fantastic 9.99 USD. I have the hard copy as well but it's huge and clunky. Once I finish the current book I'm reading I'll go straight for this again.

I love reading! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

How do you figure out what page number your on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Why would you need to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Since I got my e-Reader, I regularly find myself memorising the page number just before I turn it off, like I would with a real book, but I dont need to.

The page number issue is a problem when converting to digital because most if not all publishers put a load of other pages before the book 'starts'. I regularly find this a nusance with technical books because there could be a table on contents 40 pages long, so the book actually starts on age 56. Also if it is a PDF, it is much easier to skim on a PC and then dive into the reading, but you need to know what the off set is.

For now I count the number of pages at the start, and take away that number from the page number displayed, to get the actual number. Does that make sense?

Why would you need to do that?

I downloaded a few books I needed for college on it; they were a lot cheaper. So if I ever needed to cite a page or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Hit the Menu button. If the ebook supports it, the page should be displayed there (along with the location).

It seems 'Percentage of book read' is the future, as opposed to 'pages.'
    I miss page numbers on my kindle, but it's so great in all other aspects I don't mind. :)

mcgovern wrote: »
    Hit the Menu button. If the ebook supports it, the page should be displayed there (along with the location).

The damn book doesn't support it! However, all the other books on it do. It's a legit download from Amazon as well.
    I wonder is there anyway to tell from the page location

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi, I don't have time to read through the entire thread so sorry if this has been asked a million times before but I am thinking of buying a kindle and have a few questions:

First of all

Which is best - touch screen or keyboard?

What is the latest model? I have been looking at them on amazon.com and saw this one which I like the look of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=famstripe_kk3g but the same one is on the site as well for $189 so is the only reason that my one is cheaper becuase they have advertising on it? If so is this really annoying when you're reading - does stuff pop up on the screen etc?

Also regarding buying books is there a big difference in price with buying books from the US site as opposed to the UK site cos I understand that you have to have a UK address in order to purchase from the UK site (which I don't obv). I read that you can change your address to a made up UK one and then purchase from amazon.co.uk - but then wouldnt you have to change back your address everytime you want to buy something else from Amazon?

I'm confused basically!:confused: Help!

Also, is it very expensive from the US with customs duty etc? Has anyone got one recently and would be able to advise me on what they paid?

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi, I don't have time to read through the entire thread so sorry if this has been asked a million times before but I am thinking of buying a kindle and have a few questions:

First of all

What is the latest model? I have been looking at them on amazon.com and saw this one which I like the look of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=famstripe_kk3g but the same one is on the site as well for $189 so is the only reason that my one is cheaper becuase they have advertising on it? If so is this really annoying when you're reading - does stuff pop up on the screen etc?

Also regarding buying books is there a big difference in price with buying books from the US site as opposed to the UK site cos I understand that you have to have a UK address in order to purchase from the UK site (which I don't obv). I read that you can change your address to a made up UK one and then purchase from amazon.co.uk - but then wouldnt you have to change back your address everytime you want to buy something else from Amazon?

I'm confused basically!:confused: Help!

Also, is it very expensive from the US with customs duty etc? Has anyone got one recently and would be able to advise me on what they paid?

Thanks a million!

Touch screen or keyboard is probably personal preference, go into one of the stores and try both to see which you prefer but I think most shops here only have the keyboard in the 3G version.
    The one with ads you can only get in the US, the ads are just when its off, not when you are reading.
    Its probably cheaper to just buy in Tesco or PC World etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

leahyl wrote: »

I don't have a touchscreen. But I often change hand positions when reading for a long time (as I would a real book) and quite often I am holding it in such a position that my fingers are pressing against the screen.

If this wouldn't be possible on a touchscreen due to something happening then I would never get the touchscreen model.
    Though I have never used the touchscreen model so am not sure if the screen is even active when reading.

Advertisement