Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worried about lump, where do i go next?

Options
  • 19-11-2011 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

hi all, sorry if this is wrong forum, i don't really know where to go with this. have had tingling in my right breast on and off for a couple of months now and felt a lump behind my nipple that seems to come and go. the tingling/sensitivity is always at its worst when i wake up in the morning then fades a bit till i go to bed again that night. i am 32 and there is a history of cancer in both my parents families, although not breast cancer. where do i go from here to get a mammogram? my gp? the well woman centre? somewhere else? i don't have a clue and am anxious and panicky. any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Helium

For gods sake go somewhere fast. Your GP should be first port of call.
    Sure somebody here will tell you exactly where to go if they knew general area you lived in.

Common sense should tell you EARLY DETECTION is vital and don't be worried
    that you might be over reacting.

Please don't ignore it and I hope everything works out fine for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

thanks helium. i live on the north side of dublin. will make an appt with my gp asap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

cocokay, since you live on the north side of Dublin it's likely that your GP will refer you to the breast clinic in Beaumont. I've been there myself and they're really nice.
    Please rest assured that the vast majority of breast lumps are benign.

Best of luck.

thanks dizzyblonde, could i just contact them and ask for an appointment or do i have to be referred by my gp? i would prefer to get it done asap rather than going diff places! is it expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Hi cocokay,
    Heed the advice of the other posters!! Do NOT put it off!!

Your lump could be anything from something benign to malignant. The only way to find out and put your mind at rest is to have it checked out. If it is something simple, then it can be sorted out very quickly. On the other hand, if it is something serious, then EARLY diagnosis is absolutely VITAL!

You'll find info on Breastcheck here. As you're outside the 'normal' limits of 50 - 64 years, you'll probably need a referral from your G.P.

You can also get information and confidential advice from a Cancer nurse on the Irish Cancer Society Freefone Helpline 1800-200-700 (operates Mon - Fri, 9-5) - Well worth your while calling - I'd strongly recommend it!!

With a history of Cancer on both sides of the family, even though it isn't breast Cancer, it is critical that you keep on top of this.

For God's sake...and your own!!.....Do NOT delay in having this checked out! Take care..and the best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

cocokay wrote: »
    thanks dizzyblonde, could i just contact them and ask for an appointment or do i have to be referred by my gp? i would prefer to get it done asap rather than going diff places! is it expensive?

As far as I know you need a referral from your GP. You'd have to wait until Monday anyway to phone the clinic about an appointment. The clinic is free, and in my experience the treatment is excellent. They then refer you for an ultrasound or mri if they think you need it. Please try not to worry, although I know how hard it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

As far as I know you need a referral from your GP. You'd have to wait until Monday anyway to phone the clinic about an appointment. The clinic is free, and in my experience the treatment is excellent. They then refer you for an ultrasound or mri if they think you need it. Please try not to worry, although I know how hard it is.

You do need a referral from your GP. The rapid access breast clinics have been operating for about a year now and they are free. GPs have online access for referrals. They saw 37,000 referrals last year, 12,000 of these were classed as 'urgent' with 95% of these urgent patients seen with 2 weeks. Only about 5% of patients seen in these clinics were diagnosed with cancer.

Edit: Just saw that there is an article in today's Irish Times about the clinics

Condo131 wrote: »
    You'll find info on Breastcheck here. As you're outside the 'normal' limits of 50 - 64 years, you'll probably need a referral from your G.P.
    Great info on ICS and the importance of getting checked early. Breastcheck is however as screening service and not designed for people who have any symptoms. The symptomatic breast clinics is the place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

After reading these post's you have given me a lot of comfort. My wife found a lump on her breast last Monday and went to the GP. He referred her to Beaumount and she was seen last Friday. They gave her a mamogram and ultra sound and took biopsy's . The original lump is about 2cm and they found 2 more tiny one's in a line with the bigger one.

I am up to 90 with worry for her but I am doing my best not to show it because I know she is thinking about it. We have to go back this Friday for the results. I am a total pessimist with things like this and I am fearing the worst.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife. She did the right thing, whatever it is wasn't going to change. By going as soon as she found the lump, even if it is bad news, she has maximised her chances of a good outcome.

• Advertisement

Hi JohnnieK,
    This is a very worrying time for you and your family. You've done everything right. As lonestargirl says, the immediate outcome isn't going to change now. However what you've done may have a critical bearing on the long-term outcome. Apparently, the vast majority of lumps do not turn out to be malignant (Anyone else reading this, you DO need to have ALL lumps checked out!. Early diagnosis is absolutely vital.)

You're (rightly) very concerned. If either you or your wife wants, you can speak, in confidence, to a Cancer nurse on the Irish Cancer Society Freefone Helpline 1800-200-700 (operates Mon - Fri, 9-5) - Well worth your while calling - I'd strongly recommend it!! It's good to talk to someone who knows whats going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 coatsie

Found a lump 2 weeks ago and went to Doctor, Have my appointment in James Hospital in morning, really worried:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

GP only answer. good luck..often turns out to be nothing but don't put off GP visit asap.

coatsie wrote: »
    Found a lump 2 weeks ago and went to Doctor, Have my appointment in James Hospital in morning, really worried:(

I'll say what everyone else has being saying to us since last Friday. Dont worry until you get the results (easier said than done).

The more and more I read the more optimistic I get.

I will post the outcome (good or bad) on Friday.

i went to my gp, he referred me to beaumont but i got a letter saying my appointment isn't till feb! i thought i would be seen within a couple of wks, i'm presuming its because my problem doesn't seem as serious as others? is it going to take another 2 months to get results from them then? cause smear test results always take ages to come back too!

hi cocokay, Whether the two months is relevant or not, it IS causing you distress. I suggest that you ring your GP and ask his/her opinion on the length of time to your appointment. If the G.P. feels that it's unduly long, he/she might be able to push for an earlier one. You could also ring a Cancer nurse on the Irish Cancer Society Freefone Helpline 1800-200-700 (operates Mon - Fri, 9-5).

The vast majority of breast lumps are not malignant. I can empathise with you, given your family history. Btw, did you tell your G.P. about your family history? If not, it would be wise to let him know, even though the history is not for BCa. Given lonestargirl's earlier response about urgent cases being seen within two weeks, maybe the G.P. feels that it's not critical, however it's YOUR health, so, as I said before, I suggest ringing your G.P.

Well were do I start!! Our worst fears were made a reality on Friday, my beautiful wife has breast cancer. It's invasive ductal carcinoma. First off the cancer is showing some positive characteristics and the consultant said it's very curable. The cancer is invasive but it's not an aggressive one. It's oestrogen receptor positive which is good and perception receptor (i think that's what it's called) negative which is also good. The consultant is very hopeful by the area where the cancer is that it hasn't spread. She is going in for staging tests on Thursday to see if it has spread else where in the body. If we get the all clear she will be going in for a mastectomy in the first week of Jan followed by chemotherapy for 5 months.

It's these staging tests that we are more afraid off than the course of treatment. It's like a huge weight sitting on us and she is just thinking of our 3 and 2 year olds at the moment.

I am sitting here typing this crying at the moment and I have never felt emotions like this before. I am very worried by these staging tests because of the luck we have had over the last couple of weeks.

That saying if there is someone here reading this it does not mean that your lump is cancerous but get it checked out all the same.

I will keep you all posted.

I am keeping a brave face for my wife but inside I am heart broken. She even turned around to me the other night and said that we would not be able to have sex for a long time and would I still love her. I would never have sex ever again if I thought it would make her better.

I'm so angry at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jimmydec

Breast cancer management has improved 3000 % this country over the past few years,have trust in your team and help each other through. Hope you have good friends and family for support. At times like this you realise what good people are out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 coatsie

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Well were do I start!! Our worst fears were made a reality on Friday, my beautiful wife has breast cancer. It's invasive ductal carcinoma. First off the cancer is showing some positive characteristics and the consultant said it's very curable. The cancer is invasive but it's not an aggressive one. It's oestrogen receptor positive which is good and perception receptor (i think that's what it's called) negative which is also good. The consultant is very hopeful by the area where the cancer is that it hasn't spread. She is going in for staging tests on Thursday to see if it has spread else where in the body. If we get the all clear she will be going in for a mastectomy in the first week of Jan followed by chemotherapy for 5 months.

It's these staging tests that we are more afraid off than the course of treatment. It's like a huge weight sitting on us and she is just thinking of our 3 and 2 year olds at the moment.

I am sitting here typing this crying at the moment and I have never felt emotions like this before. I am very worried by these staging tests because of the luck we have had over the last couple of weeks.

That saying if there is someone here reading this it does not mean that your lump is cancerous but get it checked out all the same.

I will keep you all posted.

I am keeping a brave face for my wife but inside I am heart broken. She even turned around to me the other night and said that we would not be able to have sex for a long time and would I still love her. I would never have sex ever again if I thought it would make her better.

I'm so angry at the moment.
    I'll say what everyone else has being saying to us since last Friday. Dont worry until you get the results (easier said than done).

The more and more I read the more optimistic I get.

I will post the outcome (good or bad) on Friday.

Just read your post, in tears for you both. It will be hard waiting on extra tests but hopefully the results will be positive. I was one of the lucky ones that left James hospital with news my lump, and extra ones Doctor found were a cluster of cysts that he drained. Cried for day with relief.

Hi JohnnieK,

You'll find a booklet on Breast Cancer, from the Irish Cancer Society here. There are several Cancer support groups in Dublin, including the Irish Cancer Society and ARC House. When you're ready I suggest that you, or your wife, or both talk, in confidence, to them. Both have drop-in support centres in Dublin.

As always you can also ring the confidential Irish Cancer Society Freefone helpline on 1800-200-700.

Nothing I say can ease your pain, or that of your wife. Your emotions are clearly swinging 'helter skelter'. You may feel powerless to help, but, rest assured, your support will be both vital and essential to your wife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Well were do I start!!

I'm so sorry - I wish there was something useful I could say, but I've no experience with this situation - thank God. You and your wife will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Stay strong, dude, you know where we are if you need us. If you'd like to start a thread specifically to talk about your wife, her diagnosis, treatment and recovery, you know what to do.

JohnnieK I'm so sorry, you'll both be in my prayers too.

JohnnieK, I'm so sorry the news wasn't what you wanted to hear. Rest assured your wife will be looked after well, breast cancer services have improved immensely over the last few years. Treatment will take a number of months and it won't be easy but you will come out the other side together.

Advertisement