Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding phones in Limerick

• 19-11-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking to get my phone rooted and then get some Roms on it. Does anybody know where this can be done in Limerick?
    It had it done on my phone already when I bought it secondhand and when it had to be repaired recently it was rebooted to original format.
    I tried couple of phone repair shops but they didn't know how.
    Theres loads about it on the net but it seems too complicated for me:o:o:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

hey mark, I don't know if there are any shops around town that do it but it is a simple enough process. If you list you phone here I will write you a tutorial. It will be in laymans terms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Hey thanks. It's a HTC desire HD running 2.3.3.

Do me a favour and hold in the power button and click reboot, if another list comes up that includes recovery etc then it will already be rooted. Just making sure. I'll write up the tut now anyway should not take too long :)

/EDIT Actually, this is a fairly simple to understand tutorial. http://www.xda-developers.com/android/how-to-root-the-htc-desire-hd/

If you have any problems dont hesitate to ask here. It is REALLY easy to do but may be overwhelming the first time you try :)

Here are direct links to the tools he talks about in the vid

Ace kit: http://droid.neolobster.com/roms/aahk-29102011.zip

Revolution Custom Rom: http://tiny.cc/3v1li

I have a fair idea what there on about and all the stuff is already on the SD card. Its just the part about the cmd on the computer I'm not to sure on.
    When I hold down the power button it just say power off/ airplane mode or restart.

You have to extract aahk-29102011.zip on your pc, this file should not be on your sd card.

Once you extract it you have to click on hack-ace.cmd then press 1 and then press enter.

If you have the rom (update.zip) on your sd card already then just continue the tutorial from http://www.xda-developers.com/android/how-to-root-the-htc-desire-hd/ from step 9 onwards.

• Advertisement

This is where I'm at.
    Ive steps 1 to 4 done at http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...htc-desire-hd/ .
    When I try to do step 5 it looks for a passkey. I enter 1 and it tells me to read the "effen manual" which I have done (many times) and cant see any pass key.
    I'm thinking it might have something to do with running it as administrator. I don't get that option as there is no administrator on mt PC:confused::confused::confused:

Ahhh you will have to rightclick the cmd file and click run as admin

Ive just discovered that it tells you how to get the pass key in the FAQ section.
    I'm going to try it again tomorrow coz I don't want to be bricking my fone in case I need it later.
    Thanks for your help.
    Ill let you know how I get on!

Well this is what happened; I tried to root it last night and all seemed to go well until I got a message on phone telling me I have a damaged SD card. I replaced it and flashed this Rom; Cyanogen 7 as that was what was on the fone originally when I bought it.
    All seemed to be going well until it came to rebooting the phone. It would turn on but wouldn't boot up. It was getting late so I left it.
    Started again this morning and found out on Cyanogen forum that this happens sometimes and I was able to get it sorted:D
    Still not sure why the whole process damaged my SD card but its a small price to pay to have my phone rooted.
    To anyone wondering about giving this a go, it really isn't that hard, especially with help and encouragement from the likes of Limericks

Thanks Limericks for all your time and help icon14.gif

mark1974 wrote: »
    Well this is what happened; I tried to root it last night and all seemed to go well until I got a message on phone telling me I have a damaged SD card. I replaced it and flashed this Rom; Cyanogen 7 as that was what was on the fone originally when I bought it.
    All seemed to be going well until it came to rebooting the phone. It would turn on but wouldn't boot up. It was getting late so I left it.
    Started again this morning and found out on Cyanogen forum that this happens sometimes and I was able to get it sorted:D
    Still not sure why the whole process damaged my SD card but its a small price to pay to have my phone rooted.
    To anyone wondering about giving this a go, it really isn't that hard, especially with help and encouragement from the likes of Limericks

Thanks Limericks for all your time and help icon14.gif

Hey glad you got it sorted in the end. It is really odd you got that message about the SD card. Try format the card and see if it is working then?

• Advertisement

I formatted the card and it is now working again. Thanks for the tip. I was going to bin it!

Advertisement