Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with my iPhone contract

Options
  • 19-11-2011 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey i'm looking for some advice regarding my iPhone.....
    I'm emigrating to Perth in January, now I've got a 2 year contract for my iPhone with 3, there's about 14 months left on the contract, does anybody have any suggestions on what I should do? What's the cheapest way of hanging onto the phone without having 3 on my back with solicitors letters etc....
    I know I can transfer the contract over to a friends name or whatever but the thing is I'd rather not have to give up the iPhone...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I presume you can just pay the rest of your contract in full and keep the phone? Not a cheap thing to do but I don't see another option?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Nothing you can do really. They'll demand the terms of the contract is met etc. Unless you transfer over the name on the account to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It'll cost you about €560 to get out of the contract, you'll get about €260 for the iphone second hand so you'll end up handing over about €300 to get out of the contract.

You could pay up the €560 and keep the phone, 3 will also give you the unlock code then, you'll need it if your going to australia as it won't work over there without it.

Don't trust anyone to pay your contract in your absence, it could land you in big trouble if they run up a big bill in your name and don't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

YNWA_96 wrote: »
    Hey i'm looking for some advice regarding my iPhone.....
    I'm emigrating to Perth in January, now I've got a 2 year contract for my iPhone with 3, there's about 14 months left on the contract, does anybody have any suggestions on what I should do? What's the cheapest way of hanging onto the phone without having 3 on my back with solicitors letters etc....
    I know I can transfer the contract over to a friends name or whatever but the thing is I'd rather not have to give up the iPhone...

Cheers

well if your emigrating to oz why worry about it, they will hardly come after ya over there to follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

gustafo wrote: »
    well if your emigrating to oz why worry about it, they will hardly come after ya over there to follow it up.

They'll get a judgement in court in his absence, it'll have his credit history screwed if he does come back. It's not the way to finish a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

like everyone else's credit history at the moment eh?

They won't do anything, hand em back the phone and cancel the direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

Another idea is to keep it - you can use 3 in Australia exactly like home - so you get all your minutes/texts/unlimited internet/free 3 calls as you would at home on your contract. Just keep a good eye you don't go over your limits but once you don't it's your normal bill amount. I find it dead handy over here - use it as my main internet source at the moment with the personal hotspot to my laptop. Anytime you want to call home you don't have to worry about costs and skype. Just get a cheap ass phone once you're here then. Works a treat for me - but I only have 4 more months of contract left - 7 when I arrived here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Just call them and tell them your leaving. If they want you to pay out the remainder and you can't, then just keep the phone or drop it off in your local three and cancel the direct debit. Three can't touch your credit score, as it was said above Ireland is riddled with non payments of mortgages and other debit related, do you really think a none payment of a phone bill will cripple you? Also do you even see yourself coming home..... Either keep and go or give it back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

just hand it back or keep it, dont worry about that man very small minor problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Chances are they will transfer you over to Vodafone AU if you ask...they will be keeping your business afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Chances are they will transfer you over to Vodafone AU if you ask...they will be keeping your business afterall.

No they won't ... they will lose money, vodafone Aus are nothing to do with vodafone IRL - apart from the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm having my own headache with meteor. I upgraded my phone, over the phone, after my last 18 month contract expired. I told myself "never again" and I specifically asked for a 12 month contract. Sales person told me how much the HTC Desire S was, I said sounds good and bought it. A few days later it turns up in the post and I start using it.

Oh, foolish me for not confirming and accepting blindly, but he put me on yet another 18 month contract. I have 12 months left and I'm in Sydney for most of those.

Tried explaining that I am looking for work, funds are limited and I have been a loyal meteor customer for most of my adult life. Would they possibly see reason and give me a 6 month "holiday". No, not at all, wouldn't even compromise. Now that's customer service.

So, I asked to see a signed copy of my contract. Doesn't exist. I entered into a verbal contract over the phone, of which they also have no record of, but the customer service lady says that the sales person confirmed this.

I'm not looking to weasel my way out of a contract, I said to them that I would prefer to pay my debt and avoid any black marks, but I simply can't afford it at the moment. Don't care, keep paying or terminate.

Whatever the outcome is, I will never, ever buy anything from meteor again.

hussey wrote: »
    No they won't ... they will lose money, vodafone Aus are nothing to do with vodafone IRL - apart from the name.

Well this is what was suggested to me by an Account Manager of Vodafone here in Australia recently. Granted it was going the opposite way (Aus to Ire)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

susy wrote: »
    Another idea is to keep it - you can use 3 in Australia exactly like home - so you get all your minutes/texts/unlimited internet/free 3 calls as you would at home on your contract. !
    Your free minutes, texts, data etc doesn't apply when roaming.
    Well this is what was suggested to me by an Account Manager of Vodafone here in Australia recently. Granted it was going the opposite way (Aus to Ire)

That doesn't mean they were expecting you yo pay the buy-out fee as per the contract, he might have forgot to mention that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

They won't transfer you (AFAIK) but they could set you up with a new contract (or a contact) etc etc

you're contract is with Vodafone IRL, which has no relation to Vodafone AUS (contract wise)

If I am wrong please let me know!

This is what I was told by my ex vodafone workers, as Mellor said you'll still have to buy out contract wise

hussey wrote: »
    They won't transfer you (AFAIK) but they could set you up with a new contract (or a contact) etc etc

you're contract is with Vodafone IRL, which has no relation to Vodafone AUS (contract wise)

If I am wrong please let me know!

This is what I was told by my ex vodafone workers, as Mellor said you'll still have to buy out contract wise

I have passed this info on to someone who is moving home, so I will keep you informed about how she gets on and if the early exit fee applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm having my own headache with meteor. I upgraded my phone, over the phone, after my last 18 month contract expired. I told myself "never again" and I specifically asked for a 12 month contract. Sales person told me how much the HTC Desire S was, I said sounds good and bought it. A few days later it turns up in the post and I start using it.

Oh, foolish me for not confirming and accepting blindly, but he put me on yet another 18 month contract. I have 12 months left and I'm in Sydney for most of those.

Tried explaining that I am looking for work, funds are limited and I have been a loyal meteor customer for most of my adult life. Would they possibly see reason and give me a 6 month "holiday". No, not at all, wouldn't even compromise. Now that's customer service.

So, I asked to see a signed copy of my contract. Doesn't exist. I entered into a verbal contract over the phone, of which they also have no record of, but the customer service lady says that the sales person confirmed this.

I'm not looking to weasel my way out of a contract, I said to them that I would prefer to pay my debt and avoid any black marks, but I simply can't afford it at the moment. Don't care, keep paying or terminate.

Whatever the outcome is, I will never, ever buy anything from meteor again.

:)

Good news for you DirkVoodoo.
    Unless Meteor can produce (on your request) a signed copy of your extended contract (detailing the new duration), or an audio recording of your phone acceptance of contract extension, they don't have a leg to stand on.

How do I know?
    a) I'm an ex-meteor employee
    b) I recently nullified my 18-month contract with them as they filled out contract documentation incorrectly.

I would also say to the OP that you should ask for the signed copy of your contract also. You'd be surprised how many times these cannot be located!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bobert4011

just wonderin wat i could do wit my vodafone contract before i ring them.. headin to oz also, but hav nearly 20 months left on a contract,, any ideas? can i just change over to vdf aus?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

smartblaa wrote: »
    :)

Good news for you DirkVoodoo.
    Unless Meteor can produce (on your request) a signed copy of your extended contract (detailing the new duration), or an audio recording of your phone acceptance of contract extension, they don't have a leg to stand on.

How do I know?
    a) I'm an ex-meteor employee
    b) I recently nullified my 18-month contract with them as they filled out contract documentation incorrectly.

I would also say to the OP that you should ask for the signed copy of your contract also. You'd be surprised how many times these cannot be located!

Ha, cheers!

Yeah, I asked for a signed copy, they said that they had spoken with the salesperson who had confirmed this and "made a note". total chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mmm88

Hi,

Am in a similar situation myself, planning on going to oz in feb, and took out the 24 month contract with vodafone (I know your with 3 so it might be similar) last June.
    So phoned them yesterday to see what my options are as I was a bit worried, they said I can do the following:

He advised that you have to be with vodafone 6 months before you can change your price plan tarriff.
    As I will be with them 6 months next month he advised me to reduce my tarrif.
    When I am moving to oz he said to phone them and let them know.
    I can then get my phone unlocked and bring it with me, while reducing my monthly payments with vodafone to say €30 per month - which would be easier than buying the contact out

The other option was to get someone else to take over your contract, which I don't think would be a great idea.

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

18 months at $30 is $540, thats hardly a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mmm88

Yeah, I agree, I suppose its better than getting in bother with them though.

Advertisement