Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we about to see the end of the border petrol station?

Options
  • 19-11-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭

Petrol and diesel has risen to around the 149.9c mark in a lot of the stations I have seen in border areas.

The Budget in a few weeks will add 2% in VAT, another 3c.

Perhaps excise on fuel may increase too.

And rumoured to be another increase in carbon tax, which will push it higher.

It will no longer be cheaper than buying your fuel in NI, so is this the end? Perhaps we will soon see the traffic going North to fill up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

It will happen for sure I just don't think myself that it will happen for a good while yet.

You look at places like Bridgend, 2 of the petrol stations owners (with stations currently in the south) own land 200 metres further down the road on the north side of the border in prep for this. You'll find that it'll be the same for other border crossing's, Muff and Monaghan are the same ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

You look at places like Bridgend, 2 of the petrol stations owners (with stations currently in the south) own land 200 metres further down the road on the north side of the border in prep for this.

What's the plan there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

NIMAN wrote: »
    Petrol and diesel has risen to around the 149.9c mark in a lot of the stations I have seen in border areas.

The Budget in a few weeks will add 2% in VAT, another 3c.

Perhaps excise on fuel may increase too.

And rumoured to be another increase in carbon tax, which will push it higher.

It will no longer be cheaper than buying your fuel in NI, so is this the end? Perhaps we will soon see the traffic going North to fill up?

I think the only thing stopping it from happening so far is the weakening of the euro against sterling, think a euro is worth just over 85 pence at the moment, lowest its been in a long time

What's the plan there?

Whenever fuel gets to a stage where it's consistently cheaper on the north side of the border they then pretty much move the whole kit and kabbudle over the border the the cheaper side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's always been the way. One side and then the other. It used to be cheaper on the northern side of the border (years ago) and people from the south went to the north to fill up. The Centra shop on the Buncrana Road in Derry used to be a filling station...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Whenever fuel gets to a stage where it's consistently cheaper on the north side of the border they then pretty much move the whole kit and kabbudle over the border the the cheaper side.

Surely the costs of moving the station outweigh the profit from such a plan?

Surely the costs of moving the station outweigh the profit from such a plan?

Seemingly not, they have been at it for year's (as penfailed says too). All you have to do is look at the constant queues at the texaco station in the south in Bridgend then check the price and check the price in Callaghan's (maxol) in Burt. they are always around 5 - 10 cent more expensive on the border but still get people queuing to use them pretty much constantly.

Trust me they make more in one week than a station in Letterkenny makes in a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 derek1974

Plans afoot for an increase of around 2-3pence/litre in Northern Ireland in January so with the week euro prices in the south will still remain cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Both petrol AND diesel are 149.9 in castlefin today. I thought diesel was always cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

irish1967 wrote: »
    Both petrol AND diesel are 149.9 in castlefin today. I thought diesel was always cheaper.
    nope

from an article this week (in German) of the equivalent of the Irish Times in Munich
    The wholesale Diesel price in Rotterdam has risen from 56 Cent per litre in May to 64 Cent now.
    Super on the other hand has fallen from 55 to 52 Cent.
    http://www.sueddeutsche.de/geld/teurer-kraftstoff-wenn-diesel-fast-so-viel-kostet-wie-benzin-1.1194982

You can see there that theres a markup/ tax of the guts of a euro, but in purchase price itsself Diesel is about 20% dearer in the wholesale market than petrol currently.

Diesel has got dearer because essentially its coupled to heating oil demand, and because its now winter along with the bit of a recession making people postpone their heating oil purchase till the last minute - there is now a big demand which from basic economics will tell you that the price rises!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement