Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

archos 101 or archos 101 g9?

Options
  • 19-11-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi everyone,
    bought an archos 101 for christmas and have now seen that the new archos 101 g9 has come out,im wondering is it worth bringing it back to get the new one?

thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Don't hold me to it (I could be wrong) but I think the later one has just the ability to link to 3G networks.
    If that is true and you think that is something you would find advantageousness, its a decision only you can make knowing your requirements and possible normal for such a tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The 101 G9 has newer more powerful hardware, and a newer build of Android. Supposedly they've improved the screen also but I havent seen them side by side yet.

If they are the same price it is a no-brainer. If they G9 is more expensive then you have to decide for yourself if it is worth it.

Don't the previous version of archos 101 have an Android upgrade ability anyway?
    There are links to that ability in another thread here presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lagosboy

oh realy? well that would be good because then the only difference between them would be improved hardware,if you could u post the link that would be great.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lagosboy

thanks for the advice

• Advertisement

lagosboy wrote: »
    oh realy? well that would be good because then the only difference between them would be improved hardware,if you could u post the link that would be great.thanks

Care of member kazper: http://arnovatech.com/support/updates.html?country=us&lang=en&p=2

Instructions if needed also: http://www.archos.com/support/support_tech/firmware.html?country=ie&lang=en&g=8

There should also be a direct update ability on your tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

cubix wrote: »

Here's someone's thoughts: http://androidforums.com/gome-flytouch-3/300526-flytouch-3-quick-review.html

Looks like there is issues with sound and portrait view to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Biggins wrote: »
    Don't the previous version of archos 101 have an Android upgrade ability anyway?
    There are links to that ability in another thread here presently.

No. Gen 8 is stuck with Froyo, they will not offer an upgrade past this.

You can hack it but the hacked version is unstable and not recommended for the average punter, only techy types.

The link you posted is Arnova, thats a cheap line of tablets developed by Archos Chinese partners that Archos puts their name on. The hardware is completely different from the 'real' ARM Cortex based Archos models. I don't recommend them at all, cheap junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks, is the viewing angle on the archos 101 really that bad. I see PC are doing the samsung tablet for 450ish, how do they compare with ipads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement