Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i get a cd copy of redhat?

Options
  • 19-11-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

i know it opensource but my internet connection is ****e - would take about a week to download.
    anybody know of any magazines or anything that would have the latest version of redhat?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Just to be clear what you want...
    Redhat sell their enterprise linux version RHEL.
    But Redhat do release free distro called the Fedora - which tends to be more cutting edge but perhaps not so stable (in the enterprise sense).

But do you want redhat specifically or Linux generally?
    If you need RHEL look for a copy of Centos which is a free clone.

Easons sell a bunch of Linux magazine that typically include a DVD on the cover. But if you do need a specific distro & version then you might have to wait a while until that version is on the cover.
    Or you might try
    http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/linux/centos

Ubuntu will also mail you a copy (5 actually) of their latest version - but charge £5 for delivery. Cheaper than a magazine - but you get nothing to read! :)
    http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=915

Is there no place you can go to get a fast download and put it on a USB key perhaps? Maybe the local library?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Quite often a question on the distro's support forum, asking for someone to help will get you what you want.

There may be a user living close by ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I can post you a copy of whatever distro you want if it's available for download. I wouldn't like a crappy internet connection to prevent someone from experiencing the power of Linux.

PM me your address and I'll burn a disk with the Live CD/DVD of whichever distro you want.

You could try ILUG too. They have members countrywide who can provide distros.

http://www.linux.ie/community/cdburners.php

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

Firstly thanks for the replies - much appreciated.
    croo wrote: »
    Just to be clear what you want...
    Redhat sell their enterprise linux version RHEL.
    But Redhat do release free distro called the Fedora - which tends to be more cutting edge but perhaps not so stable (in the enterprise sense).

But do you want redhat specifically or Linux generally?
    If you need RHEL look for a copy of Centos which is a free clone.

I need the closest to RHEL 6 thats available for free.
    i guess its centos 6.0 then for me :)

i guess its this then i need to download?
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/centos/6.0/
    will that have everything i need?

Orion wrote: »
    I can post you a copy of whatever distro you want if it's available for download. I wouldn't like a crappy internet connection to prevent someone from experiencing the power of Linux.

PM me your address and I'll burn a disk with the Live CD/DVD of whichever distro you want.
    Thanks thats too kind but cant take you up on the offer - id feel guilty haha - if i can just get the correct links ill find somewhere where i can get it downloaded without taking up peoples time. I didnt find any magazines at the weekend with it..

• Advertisement

Fair enough. The offer stands anyway if you change your mind. I've plenty of disks and a fast connection with a cap so high it doesn't matter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Yes, that is what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

You might be better off looking at Scientific Linux, which is another RHEL derivative. They have, of late, been quicker off the mark than CentOS in getting new releases out the door. I would have had a certain amount of loyalty to CentOS, but recently they have been a bit slack.
    You can get a 30 day eval of RHEL too, if what you really want is RHEL, not a derivative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

These guys can post you out a copy:

http://www.linuxcd.org

Prices seem reasonable, as they can only charge for postage (Free Shipping Worldwide (DVD orders only))
    and the media, and not the software due to licensing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Firstly thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Thanks thats too kind but cant take you up on the offer - id feel guilty haha - if i can just get the correct links ill find somewhere where i can get it downloaded without taking up peoples time. I didnt find any magazines at the weekend with it..

Fedora 16 just got released. I'll happily send you an official copy, or a copy of CENT OS if you prefer. Don't worry about being guilty, I'll do it on company time on the company dime. Even throw in a Fedora sticker ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement