Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four foot bed!

Options
  • 19-11-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Myself & the boyfriend moved into a rented house about 2 weeks ago.. not realising there was a four footer in the bedroom.

It's tiny. My bf is 6 ft 3 (&1/2) and does not fit in. It's so uncomfortable for both of us. Tossing & turning etc. There's only 6 inches between a double and a four foot but feels like so much more.

I nearly fell out 3 times this week!!

If it was you would you request a new bed from the landlord? Would your landlord abide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What size is the room? Can it handle a bigger bed :confused:
    (I'd imagine there is a reason your LL put it in there)

IMO, a 4ft 6 is a standard double. A 4ft is a double bed alright - albeit a small one - and generally for small rooms.

Is it the same bed that was there when you viewed? If so I think it's a bit rich to ask for another one and your LL has every right to refuse.

But worth a try I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Thanks for reply! The room could take a king size it's a great size room.
    The same bed was there on viewing yes, just didn't cop it! Doh!

Worst she can say is no so it's worth a shot alright, just wanted a few opinions first !

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

foundry wrote: »
    Thanks for reply! The room could take a king size it's a great size room.
    The same bed was there on viewing yes, just didn't cop it! Doh!

Worst she can say is no so it's worth a shot alright, just wanted a few opinions first !

4ft 6 isn't a particularly big bed either, particularly for someone > 6 ft. I found this size very cramped for two of us and we're both small enough. Personally I'd look into getting my own King Size (5ft) or 6ft bed and spending a bit of money on something of good quality with a good supporting mattress. The likes of what you get in Arnotts etc. for €1500. Worth the investment as landlord beds just give you backache. Then get landlord to remove other bed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

robd wrote: »
    4ft 6 isn't a particularly big bed either, particularly for someone > 6 ft. I found this size very cramped for two of us and we're both small enough. Personally I'd look into getting my own King Size (5ft) or Queen Size (6ft) bed and spending a bit of money on something of good quality with a good supporting mattress. The likes of what you get in Arnotts etc. for €1500. Worth the investment as landlord beds just give you backache. Then get landlord to remove other bed.

King Size is 5' by 6'6", Queen size is 5' by 7'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

King >= Queen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size

Califonia King/Queen is the only 7' long bed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

astrofool wrote: »
    King >= Queen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size

Califonia King/Queen is the only 7' long bed.

I wouldn't trusr everything on Wikipaedia!

Apologies. I originally knew a 6ft bed as just a 6ft bed with no name, and had incorrectly thought they had ben called queen size of late. Wikipedia says Super King, which is a term I've never heard used.

The main point is that a 4ft 6 bed is still very small for a 6ft+ guy.

All beds in Ireland to my knowledge are 6ft 6 not 7 ft.

Thanks for replies, I won't be spending 1500 on a bed. I have no money to contribute! It is a bit lousy to ask LL. Don't think I will!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thanks for replies, I won't be spending 1500 on a bed. I have no money to contribute! It is a bit lousy to ask LL. Don't think I will!

Go on ebay. A lot of companies sell fantastic quality mattresses for a fraction of the costs in shops. Most won't send to Ireland but some will and you'll save a bundle. Just get a great mattress and then a cheap but sturdy box frame from anywhere. You could have a great bed for €300. A good bed and bedding is the best money you will ever spend. We spend a whole third of our lives in bed, more time than we will spend in any other place and on any other piece of furniture.

Here's the cheapest king size ortho mattress totalling less than €165 at today's exchange rate; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5ft-Kingsize-Bed-Crown-Orthopaedic-Quality-Mattress-Only-Thickness-8-5inch-UK-/180745610078?pt=Beds_Mattresses&hash=item2a1547235e

And here's the cheapest king size memory foam mattress totalling less than €205, with free memory foam pillows and a cooling mattress cover. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5FT-KING-SIZE-10-INCH-MEMORY-FOAM-MATTRESS-FREE-PILLOWS-/180657069758?pt=Beds_Mattresses&hash=item2a10001ebe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

robd wrote: »

Apologies. I originally knew a 6ft bed as just a 6ft bed with no name, and had incorrectly thought they had ben called queen size of late. Wikipedia says Super King, which is a term I've never heard used.

The main point is that a 4ft 6 bed is still very small for a 6ft+ guy.

All beds in Ireland to my knowledge are 6ft 6 not 7 ft.
    I have a 7' bed. Beds can't be made in any size. I get my beds from a guy in Capel St.

• Advertisement

I take it you're both young with no problems with either insomnia or back pains so.

My view on spending money on beds is only a more recent thing due to getting a bit older and suffering with a 4ft 6 Bargain Town bed for a few years.
    These type of beds have a base top made of cardboard, with 4-5 white deal lats, which sags after a years or two from normal use. Jump or fall onto the bed and you'll crash straight through it.

As iguana said we spend 1/3 of our lives in beds. Funny that people won't spend money on this but they'll spending 600+ on an iphone every 18months to 2 years and 1000+ on a 46" flat screen TV every 5 or 6 years.

I have a 7' bed. Beds can't be made in any size. I get my beds from a guy in Capel St.

I presume you mean "can be made" rather than "can't".

As me mother say though, "what about the sheets etc.?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OP my OH is 6ft3 and we have a king size 5ft wide bed. It's a bedframe with a headboard and footboard and is plenty big for him.

You could ask the landlord to supply a bigger bed but in all probability it won't be a decent one. You can get a decent mattress and bedframe in Ikea for well less than €1500 - I think we got one last summer for less than €400 including the mattress which was on offer. It was a metal bedframe, really heavy and solid and the mattress was a decent one as well. We got a mattress topper as well, well worth it it was less than €150 but is very comfortable and adds a bit of luxury to it.

It may be a case of waiting for the january sales but it will be well worth it for sleep quality and you can take it with you when you move or sell it on the likes of donedeal/gumtree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bedzzz

You can get a decent mattress for €250, then get a cheap base or pine bedframe. Worth spending € on the mattress.

This thread was started to ask your opinions on asking LL for a new bed.
    Would you or would you not??

I have no money to spend be it 150 or 1500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You can always ask, but the landlord is well within their right to say no. You saw the bed in the apartment and accepted it at the time. If the only fault with the bed is its size, only a wealthy landlord would agree to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

It isnt lousy to ask for a new bed in a place you are paying a good rent for.
    I would be ashamed to provide accomodation for people that wasnt comfortable, safe and clean.
    If the room is rented for single occupancy the 4ft bed is reasonable but if it is let as a double room it is perfectly reasonable to say the bed is not fit for purpose i.e. you are not comfortable in it.

Going around with a friend recently looking at bedsits I was shocked that landlords are still getting away with things like crap beds, general dirt and lack of maintenance because some people, especially new immigrants, are just too vulnerable to report them.
    In one place I saw water running down a wall onto a gas boiler and the landlord had told his tenants not to worry about it as there was no electricity involved :mad:

Now that I have a house of my own and have rented rooms I realise not only how cheap some landlords are being but how lazy too.
    Householders when they buy a new bed often have to pay to have their old bed taken away.
    Sometimes these beds are relatively new they just dont suit the person for various reasons and if you look around on free sites etc you can pick up a perfectly good bed or various other pieces of furniture for free.

Just keep an eye on the for sale or for free section of boards and you or your landlord can pick up a bargain.
    Try here http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/home-garden/beds-bedroom/162/
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_free+mattress/sortby_best_match-desc/price_0/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

The 4ft 6" bed in the last place we were renting drove us mad. When we moved to a new place recently we got our own 5ft. It's amazing the difference that just 6" makes.

I cant imagine what it would be like two people sleeping every night in a 4ft bed, yuck - I would definetly be telling the landlord and if he/she says no at least they know you're pissed off about it. A 4ft just isnt a double bed, theres no way, it a luxurious single bed!!

Furniture in rented houses is often cheap junk, but as someone else said, you spend at least 1/3 of your life in bed so why accept an uncomfortable mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

This thread was started to ask your opinions on asking LL for a new bed.
    Would you or would you not??

I have no money to spend be it 150 or 1500

I would mention to the landlord that you hadn't noticed how small the bed was when viewing, and let him know that if he a bigger bed anywhere that you'd appreciate it.

In your situation where the bed was there when you saw the place, I certainly wouldn't be demanding anything, but a friendly enquiry won't do any harm.

If I was in your situation, I'd start saving for a new bed, or consider asking family to give you vouchers towards one, but before doing that I'd make sure that the landlord is willing to remove the old bed - you can't just dispose of it.

Advertisement