Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom BB issues

• 19-11-2011 2:07pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, I am out in the sticks in North Co. Dublin, a full 3 miles from Swords so, naturally, no wired broadband for me.
    I signed up with Ice Broadband years ago before they went tits up and were bought by Ripplecom.
    Things with them went very very well up to about 3 months ago when my speeds went through the floor.
    Now I am not subscribing to a massively fast connection, 2/3mb is typical, but now, when ever a bittorrent service is running, my connection speeds take a massive tumble.
    Now I know all about throttling your speeds and what not, it's not that.
    I rang the customer support line and, eventually, was informed that my account had uploaded many many gbs of data and the guy on the end kinda gave me advice on using torrents.
    Thing is my service is completely screwed now.
    Even if I am only seeding I am getting a very slow internet service full stop.

I am not sure if this is a deliberate "punishment" for using torrents, is it a issue with the connection itself or is it something else.

Problem is that Ripple are my only choice for broadband here, no Eircom, no UPC, no Magnet, the only other option is a lousy dongle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Limit the number of connections made by the torrent client, do not let it make 1000 or more connections as they often do but limit it to 10 or 20. Lots of connections can overwhelm routing tables and torrent clients are greedy bastards.

Advertisement