Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting dog into the car

• 19-11-2011 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Anyone with a hatchback - does your dog jump in? I can't get mine to, I actually don't think he's able to. He's a puppy hound with very long legs, and his centre of gravity doesn't seem to allow springing into a car. I've always lifted him, which he doesn't like much, and I don't like much when he's wet and mucky. Plus he's getting heavy now. He'll jump out, but is reluctant and it looks awkward - I'm worried he'll hurt his legs.
    I'm thinking of using something as a step for him, any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have a jeep and a ramp :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok, firstly, if hes a pup, he shouldnt be jumping in and out of the car as it could damage his joints.

I trained my rotties to jump into the car ones they were old enough. I used a treat and a command and basically got them to try and want to go in themselves and reward them when they did.
    Now all i have to say is "Will we go in the car?" and they run to the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Think zooplus sells car ramps if not they're pretty widely available now handy to have or you could make one with a piece of wide timber and carpet tacked on to it for grip. Maybe add a hinge half way down and add the other section to that, that way you can fold it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Unless you worried about scratches on your paint work a ramp is not needed.

St Beranrd, jack rus and rott all get in to car or van no bother. Would agree to be careful with a pup but it's not going to cause to much hassle. As said training to jump will sort it out and make it fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

what age is ok for their joints?
    I hadn't thought of a ramp... would that work for a pup on stilt legs, I can't see him walking up one. Probably the best solution though, I was thinking of some kind of mounting block - but then I'd have to put it in the car as well.
    Maybe he'll be able to jump when he grows into his legs:)

• Advertisement

planetX wrote: »
    what age is ok for their joints?
    I hadn't thought of a ramp... would that work for a pup on stilt legs, I can't see him walking up one. Probably the best solution though, I was thinking of some kind of mounting block - but then I'd have to put it in the car as well.
    Maybe he'll be able to jump when he grows into his legs:)
    I started using one with my guy when he was about one. He has problems with his legs but even if he didn't he's in the car 4 or 5 times a week - him going in and out would be the equivalent of me jumping off a height of 10 feet onto concrete which i know wouldn't do my joints any favours! :p if you're not planning on using the ramp long term I woldn't bother. If you are spend the extra few quid and get a lightweight one - I got a cheap wooden one off ebay and it was just too cumbersome - I have a Solvit one now and it's really handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Well they say not to start agility until a dog is a year old so am guessing a year old. But pups jump on and off stuff all the time like the couch, I don't think jumping into the car is gonna do much damage unless the car is very high and the pup is very small obviously. Dragging a ramp in and out is a bit of a nuisance too, maybe while the pup is small you could use a dog crate although that'll mean lifting the dog.
    Or just get a cheap rainjacket and put it on just before picking up the dog that'll protect clothes from the muck (and sometimes stinky stuff they roll in).

My lot are small so never had a problem and the collie prefers to sit in the front seat with her seat belt on my cars usually filthy anyway lol.

My lot are small so never had a problem and the collie prefers to sit in the front seat with her seat belt on my cars usually filthy anyway lol.

Yeah my guy used to sit in the front until he grew up and got a chunky head and I couldn't see the mirror! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I taught my big dogs to stand with their front paws on the back of the car and I kind of hooshed their bums up into the car. They always helped themselves by giving a little jump but it means you're not lifting the whole weight of the dog, the dog isn't uneasy with a person lifting their whole weight. When they're getting down I put one arm under their ribcage and hold onto their collar and take a good bit of the weight as they jump down, so their joints dont get a big shock hitting the ground. If I tried to put a ramp in the car hubby would have a major sense of humour failure :D He reckons I have enough dog crap in there as it is. I keep trying to explain that 6 dogs requires alot of crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I'd a big collie cross (who sadly passed away last year) who had very bad back legs so we got her a ramp to help her into the car. Best think we ever bought, she'd no problems getting in and out with it and would wait on the passenger seat until you set it up for her :)

My pup Manny is tiny (minature JR and chihuahua cross) and he was very nervous of the car when he first encountered it. I've a jeep and it looks huge in comparision to him!
    I tried to get him to associate the car with going for walks and it worked really well. He now hops in straight away (into the foot area, then up to the seats) when I say "Go in the car"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

ok when I say 'pup' I'm talking about a 6 month old who's about as tall as a labrador:eek: He's part greyhound so there's not much more to him than legs.

@toomanydogs - that's exactly what I used to do, get him to put his paws on the boot and kind lift and shove. He hated it so now he won't put his paws up, and I realised I had been lifting him around his abdomen which is supposed to be bad. Now he gets lifted the 'proper' way, which can't go on much longer as he's only getting bigger.
    I'm wondering is it a greyhound thing, they're not really the right shape for jumping. He doesn't seem to have the ability to spring up, or else his legs are growing so fast he hasn't made the muscle yet:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

At 6 months hes still a pup, they arent really fully grown until a year or more for some bigger breed dogs so def no jumping in and out just yet.

Advertisement