Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words or phrases that should be banned from the english language

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

'Now in a minute.'

Pick one. Goddammit pick one. It's not both.

'I won him' (instead of 'beat')

As previously mentioned, 'like', though I occasional suffer from that one myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

Legend or Ledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Two other greatly misused/misunderstood words/phrases:

'Presently', when people actually mean 'currently'. Correct usage: I am currently here but I'll be with you presently (very shortly).

'It begs the question' when 'it begs the question' does not mean, and never has meant, "it poses/raises the question".

1) 'Begging the question does not mean to bring up the question. It means to present as true a premise that requires proof--i.e., taking a conclusion for granted before it is proved or assuming in the premises of your argument what is supposed to be proved in the conclusion. (This fallacy is related to the circular argument.)' (Source)

2) Begging the question:

"The Right Way to Use "Begs the Question"

Begs the question is actually a term that comes from logic, and it's used to indicate that someone has made a conclusion based on a premise that lacks support (1, 2). It can be a premise that's independent from the conclusion (3) or in a simpler form, the premise can be just a restatement of the conclusion itself (4, 5).

For example, let's say Squiggly is trying to convince Aardvark that chocolate is healthful, and his argument is that chocolate grows on trees, so it must be healthful. Aardvark could rightly say there's no proof that something is good for you simply because it grows on a tree. Some things that grow on trees are poisonous--Chinaberry tree fruit, for example (6). So Squiggly's argument is based on a faulty premise.

Aardvark could correctly say that Squiggly's argument begs the question. What does growing on trees have to do with being healthful, anyway?

I remember what begs the question means by thinking that THEE argument raises a specific question--it begs *the* question--What's your support for that premise? OR more informally, What does that have to do with anything? You use the phrase begs the question when people are hoping you won't notice that their reasons for coming to a conclusion aren't valid. They've made an argument based on a lame assumption. The question is What's your support for that premise?

Here's an example of a simple argument that begs the question. This one just restates the conclusion as a basis for the conclusion: Chocolate is healthful because it's good for you. That begs the question. How do you know chocolate is good for you? Again, the question is What's the support for your premise? or What does that have to do with anything? If I didn't just accept that chocolate is healthful, I'm not going to accept that it's healthful because you say it's good for me. They're the same thing. Make a better argument."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fact...just because you put it at the end of your sentence does not make it a fact.

Most things you consider to be a fact you do not know to be a fact, as you are relying on the word of someone you assume know what they are talking about telling you it is a fact. It's mainly just the first bit that bothers me though....that and simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

"In the context of...." (Usually a filler line for politicians, while they try to think of something to say between their lies).

"Going Forward" (I know, it's prob listed 100 times in this thread)

"Happy out". (Please explain what the f*ck is this supposed to mean, and who's the c*nt that invented it?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

corktina wrote: »
    "Uni" in an English accent...

In fact "Uni" in any accent...

in fact anything in an English accent.

"In fact" in fact.

People who say "English" when they mean "British"

oh fux, thats me then

"Oh fux" that I just made up I think

Yes that annoys me too, I have a friend that says it...she also says 'what will be, will be' and 'the way forward'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

''Believe you me''

What the fúck does it even mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

For the day that's in it
    (in what?)

It's a long road that has no turning
    ????

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Using the word 'fit' to describe somene as sexually attractive.
    Also 'sucks ass' it doesn't even make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

"Boom" at the end of a sentence. I don't what or where it's from but it's annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

And "lippy" as in short for lipstick :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

The words "Random" to describe an event and "Randomer" to describe a person, normally used by women, it's like nails on a f*cking chalk board when i hear it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

This one is soooo annoying but I've said it to people in college before and they literally look at me like I am the one that's mental:

IRREGARDLESS....Oh sweet Moses.. are you actual serious?

Irrespective and regardless have, against their will, been morphed together to form some meaningless NON-word. It makes me want to tear my hair out sometimes. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

'think outside the box' - used almost exclusively by marketing and HR knobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

GENTILITY

i hate that word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

The first one that springs to mind is the word 'retard' when used to insult anyone. Annoys me so much to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

"Who knows? You might even enjoy yourself."

Fooooookk yooouuuuu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Oh yeah, another one is when people overuse the word "contemporary" on those interior design shows. It seems to be the only word they ever use to describe things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Togepi wrote: »
    Oh yeah, another one is when people overuse the word "contemporary" on those interior design shows. It seems to be the only word they ever use to describe things!

I've always (irrationally) hated the word "contemporary". Now I think that ^ may be why :P

Also "succulent", always used in ads for food that rarely looks it.

And "juicy", especially when it's written across some-one's arse on a tracksuit :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

"at this moment in time!"

you mean now!
    Moment (in time):
    noun. A particular period of importance, influence, or significance in a series of events or developments.

Now:
    adv. At the present time.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I absolutely hate the word C*nt. It is the biggest insult ever can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

LordSutch wrote: »
    Sambo.
    Gusset.

Ugh, the word gusset makes me shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I say 'hubby'. :o
    My boyfriend likes to say he "beat it into" me. :pac:

Hope your "Hubby" knows about your boyfriend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Biggins wrote: »
    Bless, he's such a romantic! :D :pac:

I know, he's a keeper! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

baz2009 wrote: »
    Hope your "Hubby" knows about your boyfriend!

Heh, about OTHER women's husbands obviously. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"C*nt"

"I haven't read the whole thread..."

"liberal do-gooder"

"mott"

"I was totally like...*sentence unfinished*" - any young person saying this should be forced to actually describe precisely how they felt in order to ensure that their vocabulary does not further deteriorate.

"bubbly" (unless it's being used literally)

"trending" - We used to call that "popular" when I was a younger man.

"grow" when used to mean "increase" or "develop" in any other context apart from growing plants. Or hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

"Thought leader"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Roflcopter! **** off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

People say "literally" for every God damned descriptive sentence now. It's gotten so pervasive can we just take it for granted a person means literally unless they specifically tell us its figuratively? It would save a lot of hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

cell phone, mug, towelette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Enormity, used in the wrong context, it does not mean enormousness, although sometimes it fits, and you wonder did the person mean it like that..
    AoifeCork wrote: »
    IRREGARDLESS....Oh sweet Moses.. are you actual serious?

Irrespective and regardless have, against their will, been morphed together to form some meaningless NON-word. It makes me want to tear my hair out sometimes. :(
    forget how i came across it, but i found a word to describe words like that, (blended words, not annoying meaningless ones...) portmanteau, (its the french for coat-stand!?)

another example would be chillax, which i havnt heard in a while, thank God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

OMYGAWD

And for added drama......

OH

MY

GOD !

Anyone using this phrase cannot be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Biggins wrote: »
    You made whoopi!
    I have an irrational hatred of this word, especially when used in relation to having sex. Just makes me cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Gyalist wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with 'passed away' as it's been a long accepted idiomatic expression. It's the current useage of passed that irks me. "My father passed last Monday" makes me want to ask the follow-up question: "What did he pass - an exam, water, wind?"

His expiry date :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

John Doe1 wrote: »
    por ejemplo: "hubby"

Mixing foreign languages with English hmmm as you have done above :eek:

Especially journalists who during the boom wrote that something I deemed frivolous and a rip off was

''de rigueur'' :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TheZohan wrote: »
    Exactly, black doesn't even exist...they're just a really, really really really dark blue.
    duine gorm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The reality of the situation...

Speaking as a mother...

Speaking as a mother...

+1

For me I'd ban "Epic".

It's never epic. It just never is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭battleaxe88

Made up words, for example,staycation. To describe holidaying in Ireland!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Might have been said already but things like
    "last night was great but now i am hungover.com!!"
    or 'arghhhh no sleep last night tired.com'

piss. off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

Is mise le meas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

Swag

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

1. Just saying - as in "I'm going on holiday next week, just saying."

2. All text abbreviations - For example lol, rofl, lmao

3. Like - when it is used as every other word in a sentence. "It's like so terrible like that the government like are making all these cuts like."

4. .com - When it is added to an adjective, for example, "I am wrecked.com after the gym."

5. Literally - When it is over used in ridiculous situations like "I am literally freezing my balls off". No you aren't.

6. You know - Same reason as like.

7. Random - Used wrongly too much

8. Me thinks - Just say something like 'I think'

9. Epic - **** off, not everything is good let alone epic

10. To be honest - Please do

11. Amazeballs - Please fúck yourself off a high building

12. Ledge - Just say "legend"!

Feel free to add phrases that you think should be banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

really really naff ones like

hip to the grove :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

"Havin a few drinks wit me girlos"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

"Shot down with its own balls of shite"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Referring to sex as "getting the ride".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

'' Cool post Bro '' (only if it's some sarcastic troll ) :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

The use of the word "place" to refer to a state of mind.

"I know you're looking for a relationship, but I'm just not in that kind of a place right now..."

SHUT THE HELL UP. I know exactly what kind of a place you're in, because I'm there. Talking to you. Stop violating the English language before my brain crawls out through my nostrils to throttle you to death.

Advertisement