Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words or phrases that should be banned from the english language

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Look it....

It simply makes no sense - the words don't want to be sitting next to each other - they don't like being in such close proximity - they're screaming for an 'at' to get between them and make sense of their relationship - yet they're forced together by some gob****e politician from some arsebackwards party on the VB show trying to open a statement of magnanimous importance in a way that he beleives we, the common man, will find convincing.

"Now, look it, we in the ballcock****e party believe x, y and z...."

Oh it really kills me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"We voted them in". **** off and die!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Hit and miss

Logically, it makes no sense. How can you hit and miss something? :confused:

Hit OR Miss is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

smegmar wrote: »

Everyone should have a look at this.

I like that. It's like a big ''fúck you'' to grammar nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

as long as whichever words or phrases are emphasizing/ informative/ clarifying/ funny/ possible play on words and aren't a dredge on any conversation i wont mind them.

however if they are used repetitively(like/ you know/ at the end of the day), and fashionably (omg/ .com), the people who say such utterances should be disposed off. know wat i means like?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

"Knitted"

and

"Fitted".

What should be added:

"Knat"

and

"Fat".

"Granny knat a lovely sweater."

"We all fat on the couch."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Katekat

OMG, ROSH, Like (at the end of every sentence..like
    )........ you have just invited me to hit you.

Also, culchie (I'm not from Kiltimagh twat), Nordie (what nordic?), dulchie (culchie in Dublin)........fooook off. Yes I'm from the country but so the the rest of the foooking country :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Serviette !!! Its a f**king Napkin ..They use that word in various fast food establishments . Since when was Mc Donald's french

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

"I mean"

"With respect" (Stand up Miriam O'Callaghan.)

Veggies, Hubby (It makes people sound like children.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

'ken

As was used to refer to a pint of Heinken by some pretensions twat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

'ken

As was used to refer to a pint of Heinken by some pretensions twat

heino is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Not a word but I hate when people type "bwahahaa" it makes me want to punch them, that has to be the most obnoxious cnut laugh ever :mad:

Also "atari jaguar" because I have no idea what it means and I hate being out of the loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

"You know what I mean bud", "Your Ma",

Two fcuking pointless phrases that make me sick to my guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Serviette !!! Its a f**king Napkin ..They use that word in various fast food establishments . Since when was Mc Donald's french

Napkin was always a weird word to me. In South Africa we always said serviettes. Probably just me getting a bit of the aul colonial blues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Basically every single line from the Irish apprentice:

Especially.. "Thinking outside the box"

Tools...

Basically every single line from the Irish apprentice:

Especially.. "Thinking outside the box"

Tools...
    The tools go in the box! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

box is good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

How about "The war on terror"? (sic)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

"re" as used in the middle of a sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

"anyhow "
    hate that word
    "anyway" is acceptable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

"What's the story?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Collateral damage
    Friendly fire
    Insurgents
    and all other examples of double speak.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

English Language needs a thorough good clean-up and purifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

paddyandy wrote: »
    English Language needs a thorough good clean-up and purifying.

Ja I agree, vee need to eliminate zee grammar juden!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

going forward, touch base and other such jargon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Air quotes.

I don't do air question marks so don't do air quotes at me.

OK - it's not a word or phase but it's still annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I believe the words oh my god, know, whatever, ya and like should never be used in the same sentence

'like, oh my god, you know, whatever'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Thoughts? I don't know why but I can't stand it. Ask for opinions or something don't say thoughts? like some sort of mystical guru!!! A thought is a cognitive process. You see it on forums all the time. 'Thinking about buying a laptop, thoughts?'

I had a female boss who used to say it all the time. 'Any thoughts? Yes I have lots of thoughts would you like me to vocalise one as an idea or opinion you pretentious cow?' :mad:

To be fair I'm a cranky bastard at times.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

People that call a vest a 'wife beater'. Just call it a vest like a normal person would.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

"this last number of years" "modern times" the first wheel was made in "modern times" " at this point in time" "at the minute" "making love" and many many others. celebrating xmas is really celebrating any drinking and partys etc. that may be around and accessible , Grafton street has nothing at all messianic on it this year.Consumerism with a marked decadence note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Pacific.

I have nothing against the Ocean itself, but my boss says Pacific everytime he tries to say specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

'Simples'

fúck you!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I do quite alot of business in Africa and find myself in Tanzania, Zambia, Nigeria alot.

When a Tanzanian or anybody of the Swahili tongue sees a ''WHITE'' man they will say ''Jambo Mzungu'' which basically means Howya white man.
    I have absolutely no problem with this and I believe people that do make a problem out of it need to relax a small bit with the PC

"Jambo" is the Swahili equivalent of "Top o' the mornin'". Would you not understand people getting tired of grinning paddies going "top o' the mornin' Yank!" in a hokey accent every time they saw you? (if you were American, obviously).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

"Its part of their culture" used as an excuse for down right barbaric / criminal/ anti social behaviour
    Slightly behind but in the same vein - "Its part of my religion"

Advertisement